“Function Staff could not do enough to help”

Aberdeen Northern Hotel
Ranked #56 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My wife and I went along to the Northern to have a look during daylight hours prior to a recent function for about 80 family and friends.

We had been to the hotel for lunch a few years prior and knew that it was perhaps showing it's age a little.

The reception staff were polite and immediately summoned the functions manager. He introduced himself and from that point did everything he could to accommodate us.

I'd say that the function suite could benefit from a coat of paint but in all honesty, when the tables, chairs and decorations were sorted, it turned out to be pretty spot on.

The bar was adequately staffed and the manager was attentive, frequently checking that everything was ok.

We also had hot food for everyone half way through the night which was a choice of macaroni or stovies. Both were excellent.

I read some negative comments about the parking situation but a fair number of our guests used the retail park just next door. 90% of the shops are closed at night so no issues.

All in all, we were very happy with our function. Anything we needed was found for us and I'd say the manager went the extra mile.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I just dont understand what some people want for their money, three of us stayed here on monday 17th for one night in a family room, Basic room but very clean and spacious the food was delicious and the staff very helpfull.5 mins from the town..overall an enjoyable stay at a very good price

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Went for lunch at 1pm, our meal came eventually at 1.40pm (It did say on the menu that roast chicken would be 20 minutes extra). The chicken was definitely not roast chicken, it was pure white in colour, probably steamed and very rubbery. The "seasonal veg" consisted of 3 chunks of nearly raw turnip, 1 green bean, 1 corn and 3 semi hard sprouts with a floret of cauliflower. The meal had a drambui sauce which was so strong. The mashed potatoes were lovely though. My husband had fish and chips. The fish was edible although very watery. I got my roast chicken meal deducted form the bill but it still came to over £16 for 2 apple juices and fish and chips, over priced for a lunch time. The staff were very apologetic and did off to get an alternative meal.
Defiantly wont be back and will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This supposedly 3 star hotel has all the charm and chrism of a nursing home with decor to match. There are staff in the hotel, but don't make eye contact, it unnerves them. If you unfortunate not to have a room in close proximity to the lift then you will miss out on the delight of listening to that trundle up and down to about 2 in the morning. But do not disheartened as the sqwecky fire doors throughout will constantly remind you that your hearing is okay. The rooms do have plug sockets but watching TV whilst making tea is not possible, it's either one or the other. However, if you are not making tea and wish to enhance your tv viewing enjoyment, it may be beneficial to bring binoculars. As a hotel if you want a nights sleep it can be achieved here. For good nights sleep chose another hotel!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 26 January 2014

First impressions were, 'Oh no, what have I booked', but then appearances can be deceptive. It would appear that it's more of a transit hotel for the oil workers but don't let that put you off. If it's opulence you're after, ah-la the Hilton, then this isn't the hotel for you, but if you want something that's within budget then this is a gem. My only niggle on arrival was the (Polish?) girl made me wait until she had finished her email before attending to me - possibly a cultural thing...
The rooms are moderately furnished but quiet, clean and tidy. My bathroom had a very good standard of décor (but the provision of a just net curtain between me and the city council depot made showering something of a performance if you left the light on).
The restaurant had a limited menu and perhaps those on a diet may struggle to find something to their taste but, again, think of the target clientele. The cooked breakfast bar has slices of haggis - WONDERFUL - and sets you up for the day and the coffee is in real mugs. I'm usually a Radisson and Hilton person when I'm away for a few nights so for me this was a surprise, but a pleasant one. Congratulations Northern Hotel, you made a fan out of me.

Room Tip: Before unpacking, check that people can't see into your bathroom, ha, ha.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Had my wedding at The Northern Hotel at the start of November 2013. Was given fast and friendly service throughout the planning- nothing was too much trouble. On the day of the wedding the rooms were set beautifully and just how I wanted. All of our guests commented on how great the food was and thanks to managers Eric and Robert we were all made to feel at home and my wedding day was one to treasure! Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Had a ball! Party night and stayed over! No faults with either. Good Hotel that gives you what. Staff were happy to help when I didn't have phone charger and provided me with one. Would go back tomorrow but Xmas only comes once a year! See you next year Northern Hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends