“Woeful service!.....again!”
Review of Carmelite

Carmelite
Ranked #46 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

My company booked me into Carmelite, I did object due my previous visit being a bad experience.
Unfortunately, nothing had changed! Although the hotel decor and rooms are well decorated, the service is woeful! I was left sitting for dinner for 30 mins without anyone approaching to take me order. I gave up in the end. Next morning, again, I was left sitting for 10-15 mins without anyone taking my order. When I eventually placed my order I waited so long (30 mins) that my taxi arrived and I had to leave!
£200 + for a room/night! If it were in any other city except Aberdeen it would be shut!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Whilst thanking you in taking the time to write and share your experience of Carmelite Aberdeen, I am very disappointed in not been aware of your initial and follow up return issues. Carmelite does enjoy many repeat and regular visitors, with my team knowing many quite well. We generally have a passion to ensure we try to put things right when things may be going wrong, especially when there are a few adverse things nagging our guest. Would you please contact me personally so we can communicate and I can better understand what was the cause of these shortcomings you experienced. gary.atkinson@carmelitehotels.com
I am confident once we know what happened when, and track things back, we will learn from these issues ensuring you a return visit won't be so woefull.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Been here numerous times now for meals, with husband, friends, parents etc. Always had excellent service, always made to feel very welcome and never had to wait long to be seated (although always book in advance) Food is beautiful and very good value for money. Good choice. Only reason I didnt give 5 is I am not keen on the lack of parking spaces round the area, hate parking at Union Square but often have to

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent positive dining experience of Carmelite Aberdeen.

I appreciate you choosing Carmelite, and acknowledge your car parking comments. We actually enjoy having over 4000 car parking spaces within a 7 minute walk as well as many on street parking spaces. That said, being in the busy Merchant Quarter area, with 15 other restaurants and 25 bars around us, the car parking spaces are in high demand.

Thank you fit spending valuable time with us, it's especially pleasing to read when guests and customers have such an enjoyable time.

I sincerely hope the short walk to and from one of the many car parks, when the on street parking is busy will not deter you from returning and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Went for afternoon tea with friends for a birthday as two of us shared the same birthday.
Ordered drinks the tea no choice of brands ie Assam or Dar Jeeling only Tetley or flavoured tea.
Then the tea came but the sandwiches and cakes did not come for at least 10 min by which time the tea was luke warm. and I was expecting to use a cup no it was mugs. So a lot of improvement called for here. Little complaints but they do not help you enjoy your afternoon tea.
So would not go back to the Carmelite or recommend afternoon tea there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Carmelite Aberdeen.

Whilst disappointing to read your comments, I welcome the opportunity in reviewing constructive views so we can learn and improve. I can assure everyone we so normally have a full selection of teas, which when questioned my team, these were found.
The team have discussed your and other guests/customers comments, and continue to on a weekly basis to make any improvements - many are made immediately, although some take a little time when requiring to retrain team members.

I sincerely hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate such improvements, and we look forward up welcoming you back. Please drop me a line when you have made a booking. gary.atkinson@carmelitehotels.com

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was at Carmelite on Sunday the 6th of April for afternoon tea with my husband. I was really looking forward to this but I have to say we were rather disappointed. It took ages for someone to come over to us and take our order for tea or coffee. Eventually someone did and when my husband asked for a soft drink instead it seemed like it was a big deal for her. Then I asked what the sandwiches were and she said Salmon, Egg and Ham. I asked if these could be changed and she said no since we were using a voucher. Since we were not paying the full price for the afternoon that we were not as important that was how it felt. She said she would see if the sandwiches could be changed. Once we got everything the sandwiches (yes they were changed) they were small, really dry and had hardly any filling, how hard is it to make a nice sandwich. Also not once did anyone come back over to see if everything was ok and ask if we needed a re-fill of tea etc we just got forgotten about. The experience in a whole was rubbish and I would not rush back. All I can say is I am glad I paid £10 for a voucher and didn't have to pay the full £20.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Carmelite Aberdeen.

I'm saddened to read your extensive list is disappointing standards and clearly we did not meet not exceed your expectations. Apologies for these shortcomings.

We serve hundreds of afternoon teas per week, even though the relatively few adverse comments that people place on trip adviser, we so generally get things right.

On this occasion we clearly didn't and I would appreciate you contacting me direct to further discuss how we can regain your loyalty to Carmelite.

gary.atkinson@carmelitehotels.com

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Visited the Carmelite for afternoon tea on Friday 28 March. Really disappointing, with dried up sandwiches and tiny wee slivers of tray-bakes. The mark-up must be absolutely massive. Lovely service from the waitress, but in terms of value for money a massive thumbs down.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your afternoon tea experience. Even though your comments are adverse, and I apologies for these shortcomings, I welcome the opportunity to review and question my team's performance in how we can improve from what our customers tell us.

I'm sorry you didn't receive our normal great advice and food quality. We do many afternoon teas on a weekly basis, but I can assure you we do not sit on our laurels, nor take our customers sharing time and choosing us lightly. I an also assure everyone that an afternoon tea comprising of scone, jam, cream, strawberries, 1 & a half sandwiches, tray ale and cake, tea / coffee at a ex VAT price of £8 does not generate masses of profit. We try to offer all our menus at reasonable and fair pricing, at a good wholesome standard.

I believe we generally please most of the thousands if monthly customers we serve, and acknowledge we may occasionally get things wrong which if advised at the time, we will truely endeavor to put right.

Clearly we did not with your visit and I am truly sorry.

I would appreciate you contacting me direct, whereupon we can discuss ways to regain your loyalty to carmelite.
gary.atkinson@carnelitehotels.com

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I celebrated my birthday here with 20 of my dear friends, it was the first time I had been and I have to say I absolutely loved it. My experience from making the booking with lovely Lauren, excellent and attentive service from Louise right down to a wee sing song with the piano player as we departed. The place was absolutely buzzing all day, lots of noise and the sound of people having fun to me makes Carmelite stand out from most of the bland restaurants we have in the city. They are thinking outside the box by offering themed "Mad Hatter Parties", afternoon tea at a bargain price of £10. All of my friends really enjoyed the food they ordered and we will definitely be returning very soon!! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent positive Mad Hatter Tea Party experience of Carmelite Aberdeen. We do set out to be innovative and quirky, and not simply a' link in a chain'.

I appreciate you spending valuable time with us, and it's especially pleasing to read when guests and customers have such an enjoyable time.

Check out our new Waltzer 'spinning booth' fun fair package ideal for 4-8 fun loving diners. ! It's on radio advertising from Tuesday.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is my 3rd stay here was a little disappointed this time room did not have bath asked to change to one with bath and got another without, noise awful from 6am onwards not a good sleep ended up leaving early

Room Tip: For the price of the rooms you can get just as nice a room at holiday inn or jurys inn for cheaper p...