“Was ok, not brilliant....”
Review of Cults Hotel

Cults Hotel
Ranked #50 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow
“Was ok, not brilliant....”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed here one night whilst on business and upon a recommendation from a friend. The hotel is on the outskirts of Aberdeen and in a quiet suburb. Parking is at a premium, but you should eventually be able toget a space. I had asked for a quiet room at the end of a corridor which, on first impressions is roughly what I got. The rooms are very tastefully decorated and I would go as far to say that it is of the quality of a 4 or 5 star hotel, given that the bed was also one of these super king sized things.

things were going quite well until I heard a mobile phone going in th room next to me. As the gentleman in the next room answered his call, not only could I hear his side of the conversation, but also that of the person on the other end of the line. I gave the wall a light tap and noted that it would appear the rooms are only separated by a stud partition wall with little or no soundproofing. It was further confirmed when the lady in the other room also took a phone call and again could make out every word. Now fortunately, neither of them were loud snorers and neither watched the tv too late, so I had a very sound sleep, but I cold imagine this being a problem for others.

The had a meal at the restaurant downstairs as the food came highly recommended. I was directed to a table which I sat at, but I noticed that every time someone walked past me, the table and all of its contents lurched to one side, because of a group of obviously loose floorboards under the carpet. it annoyed me so much, I moved to the other seat to minimise its effect. I ordered Lasagne, as the other meals were a bit too grandiose for my liking. It did say it came topped with cheddar cheese, but they didn't say it comprised of a large layer of cheddar cheese. It was way too much and nothing like a genuine oven cooked lasagne, so sorry guys, bit of a letdown here.

The staff were great and the value of the room tariff also good, but I couldNt let this pass without comment.

Room Tip: At the very end of a corridor
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank gazburns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Moray Scotland
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Having been to this hotel many times over the last 12 yrs I want to say that the food is consistently excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Cornwall
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Visiting the nearby Camphill Village at Newton Dee, I was looking for somewhere to stay and found the Cults Hotel on the internet. As my stay would be split between a 2-night and 1-night stop I rang to discuss prices, rather than try and book on-line. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful (and remembered me when I saw her later).
Arriving by taxi from the airport (£19.50) in the early evening for the 2-night stay the reception was unstaffed, so (wheeling my suitcase) I went through the restaurant behind reception to ask the busy barman if I could sign in, which wasn't a problem, but I felt a bit intrusive. (My problem, not the hotel's).
Having signed in I took the lift upstairs for Room 1. I was gobsmacked! I hadn't expected anything like a room such as this! Huge, *very comfortable indeed*, and clean with an enormous bed, and probably the best hotel shower I've ever found.
The only slight downside was the view (there wasn't one), and the shaving light was broken, but that didn't matter as the light in the bathroom was plenty bright enough.
Returning downstairs to the restaurant I was again pleasantly surprised by the variety of dishes on offer, and plumped for Cajun Chicken followed by coffee and a whisky (well, it is Scotland!). This came to £21, which I felt was a reasonable price.
At breakfast the next morning I discovered the true meaning of a "Full Scottish Breakfast". The word "Full" is a good one, and I wondered when I would next feel hungry!
Returning later in the week for my 1-night stay I was a bit taken aback to be told that there was a function on, so to give me a good night's sleep they had decided to put me in the "Annex" (Room 13). This is accessed via a door next to the local post-office, and a VERY steep and somewhat faded flight of stairs behind it. (no lift). I really wondered what I'd find, if this wasn't the main part of the hotel, but need not have worried. My room was as big, clean, bright and comfortable as Room 1, with what appeared to be a brand-new bathroom. My only slight concern was that the shower-head did not connect properly to the shower-hose, so leaked constantly when in operation. I also discovered that the toilet cistern needed adjusting as the flush didn't stop. And the TV wouldn't turn off, which was an interesting scenario.(the remote needed new batteries, I thinkl). I also didn't find the coffee-making facilities until I was about to leave the next morning - I had obviously not been looking for them properly! (But I slept soundly and I didn't hear any sound at all from the function in the main building). I reported my minor concerns when I booked out, and the receptionist said she would take note.
I would stay here again without a moments hesitation. Though its on a main road there was no sound of traffic at all. Buses pass by regularly, too, so its easily accessible from Aberdeen, though if you're going to or from the airport use a taxi as the traffic into the city is incredibly slow.

Room Tip: Room 1 and 13 were on the back of the hotel. Annex not accessible by disabled people, as far as I co...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ironingman
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed a Saturday night. Incredible value for money for Aberdeen. I have stayed in a number of larger chain hotels in and around the city but this was the best yet. Five minutes from the city centre, easy to find by car or public transport. Rooms were first class, tasefully decorated,well appointed, spotlessly clean, great roomy en suite with all facilities. The staff were pleasant and attentive in the bar and at breakfast which was very good. There was a function on in the evening when we returned from the city but there was no absolutely no rowdiness, the music was not too loud and finished at 0015. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: We had rooms 4,5 and 8, all doubles and all were great, 4 and 5 large room with small balconies
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
york
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights as we were at a friends wedding in Aberdeen, friendly staff, fab restaurant food, gorgeous hotel room and great tasty breakfast!! would certainly recommend

Room Tip: room 15 was fab!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed one night at this hotel as we were attending a wedding reception and found it faultless. The hotel and room decor was modern and exceptionally clean. Bathroom was spotless, very bright with an excellent shower. Food at the evening reception and breakfast was very good and well presented. Staff attentive and very pleasant. Would definately recommend this hotel and will be returning to sample their dinner menu.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

A great place to stay just ouside the city centre but on a direct bus route. Rooms are on the small side but spotlessly clean with good bathrooms. Excellent individually cooked breakfasts and a good restaurant. Helpful staff on reception too.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family