“Nice old but updated Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Macdonald Hotels

Macdonald Hotels
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Bedford, Canada
“Nice old but updated Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights and was impressed by the size of the rooms. I was here on business and noticed a wedding took place on Friday. The staff were nice and helpful when needed. I found the prices of food and drink in the bar were a bit high. But I guess that's what you have to expect when staying in a fancy hotel in Aberdeen. Overall very comfortable stay, clean rooms, an awesome lobby with the wood burning fireplaces and amazing workmanship. I would recommend people to stay here.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms were hard to find ...kinda like being in a maze
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Marrakech, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in a suite. The room was very spacious, comfortable and traditionally decorated but with all mod cons. Comfy bed, large TV, tea and coffee making facilities, ironing board etc. Lovely big bathroom with bath and separate shower.
Breakfast was very good, big choice of cooked or continental. We also had dinner one night in the restaurant and the food and the service could not be faulted.
We will definitely return and we would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

My wife and I got a room with breakfast and a 3 course evening meal for both of us for £99
The room was new a good size and the bathroom was great.

The meal was ok, nothing special but when included in the room price you really cant complain. Drinks in the bar are pricey. We received excellent service from the staff extremely helpful.

Will be going back

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We booked the restaurant for a party of 10, because we wanted to celebrate a special event. I asked the reception that we wanted a private room but what we got was a table at the far end of the restaurant.
The whole place was so dated and had little to no charm left. The staff were reasonably helpful but quite incompetent.
The waiter asked us what we wanted to drink without even providing us with a drinks menu, he then got our order wrong.
The food was nothing more than sub standard a tasteless affair. I have no idea about the hotel rooms but if the ambience of the restaurant was anything to go by I would give it a miss.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

As soon as they get your money they are not intrested in provinding service or helping with any issuses with after care. The hotel relys on the looks of the building which is nice but is starting to look tatty rather than old i.e holes in pictures on the walls parts of the coving missing in reception.Staff have poor customer service skills Waited over 20 mins for breakfast as no one was taking care of the room, check in took 10 mins once you finally got to the desk as the 1 person on answers the phone rather than dealing with paying guests. Water dripping from what looked like a smoke sensor in the event hall was not a good sign.

Room Tip: Go else where
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed here recently and was blown away by the decor, Victorian oak panelling and high plasterd ceilings. The bay windows are surrounded by some of the best wood detailed work I have seen anywhere and a marvel just to sit and look at, thick deep pile carpets, drapes that must be a century old,
The suites are sumptious and grand, oozing class and take you back to a by-gone age of decadance and granduer that is a pleasure to sink into.
Resaurant is devine with food that makes your mouth water when you read the menu. I started with Pigeon breast on black pudding with baby beetroot, succulent and melted in the mouth, Main was corn fed chicken with mash and a broth of vegetables which looked just too good to eat but was devoured and I could have licked the plate clean, cheese selection followed and the mouldiest but tastiest cheese I have ever tasted was accompanied by sweet dry crackers. One of the best dining experiences I have had made better by the service of the young staff working there.
All in, l very highly reccomend a stay here if you care about or want to impress someone you hold dear.

Room Tip: Any room is an experience worth paying for
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank graemeholmes69
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

Got a great Groupon deal for Norwood Hall and went with my boyfriend for our anniversary. Norwood Hall is in beautiful grounds, and the reception is just mindblowing (open fire, luxurious decor). Our check-in was pleasant, and our junior suite was very beautiful. Open, airy, clean and comfortable, we were especially pleased with the large bathroom and comfortable bed. We went down for afternoon tea and thought it was delicious, and was very pleased to get a hot chocolate especially made for me by the very attending waiter!

We had a very comfortable night's sleep, had a lovely warm shower and had delicious Scottish breakfast the following morning.

The only problems we had was with room service. When we went down for afternoon tea, we asked reception if we could get our ice bucket filled. When we came back, this hadn't been done, but when I asked again in reception they did this very quickly. Later in the evening I ordered a bottle of Prosecco from room service. I was told it would be up in 15 minutes as they were going to chill it. Half an hour later, the door knocked and a room service lady asked if we needed anything. I explained we'd ordered wine, and she went to investigate. 5 minutes later she returned with desserts. I explained we hadn't ordered these, but ordered wine, and she seemed to not believe me! About 15 minutes later the wine finally arrived, but it cost £30.50! To give some context, the hotel has 'mini bar packages'. The platinum package, which includes a bottle of Prosecco, beers, vodka, gin, tonic, cans of coke, crisps and chocolate is only £28.00. How one bottle of Prosecco was so expensive, I'll never know.

After discovering how expensive the wine was, we decided we might as well order the Platinum package. However when I called down they said it was unavailable. I asked what in particular was unavailable, and the desk clerk merely repeated 'it's unavailable'.

Like I said, a very comfortable night's sleep, although we were woken by a leaf blower under our window at 0800, which isn't the best way to wake up!

Norwood Hall is a lovely hotel, but I can't help but think that if their service got an extra touch of sparkle, it'd be a very special place to stay.

Room Tip: Take your own drinks! Ask for a junior suite. Get a room on the East wing of the building, away fr...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple