All reviews the executive lounge poolside room close to the airport swimming pool leisure area shuttle bus main restaurant the ground floor city centre sized bed rooms are spacious bit dated business trip weekend break enjoyable stay dyce bp
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I have stayed at this Hotel three times now. All for two weeks at a time. By far the worst Marriott. The service is horrendous. You have to call the drint desk at least 5 times before they answer. It is the same if you are calling the hotel from the outside to make reservations. I've had the exact same experience each visit, so I cannot believe that it is bad luck. This has been over a course of 3-4 years too. The beds are terrible. They are caved in where people sleep (which shows how old they are) and if you sleep in the middle, its hard as a rock. The room service menu is very limited. There are very few "classic' options and the ones that they do have are awful. I have received molded food before and the server questioned me about the mold. Did I mention that the rooms don't have WIFI? It's 2012!!!! They won't open the gym earlier than 6am. The rates are outrageous. The only good thing I can say about the hotel is some of the rooms have heated tile in the bathrooms and heated towel racks. Set your expectations very low when staying at this hotel. It does not carry the Marriott quality as it should.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room, otherwise you will be stuck looking at a glass roof or the indoor pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend along with some friends and family to attend a wedding near by. the hotel isnt really near much although its a short walk to the train station to get into town (the next stop).
We arrived at the airport at 9.15pm and were disappointed when we called the hotel for the shuttle bus when we were told the driver had another job to do so we had to get a cab but it was only £9 so not too bad.
Check in was quick and the staff were very polite.
Our room was a nice size and clean although for us the bed was too soft and seemed to be sloaping a bit! the bathroom was nice and clean and the hairdryer/iron/tv all worked fine. nice toiletries and the shower was nice and hot. We could have done with a couple more teabags but other than that it was a nice room (on the ground floor so had french windows to open as it was warm). had a table a chairs for chilling out and plenty of space for clothes etc. fridge didnt seem to get cold really but they give you bottled water which is nice (but warm!).

the bar is a decent size and food was ok although service was very slow and i wouldnt say it was that busy in there.
we didnt use the pool but my parents did and said it was nice along with the sauna and hot tub although not that big.

Breakfast in the restaurant was nice on both mornings (self service) and there was plenty of choice including traditional porridge, cooked breakfast items (incl haggis), toast and pastries, cereals, fruits/yoghurts and cured salmon. the staff seating us were friendly and polite.

we got the shuttle bus back to the airport and was really easy - it only takes 10 mins. a few of our friends with later flights arranged to keep their room until 2pm and most werent even charged.

All in all i liked the marriott, not what i would call luxurious (especially compared to some other marriotts) but clean and in good condition with everything that you need for a few days. I would definitely stay there again if we were in Aberdeen, especially as we got a good earlybird deal of £70 per room.

Room Tip: one end is away from the weddings etc in the fuction room so is quieter - rooms 200 upwards.
1  Thank niknak78
Reviewed 20 August 2012

lovely big rooms, spotlessly clean, good breakfast and a great base for exploring National Trust properties. Free parking. Very near Airport if you are travelling. Easy access to city centre too. Staff friendly.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Hotel OK for one night if you like rooms with windows opening to the restaurant where a marriage is celebrated. Distance to Airport is pretty far and the airport shuttle a catastrophe. No shuttle between 5:50 am and 8:00 am on Saturdays. Taxi is an additional 12Pds.
Breakfast OK and receiption staff helpful.
On night OK - too distant to the city and the airport

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I had to stay a few days because my travels were delayed and my company put me in this hotel. It certainly wasn't my choice and I wouldn't choose to stay there again.

Location:
Good for access to Dyce industrial areas and the airport. Not scenic. No nearby tourist attractions. Purely a business hotel and for large functions like marriages.

Architecure/Decor
My first impression was "What a hideous building!".It looks like a 80's government office building. Then when you enter there is a mix pseudo gothic country house with pathetic design that looked like a undergraduate had discovered 3D Cad!

The room:- smallish rooms with small bathrooms, bath tubs and no seperate shower. Toilet is crammed between bath-tub and sink so the toilet roll holder is directly under the fron of the sink! Any guess what happens when you wash your hand and face?

The beds are very comfortable.

The TV system was bizaare as the architecture and even more annoying! It takes the TV system ages to get to the menu and then takes ages to changed from one channel to another. No international news chennels like CNN or Al Jazeera. Very poor selection of channels. Very perochial. I vote this as the worst TV selection I have seen in a 4 star hotel. I kept getting messages from the TV channel system saying something about the service request not being available. The maintenance staff came twice but couldn't resolve this.

Service:
Excellent. The staff were charming though there seemed to be a lot of 'low-cost' workers. Trainees, people past the age of retirement etc. Not that there was a problem with these staff but it looks like a policy of saving money on staffing. The staff were really helpful. The hotel gives a free taxi service to locations in Dyce.

Maintenance:
No maintenance staff during the weekend! Manager had to fix the coffee machine in the Executive Lounge!!

Food:
MMhh! Not up to standard. I was served a salad with old leaves looking yellow round the edges. Found the food to be a bit bland and poorly presented. The hotel bar and reception smelled of scampy and vinegar at mealtimes!! Yuk. They have a very strange policy about milk. You can have skimmed or semi skimmed milk! No full fat milk for your cereal! No real bread only supermarket 'plastic' bread which is all gluten, water and air.

Swimming pool and Gym:
Not good. Small pool crammed into a enclosed courtyard surrounded by rooms with plate-glass patio doors opening directly onto the corridor around the pool. Very strange and a voyuers paradise! I found it very odd seeing into peoples rooms as I went to look at the gym which is a glass room in the same area. People in the rooms can lie on their beds with the lights out and see the people swimming and working out in the gym!!

Internet:
Wifi only available in the bar and exective lounge. No wifi in rooms! Very expensive! Only one computer available in the executive lounge.

Wheelchair access is ok but there is no lift to the 1st floor.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have good views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business