“Grim, avoid at all costs”
Review of Colwyn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aberdeen
Colwyn Hotel
Ranked #62 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
glasgow
“Grim, avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 11 June 2008

this place is awful.it is rundown, smelly,dirty and should be avoided at all costs. My room was on the ground floor with a big sash window which had no catch to keep it closed. the carpet was filthy, the main light did not work. the radiator had no control and there was a fan heater which I would not go near, as the electrics and wiring looked ancient. the loo flush broke immediately, the sink was cracked and the shower cubicle was mouldy. the shower only provided slightly warm water, although sink did give hot water. Breakfast was cereal and 2 bits of white toast. The bar looked awful, only went into it to check in and out.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank mischka66

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 9 June 2008

I felt I had to contribute to this website having read the reviews placed by previous residents.

I found my recent stay at the Colwyn to be particularly pleasant, the room catering for my limited needs and the staff more than helpful. The hotel is in central Aberdeen yet noise levels were minimal, ensuring I awoke from my restful slumber in the large, comfortable bed, fresh-faced and raring to go for the busy day that lay ahead.

Room facilities were excellent, with the provision of tea making facilities a particular highlight - imagine my astonishment when I returned to the room at the end of the day to find that the hotel had replenished the twin pack of Bourbon biscuits I had wolfed down earlier in the day - now that's what I call service!!!

Another nice touch was the provision of a fire escape within the bedroom. I'm not sure if this comes as "standard" in all rooms however it's nice to think that the safety of guests is paramount.

All in all the hotel is fantastic and, as detailed above, clearly customer focussed. I would recommend it for those wishing to stay for 1 night or 1 month, it really is a fantastic place to base yourself when in the city.

In short, a hidden gem.

• Liked — Central location and a relaxed ambience
  • Disliked — No sea view
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
drymen
Reviewed 8 January 2008

i stayed at ur hotel well working near by and found my room untidy and uncoftbell it smelled like smoke on arrivel and also on arrival i had no tv controler i also did not like the food u had on offer for bar meal i would not recamend u to anyone eles and have already gave a report to my work on the hope that i do not have to stay with you again.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank lesleyj26

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

scotland
Reviewed 28 November 2007

I`m not usually one for complaining about things but after our recent stay at The Colwyn Hotel,Dee St,Aberdeen I felt I had no option. First impressions were....the place is a bit rundown but it`s only one night,so after paying for our room (Mistake!!) we were horrified when we opened the door,there were punch holes in the wall and also in the toilet door,broken lock,a window with no lock,filthy carpets,a bed which had been slept in (pillows were stinking and lower sheet creased),spiders webs hangin of the lampshades,plastic tray to catch water from a leaking pipe from a radiator which was next to a filthy electrical switch and the strip light outside our room was full of flies or insects.

On a plus side the toilet was clean and it was warm (the radiator couldn`t switch off) and there were fire alarms whether they worked or not and the dining room looked respectable but we didn`t stay for breakfast.......!

The couple with us was on a ground floor and they too had no lock on their window,the toilet wouldn`t flush in the mornin and a dodgy tangle of wires in the corner of their room and the same filthy carpets.

The only reason we stayed was because we know how hard it is to get accomodation in Aberdeen throughout the week but if we`d had our children with us we would have tried elsewhere.

Even the taxi driver who picked us up next day said "It was a bit ropey" AVOID!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The filth
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)