“Toddler accident in concrete pothole”
Review of The Den & The Glen

The Den & The Glen
Ranked #31 of 152 things to do in Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Toddler accident in concrete pothole”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My daughter was walking across the concrete at the Noddy cars when she tripped in a huge pothole and seriously cut her knee. This is purpose built for children, but hasn't evolved since the 1970s. We no longer use concrete and the least that can be ensured is that it is maintained.

I told the 'owner' and lady at the gate who could not have been less interested. The only concern she showed was when I mentioned making a complaint, that did not help my wee lassie.

This place is a serious safety hazard and ridiculously out of date. I was disgusted by the blasé attitude and lack of concern for children - after all, aren't kids supposed to be who they are catering for.

We will never go back, neither should you!!

Visited July 2014
5 Thank marie_laverock

Aberdeen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Day trip”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Having not been to Storybook glen since i was a child i was looking forward to taking my daughter for her first time. As we pulled into the car park we noticed they now had a soft play area called the Glen. We paid our admission which entitles you to time in the park and also time for the kids in the Glen before you leave, for 3 adults and 2 children it cost under £20 which was good. One thing that was disappointing was the lack of maintenance on the walkways and in the wooded areas where most paths have now been blocked off due to over growth by the looks of things. There was still plenty for the kids to do and play with which was our main reason for going in the first place, so all in all a good day was had in the park. We then made our way to the Glen play area which was really great for the kids, the staff seemed really friendly and it was a good atmosphere. If you wish to eat in the Glen be prepared to empty your wallet as the prices are steep in my opinion. For a panini with about 6 crisps and a little dish of coleslaw was around £5. A good day was had but could have been so much better if the park was maintained better bringing it back to its former glory.

1 Thank Alzer17
Forfar
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“QEnjoyable day out.”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just back from a visit to Story book Glen with husband, two children (7 & 4) and sister in law. For £18 for all of us we had a lovely day out then our son and daughter had a play in the Den while we enjoyed a coffee.

When we got into the glen our son was running about in excitement and couldn't decide what direction to go first. Our daughter was giggling away at first figures we saw and loved it all. Us adults fondly recalled childhood visits there.

I admit not much has changed in the glen since our childhoods but we did note many of the figures had been fixed and were in the process of being painted to brighten them up. And to be honest I like the fact that the figures are simple and allow the children to use their imaginations and recall nursery rhymes. There is no technology interfering with the simple act of playing.

Having hens of our own we were delighted to see some hens and a cockerel greeting visitors, all in good condition.

Only improvement we felt was needed was the water to be cleaned up. It was quite smelly and overgrown so some characters could not be seen. If it was cleaned up I imagine it would attract some wildlife as well.

We will definitely visit again.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Milne34
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Living on past glory....”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Having never been to Storybook Glen before but hearing a lot of good reviews from friends that visited 'back in the day' who said it would be ideal for little ones to have a good day in I bit the bullet and headed out from Aberdeen with another family coming along also.

It is well sign posted and easy to get to and there is a good big car parking area.

Upon approaching the payment booth I thought this is going to be good as they even had living exhibits and this one here was The Wicked Witch of the West.... unfortunately it just turned out to be a member of staff who appeared completely uninterested in welcoming us to the Glen and in her job in general. Shame.... we started of on the wrong foot immediately.

We followed the directions that were grunted at us and headed down into the Glen.

Its like stepping into a drug induced nightmare... very few if any look like the characters they were supposed to represent and to be honest were pretty scary with their faded paint falling of their faces. The displays however are ideal to capture a childs imagination but just need to be made a little more child friendly and less run down. We seen a few chickens, a cow and 2 pigs who seemed pretty bored too.

Don't get me wrong the setting is really nice and on a sunny day would be a glorious sun trap and ideal location for a picnic and a walk.

This place has so much untapped potential but it is not being exploited to its full I found it quite annoying. Honestly... close it for a month, refurbish all the attractions, get all the undergrowth cut back and send the staff on a customer relations course and there you have it.

The day we went on was rather drab and so our picnic outside was a no go. We then decided to go into the Den and the adults would have a coffee and the two 2 year olds would have their picnic indoors. We were told in no uncertain terms that the children were not allowed to have their picnic indoors. At this point we decided to leave, the kids had a quick bite to eat in the cars in the carpark and then we left. I mean... how much trouble would it have been to allow a 2 year old to eat a cheese sandwich indoors out of the rain.

So in closing the setting is good, the children did enjoy it and were oblivious to the shortcomings of the glen as expressed by the adults. Its let down by unenthusiastic staff, overgrown grounds and displays in need of an overhaul. If Storybook Glen is to fail from sliding into obscurity and closing the owners need to act now before its too late.

Visited June 2014
8 Thank ShaneGreer
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Disappointment at Den in the Glen”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Visited here on a warm day. 10 minutes after my kids had been playing in the play area, which I paid just under £5 each to enter, they were told they couldn't play on the equipment because they weren't wearing socks. I asked if these rules are published outside before you pay, adding that if they were I might have been able to make a decision about whether or not to enter. The rules are not published outside, and it was all the more disappointing when other children were playing without wearing socks and the staff didn't pick up on this.

Don't expect anyone to listen to you if you have an issue. The staff don't have a clue how to handle customer issues.

Other than that, the place is nice enough inside. Just remember to take socks for your children, and hope you don't have any issues while you're in the place.

20 Thank TripMember121620152