“Most Helpful Staff, Great Location & Rooms, Ideal for Biz or Leisure”

Skene House Rosemount
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
New York
“Most Helpful Staff, Great Location & Rooms, Ideal for Biz or Leisure”
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I recently stayed at the Skene House Rosemount hotel for a week while in Aberdeen for my wedding. The staff and general manager helped us with all types of questions and planning for nearly a year before we even arrived. Upon arrival they could not have been more helpful and generous in assisting us and our guests with every request or question. Their rooms fall in two categories (1) apartment style or (2) standard hotel suites. Apartment style rooms are a great value if traveling with a group as they have up to 3 bed rooms, 2 baths and a kitchen. The hotel suites have recently been remodeled and would be equivalent to a Hilton DoubleTree, Hyatt, Marriott or Westin room. The continental breakfast is excellent and cooked breakfast is a great value too. Location is central and you can wall to all the city centre attractions. I've stayed at a number of Aberdeen hotels and this is the best value and location for the price plus you won't find more helpful staff. While no on-site fitness center the hotel provides passes to the top private fitness club in Aberdeen a short jog from the hotel for a nominal fee.

• Stayed April 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 April 2009

This collection of suites makes you feel at home. You may have heard that before, but it didn't hold a candle to this establishment. Home meant that my name was on my own doorbell and that I had my own address. The staff turned my room within minutes of me leaving and kept my ice box full of milk, orange juice, bread, and condiments.

Here's where things differentiated themselves:

When I wanted to leave things for other guests, they weren't happy holding them at the desk... they delivered them to their rooms.

When I asked if I could drop my bag off in the lobby, they delivered it to my room.

When I asked where to return my rental, they returned if for me.

This is truly amazing... they found my film in the room after my departure and contacted me. They offered to have the film processed and sent to me. And then they did.

Truly amazing. This is by far the best service I've ever experienced in all of my extensive travels. I've never seen anything like it. Not in any of the five crown or five star hotels I've stayed.

Aberdeen is a great place to visit only becomes a perfect place when you understand how well you will be taken care of at the Skene House.

Robert Moody

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moody54
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2009

We stayed in these apartments for 7 nights during August with our 4 month old baby. Originally we were booked into the newly opened block which was beautiful. Very modern, sleek, has lifts and everything we'd normally need. However, with the recent addition to our family a one bedroom exec apartment was just too small to be comfortable so we were moved into an older two bedroomed apartment just across the road. It was much more suited to families but very dated in style and at the top of a tenament building with no lift and a narrow stairwell. I'm not complaining though because it had everything we needed to be comfortable with our wee one and enough space to have friends round without waking the baby. This two bedroomed older apartment was actually cheaper than the fancy new one bedroom we had originally booked.
The staff were just lovely and took our pram away every night and stored as there was no way we could have carried it up the stairs. They helped us lift all our bits and pieces up and down the stairs as we needed it. The rate includes a breakfast pack with bread, milk, cereal, juice etc. which is delivered to your fridge everyday. There is internet available WiFi in your room or a computer in reception. There is always a pot of hot coffee, shortbread and a friendly face in reception which almost makes the trek down for a cuppa worth while! The apartment was cleaned everyday by a lovely group of ladies.
The trek to the top floor fairly kept us fit and is obviously unsuitable for those with even a minor disability but if you are fit and up for the climb this is a good, bit dated but perfectly acceptable apartment and a reasonable price. If you are a business traveller or a couple I would suggest you book yourself into one of the newly converted apartments in the old church, quite small but perfectly formed with all the gadgets you could need and just enough of a kitchen to open a bottle of wine and eat a takeaway.Oh and I have to add that their response when we set the firealarm off was fantastic! I've never seen someone move so fast up a set of stairs as the guy from reception did. The alarms in the block are very sensative and this was a regular occurence but wouldn't you rather have it that way than the other?

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 24 September 2008

In September 2008 I went to Aberdeen on a short business trip. I was not sure where to stay so I asked a colleague of mine that had been to Aberdeen before and he said “Stay at Skene House on Rosemount….but be sure to ask to stay in the church”. I found “the church” bit a bit odd but I followed the advice and booked the room.

The taxi from the airport was about 15£ and when I arrived the check in was fast and the receptionist called the concierge to show me to my room. It turned out that we had to walk out of the reception and walk across the street and into “the church”. The building itself looked a bit old but was we walked in the glass door it was easy to see that this was a building that has been refurbished recently. I got room 505 and when I opened the door I came into a tiny hall with three doors. One of the doors led to the bedroom where I found a king size bed with small tables on each side, a wardrobe with about 10 hangers, a small desk with drawers and a mirror. The room looked pretty modern with the wooden furniture, white painted walls…but I’m not a big fan of carpets. I like my beds a bit soft and I found the bed at Skene house to be quite hard.

The other door in the hall led to the living room. The room included a kitchen table with two chairs, a two seat sofa, a chair, a living room table that could be stored under a desk and a Samsung flat screen TV on the wall. And one of the walls of the room was actually a full kitchen with s small fridge, a microwave oven, a water boiler, a stove…and the kitchen also featured cutlery, plates, glasses etc. In other words excellent if you are staying for a while.

The third door in the hall led to the bathroom which was tiled in light tiles on walls and floor. The shower was behind a glass wall and I was a bit worried that the water would splash all over when showering but this was not a problem. I was not very impressed by the amenities by the way: shower gel, shampoo and soap was all I found.

Location:
The hotel is located on Rosemount Viaduct so for me it was pretty central as I could walk to the places I was going to visit for business and it only took 5-10 minutes to walk to Union Street. There is also a SPAR store near if you need to run out and buy something.

The breakfast was served on the 1st floor and the breakfast was not impressive in any way. It contained the usual cereal, fruit, toast, cheese, ham, Danish pastry, yogurt etc.

Conclusion: all in all I have to say I’m very impressed with Skene house Rosemount. I guess I was not expecting much of the hotel but I got a huge, modern room and a hotel that was located in the middle of it all. And to top it off they also included wireless internet access which is great when you are travelling alone and can use the nights to get some work done. I would not mind staying at Skene house again. It did not come very cheap by the way. I think the bill was about 170£ per night so it is above what I would pay if I was travelling for leisure.

• Liked — Huge room, modern, location, free internet
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business