“Awful”

Ranked #58 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Lothians
“Awful”
Reviewed 22 September 2007

This hotel has a wonderful deco exterior. The interior is however tired and desperately in need of refurbishment. When I stayed (room 211) there was a function on, and the noise from the event was horrendous. I'd have been as well trying to sleep in the lift. The room was tiny, the view, once you managed to extricate your way through double triple slidy glazing nonsense was straight into the room next door's bathroom. The walls are paper thin, I could hear the people next door turning the pages of a newspaper!. The restaraunt was staffed by a young oaf who obviously saw his customers as an inconvenience to his mobile phone based social life. Please avoid if you have any alternative options. (and there is no parking - don't leave anything in your car that you are emotionally or financially attached to!)

• Liked — The exterior was quite interesting.
  • Disliked — The room was a cupboard.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank cauldcoats

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 18 April 2006

My partner and I decided to stay as we were attending a function in the hotel.
We found the staff to be efficiant, hard working and they all went out of their way to make our stay pleasant for us.
We didn't have a meal in either of their two restaurants as we were having a meal at the wedding but both restaurants and menus looked lovely.
The meal was exceptional and none of the wedding guests had any complaints.
Well done with the refurbishment.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 May 2005

I booked myself and a colleague into this hotel for 2 nights and I found it to be a lovely friendly staffed hotel that could'nt go more out of there way to help, I did'nt know Aberdeen at all but they were more than helpful to help out with directions.

We ate in the restaurant that was really busy that night and the food was delicious.

Thumbs up to the staff

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 March 2005

We were attending a function at the Northern Hotel.
This was a treat.Can't fault the hotel in anyway durind OUR stay.
Very clean and friendly. Nice treat for us was the Art Deco theme which makes this hotel different from others we have stayed.
I would recommend this hotel and the meals we had were very good and the hotel has a choice of dinning areas.
Hopefully might get back.

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 May 2004

The foyer and restaurant are nice. The staff are welcoming and the location is ok.

Rooms are over priced. I didn't prebook, the lady wanted about £90 and I spoke her down to £50 incl breakfast. The room was really poor. Probably one of the worst I've ever stayed in. It was so hot (must have been next dooe to a boiler or something) that I had to sleep with the fan on all night (it only had an hour timer so I kept waking up and having to switch it on again and again). The room only had a tiny window which looked straight on to a wall. The decor was terrible and the bed was really uncomfortable. I really hope that this was one of the rooms that was due for refurbishment!!!

There are much much better hotels in Aberdeen that don't charge as much as this place. I thouroughly recommend trying some of the alternatives.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Reviewed 21 February 2004

after staying at the northern hotel with it's pleasant staff and art deco feel, we had a nice experience at the hotel and found the location perfect for our visit to aberdeen. we payed ?55 for our room and were pleasantly surprised as we had been allocated one of the refurbished rooms overlooking the city. we enjoyed our stay at the northern hotel and will go back.the cuisine was MAGIC.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 1 August 2003

Erroneously described as having 'undergone major refurbishment to bring it up to high standards of decoration and service expected from a Top Class City Hotel ', my Northern Hotel experience was a nightmare. The hotel was neither the top class city hotel it claims to be; nor did it bear any semblance to a hotel that has recently undergone 'major' refurbishment. I fact, a printed note on the table in the room claimed that 'that the refurbishment has not yet reached' the room I was staying in.The carpets were filthy; the lifts (elevator to our American cousins) creaked as it took me up to the floor my room was on. A 'musty' smell that pervaded the whole hotel nearly made me sick and the furnishings in the room must have dated back to the late 70's. In less than 5 minutes, I had checked out and distinctly remember that the hotel staff did not seem surprised by my decision. At £50 a room (which I was told was a special rate when I made my reservation by telephone), it wasn't worth the trauma I suffered.As I hurriedly made my way out of the place, I remember the Receptionist telling me that I will not be charged for the room. I hope not.Be good to yourself, Stay at the Hilton Treetop (Springfield Road) instead

11 Thank Phoenix94