All reviewsthe executive loungepoolside roomclose to the airportswimming poolleisure areashuttle busmain restaurantthe ground floorcity centresized bedrooms are spaciousbit datedbusiness tripweekend breakenjoyable staydycebp
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I had to stay a few days because my travels were delayed and my company put me in this hotel. It certainly wasn't my choice and I wouldn't choose to stay there again.

Location:
Good for access to Dyce industrial areas and the airport. Not scenic. No nearby tourist attractions. Purely a business hotel and for large functions like marriages.

Architecure/Decor
My first impression was "What a hideous building!".It looks like a 80's government office building. Then when you enter there is a mix pseudo gothic country house with pathetic design that looked like a undergraduate had discovered 3D Cad!

The room:- smallish rooms with small bathrooms, bath tubs and no seperate shower. Toilet is crammed between bath-tub and sink so the toilet roll holder is directly under the fron of the sink! Any guess what happens when you wash your hand and face?

The beds are very comfortable.

The TV system was bizaare as the architecture and even more annoying! It takes the TV system ages to get to the menu and then takes ages to changed from one channel to another. No international news chennels like CNN or Al Jazeera. Very poor selection of channels. Very perochial. I vote this as the worst TV selection I have seen in a 4 star hotel. I kept getting messages from the TV channel system saying something about the service request not being available. The maintenance staff came twice but couldn't resolve this.

Service:
Excellent. The staff were charming though there seemed to be a lot of 'low-cost' workers. Trainees, people past the age of retirement etc. Not that there was a problem with these staff but it looks like a policy of saving money on staffing. The staff were really helpful. The hotel gives a free taxi service to locations in Dyce.

Maintenance:
No maintenance staff during the weekend! Manager had to fix the coffee machine in the Executive Lounge!!

Food:
MMhh! Not up to standard. I was served a salad with old leaves looking yellow round the edges. Found the food to be a bit bland and poorly presented. The hotel bar and reception smelled of scampy and vinegar at mealtimes!! Yuk. They have a very strange policy about milk. You can have skimmed or semi skimmed milk! No full fat milk for your cereal! No real bread only supermarket 'plastic' bread which is all gluten, water and air.

Swimming pool and Gym:
Not good. Small pool crammed into a enclosed courtyard surrounded by rooms with plate-glass patio doors opening directly onto the corridor around the pool. Very strange and a voyuers paradise! I found it very odd seeing into peoples rooms as I went to look at the gym which is a glass room in the same area. People in the rooms can lie on their beds with the lights out and see the people swimming and working out in the gym!!

Internet:
Wifi only available in the bar and exective lounge. No wifi in rooms! Very expensive! Only one computer available in the executive lounge.

Wheelchair access is ok but there is no lift to the 1st floor.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have good views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Very good hotel, you can sleep in perfect condition. Room is very big, bathroom very clean. Breakfast is good. Very good option is to have access to lounge. Then you can use free wi-fi. Location is very close to airport.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Right from the word go we received a negative impression of the hotel. Having previously lived in the area we were aware of the look of the building, so were not put off by that, but our check in experience was not exactly welcoming. There were a quite a few people checking in at the same time and 3 receptionists, 1 male, 2 women, the male kept disappearing into the office, 1 was checking 2 people in at a time and the other well took at least 10 mins to check in one couple. Once they went it was our turn, but the receptionist chose not to even acknowledge us by saying I will be with you in a minute, but kept her head down and was writing something down extremely slowly. The other receptionist finished checking in everyone else and then called us over. Once she had given us our room keys she said have you stayed here before? We said no and she said oh well do you need me to go over times for meals etc Hmm that will be a yes, so she sighed as if it was a bit too much effort then told us. We headed off to our room, with vague details of where to go, found it eventually. Once inside it was a fairly standard room and like others have said was a bit dated. Having stayed at MArriott hotels before we were looking forward to the breakfast as it is usually one thing you can guarantee to be of good quality, how wrong could we be? We arrived for breakfast at a decent time, were shown to our table and told to help ourselves to the breakfast. I walked across to where the cooked stuff was and was absolutely appalled, apart from the fact that there was very little choice most of what was out was empty or nearly empty or all dried up. The scrambled egg had a brownish colour and a skin on it, the sausages were hard and when my husband went to get his, he observed the sausages being reheated in what looked like a microwave. I left most of mine on my plate, not daring to eat it. When the supervisor came to clear my plate she didn't even question why there was so much on my plate. The pastries and rolls were almost empty so I couldn't even fill up on those, I tried to attract the attention of someone to ask, but they were far too busy chatting amongst themselves. We left in disgust and it put us off eating in the hotel for the rest of our stay. We had also put a request in when booking for extra towels, this was ignored and we had to ask again. Check out was much about the same experience as check in and when we mentioned about the breakfast, the receptionist didn't seem interested. Also we were in a hurry and no express check out was available either.

Room Tip: If you must stay, ask for a 1st floor room as these would be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ureferg
Reviewed 4 August 2012

All of the staff were very kind and helpful and service was faultless.
The buffet breakfast was very good, though I'd like to have seen smoked haddock or kippers available as well.
Bar meals were reasonable value for a hotel, and the quality of the food was excellent.
The room was comfortable and well-equipped.
The business lounge was very good.
The only disappointment was the Internet as although free wireless was available in the room, it was not available in the bar or dining room.
Free car parking was an added bonus.
Overall, for an airport hotel, very good, with excellent staff

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Staff were extremely helpful considering that there was a problem with the booking by our agent. They were able to rectify the mistake with minimum fuss.
However we found the noise from the air conditioning throughout the night was a bit annoying.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family