“Great overnight stay !”

Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Troon, United Kingdom
“Great overnight stay !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Booked the hotel through Hotel Connexions who were great organising mid-week accommodation in Aberdeen at an excellent rate.

The hotel has a wonderful country house feel and the porter kindly gave us a short tour and quick history of the house and family.

It is quite amazing to think that a place as grand as Norwood Hall was actually someone's home.

The room was a good size and beds very comfy.

The ambiance of the hotel was refined and classy - looked like a terrific conference or wedding venue.

The breakfast was super especially the porridge which was served on a wooden platter with separate small dishes for fruit/nuts and perhaps honey - a delightful trademark dish from Macdonald Hotels.

The staff were all very professional, helpful, courteous and friendly.

WIll likely return on another trip to the Granite City - highly recommended !

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building which could be rather warm in the summer - even in Aberdeen :)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NorwoodHall, General Manager at Macdonald Hotels, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review and I am glad you received a warm welcome upon your arrival. We are proud of the history and stunning décor of the hotel and our popularity as a venue for weddings and events.

I am glad you enjoyed an excellent breakfast and you were pleased with our service.

I look forward to your return on your next visit to Aberdeen.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here in May for a family wedding. Only writing this now because last night I stayed at another Macdonald hotel which was worlds apart.

This place is beautiful, clearly well looked after, the staff were all very professional polite and friendly. My room was lovely, not the best view but I didn't care. Very clean, comfortable and had everything I needed.

The wedding itself was also great. At the dinner we were served beef but not the usual wedding 'sliced bits of beef in gravy' I'd expected. It was more like a steak and the meat was so well cooked that it fell apart when cut. My brother is a chef and was genuinely surprised by the quality as well.

Bizarrely the general manager (who held the back of my cousin's wedding dress) is someone I used to work for a long time ago at the Thistle Aberdeen Altens hotel. That place was a disgrace I'm not afraid to admit and if she's definitely the GM of the Norwood then she's doing a MUCH better job here.

Would definitely stay again. Had a discounted wedding rate room so can't comment on price but I had late check out to 2pm and it cost a little more than £100. Which was what I was told the room would be itself, so that was a nice surprise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found your room to be comfortable and well equipped.

I will be delighted to pass on your compliments to our staff and our chefs. We take great pride in the quality of food produced for our guests, including weddings and large functions, using local, sustainable products wherever possible.

I hope to welcome you back to Norwood Hall sometime in the near future.
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed there Friday night to prepare for wedding on Saturday. Woke up and got a full cooked breakfast then got our hair and make up applied followed by sandwiches for lunch. Gluten free especially for me and lots of bubbly. Went to Blair's chapel for a beautiful wedding service then back to hotel for an excellent meal with a special gluten free menu for me. The service was excellent and the weather was lovely until evening with a major downpour but didn't put anyone off.The bagpipes were great, the bride and bridesmaids beautiful and even the dog was well behaved. A wonderful day was had by all and no one could find anything to complain about.A special mention to Portsoy ice cream for a lovely afternoon of dishes everyone loved them and all the sweets at the sweet table and Sillysnap photos everyone loved dressing up and leaving messages to the happy couple. A totally brilliant weekend well done Norwood Hall Hotel. Thankyou

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Morag R
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Our chefs are always happy to prepare food to accommodate any dietary requirement.

I am delighted to hear the wedding went perfectly and a great time was had by all.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Two day business meeting in the conference centre and stayed the night in the hotel. Good facilities for the two days and excellent food and service. Hotel room was very spacious (old part of the hotel) and they serve a really good breakfast with continental or British cooked options. Love the Stornoway black pudding!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. Our original house has 10 unique bedrooms each with their own character.

Our breakfast selection is always very popular and I am pleased you enjoyed it. The authentic Stornoway black pudding is a very popular choice and a trademark of Macdonald hotels. I will pass on your compliments to our chefs and staff.

We hope to welcome you back again, whether it be for business or leisure.
Chesterfield, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We spent one night at Norwood Hall while visiting Scotland. We felt welcomed right away and Craig gave us a brief tour and history of the home. Thank you for the recommendation of places to visit as we left Aberdeen. Yes, Craig, the fish and chips at The Bay WERE the best. The home is beautiful, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
NorwoodHall, General Manager at Macdonald Hotels, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am delighted you enjoyed a nice warm welcome. Craig is an asset to our team ensuring that guests are provided with all the information they require to make their stay at the hotel and in the area as memorable as possible. I look forward to seeing you again when you next visit Aberdeen.
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

An excellent weekend visit.From Lauren on reception to Helen breakfast supervisor before I left a very relaxing weekend. The food was excellent and well presented. The room I had was facing the rear but that was good because it was quite. Previous reports have mentioned the price of drinks but find them comparable with similar hotels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
NorwoodHall, General Manager at Macdonald Hotels, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I will pass on your compliments to Lauren and Helen. I am pleased you found the room comfortable and well located. I am also happy that you enjoyed the bar, where we offer a wide range of premium malts and a quality wine selection.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have been traveling to Scotland regularly on business and this time I stayed at the Norwood Hall in Aberdeen. I was glad I made that decision as the stay here has been fantastic. The staff are very friendly and make a point of knowing your name. The dining experience was outstanding(very good breakfast each morning) and the rooms quite comfortable. For my future trips, I will be staying here as long as there are rooms available.

Room Tip: if possible stay in the original house. Those rooms have loads of character.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your compliments forward to our staff and the chefs. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your future trips to Aberdeen.