“Very disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 102 Aberdeen B&B and Inns
United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We went to this hotel for a family meal and up to the point of dessert, everything was really good.

My wife ordered an unusual sweet of ice cream with chillies and banana. We politely waited, on a hot day in the conservatory for approximately 20-25 minutes after order and I then spoke to the young waitress who could not have been more apologetic. Our sweet arrived and it was clear that it had been plated very quickly but forgotten in the kitchen. Saggy cheesecake and melted ice cream all round.

The ice cream chilli dish was simply awful. Melted ice cream and warm bananas, not sliced but cut in half with the hard stalk ends still on. My wife informed the same waitress who again apologised and said she'd speak to management. A short time later, a female, not in uniform and wearing no name badge stood at the end of our table in silence. We all just looked at each other wondering who she was until she broke the silence with "I hear there's a problem with the food." We were stunned at her absolute rudeness. She all but dismissed my wife's complaint saying that the dish had been a good seller historically. After a few minutes of ignorance, despite being told the rest of the meal was great, her final words were "what do you expect, it's bananas and ice cream."

We were left mildly embarrassed and angry with the response we had to what was clearly a genuine complaint.

I subsequently e-mailed the owner Julie Lyon and outlined my complaint. The response was quick and promised an investigation of the matter. I received no such explanation and a few weeks later I again e-mailed Julie Lyon. I have heard nothing further on a matter which could be easily put to bed.

I am unimpressed with the customer service and follow up by the owner in this case. I have tried to be fair by giving a reasonable time for resolution of the matter but that time has come and gone.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Westhillfly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Brilliant wee family hotel.great staff, great food, brilliant atmosphere.lovely beer garden too.very busy on hot summer nights.stayed both in the hotel, and surrounding area too, but was always drawn to the ferryhill for dinner.love it.

Room Tip: Any room looking on to the gardens is ideal.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Business night stay over on route further south, this hotel was basically a let down, i used it this time as i like to differ my accomodation and give a bit of variety to what is quite a tedious job being away from home, your food was of sub standard and the service was slow , im putting this down to the lack of staff on duty, i wont be using this hotel again

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Visited on a lovely summer day knowing they served lunch outside. Went inside to find menu met by very rude waitress who said the menus for outside dining were in the hall however they had run out of menus so had to ask again. There was then a long queue in the bar to order drinks and food eventually my order was taken after 10minutes waiting during which time my friend was sitting on her own outside. The food was served to us but no cutlery so up we got again to find the cutlery. The prawn Marie rose sandwich was pretty tasteless and my friend left most of her cheese and ham sandwich. The food was reasonably priced and the setting is good but probably won't be back anytime soon as the service was poor and the food just ok.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My sister booked here for our family to celebrate her graduating from uni, we walked to the hotel, but with having 5 children in a party of 11, it was suggested we phone and let them no we will be 10 mins late. My sister phoned as we were walking to be told we had no booking!!! Even thought it was booked 3 weeks earlier and with someone my sister thought was the manager!! After disgussing this with 2 different people, the hotel provided us with a table but we would need to wait 20mins. After getting our table the meal was nice, the children had jugs of dilute juice and tap water!!! Couldn't fault the food, after our meal we sat outside in the lovely gardens enjoying our end to a great day! The bill was settled and we asked if we could buy a bottle of dilute juice from them, which they charged £2 for and we left. I found the receipt today and had a wee look, much to my disgust I discoved that after paying reasonable £2 for a bottle of dilute juice, we were charge £19.20 for 12 pints of dilute juice mixed with tap water!!!! Now knock me down with a feather!!! £2 for a bottle of juice which they would not have used a whole bottle for 12 drinks and £17.20 for TAP WATER!!! Must be the most expensive tap water in the country, and probably the only place that charges for tap water!! We bought 4 bottles of wine which worked out less expensive than the jugs of juice!! We were also charged for a BBQ sauce after them asking if we wanted any sauces!! There was no apology for the mix up with the booking or the wait and certainly no offer of a complimentary drink!!! After driving 150 miles to celebrate the graduation the cost of water and sauce together with the mix up of the booking rather sticks in my throat!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We had a fabulous family celebratory meal for 11. Our table was in the conservatory restaurant which had a great atmosphere, food was fab with an excellent selection, and staff friendly and attentive. Thank you!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Lovely for a family meal as guaranteed to have something on the menu to suit everyone's taste. Had many good meals in here but last time, I have to say, the chicken was very dry and not very pleasant to eat. Having had other good meals there, I would still give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family