All reviewsthe executive loungepoolside roomclose to the airportswimming poolleisure areashuttle busmain restaurantthe ground floorcity centresized bedrooms are spaciousbit datedbusiness tripweekend breakenjoyable staydycebp
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This Hotel should only be considered as a business Hotel or as a guest at one of the weddings they hold here.

It is to far out of town to enjoy Aberdeen and there is nothing in Dyce.

The staff are great. There seems to be a pride in working here so that is very positive.

Rooms are clean and a very good size.

Lots of road noise and your early morning wake up are the aircraft taking off or people bumbling up the hallways for early airport check ins.

Breakfast is very good with excellant quality produce.

Even meals are over priced but good quality.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank cranjee
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I won a weekend break with breakfast on the Marriott facebook page hence why I stayed in this Aberdeen Marriott. Location wise it is not in Aberdeen but in Dyce which is 6 miles from the city centre. It is easy to get to by car and Dyce train station is a 10 minute walk away from it.

We were giving room 139 which is one where we had patio doors leading into the swimming pool and gym but no window. Hindsight I would ask for a room with a window as OH felt claustrophobic and we didn't have the option to open the window so used the air conditioning whenever we were in the room. Surprisingly the weekend was sunny and very hot in Aberdeen so it would had been nice to get fresh air in the room.

Room was clean and comfortable. A couple of issues which I let reception know when we checked out. The kettle kept boiling till you manually switch it off so it was faulty. And the patio door was jammed so I had to walked the long way back to my room after a gym session. We were also surprised that you are only given one shortbread packet each day to share and no hot chocolate. Only tea and coffee. A wee bit stingy.

I used the gym once and it was sufficient with enough gym equipment to keep most people happy. Space was used more for the swimming pool and I felt the gym was an afterthought.

Breakfast was a buffet style, help yourself deal which was good. Food was replaced quite often and staff were happy to accomodate your breakfast needs. The older lady who did breakfast service is a credit to the Marriott chain as she took time to chat to us and everyone else and was friendly and helpful.

We took the train to Aberdeen for the day on Saturday. 10 minutes walk from the hotel and if you ask reception they will give you a printout of the train times for you.

Room Tip: Remember there are room which don't have windows so ask for one if you like a room with a window.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights on business. The room was excellent; a good size and very clean. Unfortunately my window overlooked the gym / pool area so had to keep my curtains closed and therefore had no daylight. Restaurant and bar were excellent and I was surprised to see whisky as a porridge topping at breakfast! A couple of minor issues were no replacement of biscuits in my room ( until I asked) and flat tonic water for my vodka and tonic. A couple of good points were the free shuttle bus (very friendly driver) and the exec lounge.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing outside.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed in this Marriott for a long weekend away in Aberdeen, and primarily chose to stay here as I collect Marriott points. I would suggest that the location of the hotel (close to Aberdeen Airport) is good for people wishing to stay after a later flight or before an early flight. However the proximity to a train station means you can get into Aberdeen relatively easily (see below).

I don't agree with some other reviewers on Tripadvisor who think this is the worst Marriott ever. These are my reasons:

- Good value rate: we paid £59.50/night for a double room including breakfast. To get this rate we had to select the 'advance purchase' rate on Marriott's website. However Marriott sometimes don't charge your credit card ahead of time for these rates, despite them being 'advance purchase' it's a bit hit-and-miss.

- Gym and pool: we used the gym which has two treadmills, two cross-trainers and two bikes along with a selection of resistance machines. The gym is immediately next to the pool & jacuzzi although we didn't use the pool on this occasion we could have. The changing rooms have refundable lockers for which you'll need a £1-coin.

- Breakfast: was typical Marriott buffet with Scottish themed hot items including haggis and porridge along with the normal eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurts, breads, pastries, juice, tea & coffee etc.

- Complimentary transfer from the airport: while some other Tripadvisor reviewers have complained about the transfer not being available, we found it to be convenient to get to and from the airport. On arriving we just called the hotel from the airport baggage claim and the minibus arrived in about 10mins. On checking out, we had to wait about an hour so I would recommend checking with reception staff in advance if you are relying on the bus as your only means of getting to the airport. This delay did not inconvenience us as we had a long time till our flight home but it might cause a problem for some.

- Location: the hotel is actually in the little town of Dyce, just outside Aberdeen, located across the airfield from the airport entrance. It is an easy walk from the hotel to Dyce station, about 10mins, where a train will take you directly into Aberdeen in about 8-10mins. A day return ticket cost £3.40 and tickets can be bought from the station ticket machine. However as there is only one ticket machine, I would recommend getting to the station in good time as we witnessed a queue forming at the machine just ahead of the train's arrival. The only down side of the location is that there is basically nothing of interest around the hotel. On Sundays the first train appears to be after lunchtime, so I would recommend checking on train times if you plan to use this. We used the train a couple of times during our stay and found it very convenient.

Tip for rooms: I would definitely suggest asking for a room that does not look out onto the pool area as these have no external windows. Although if you are staying with children that wish to use the pool, perhaps these rooms would suit you. We stayed in Room 260 and you can see from the picture I uploaded that our view was out onto a quiet residential area. The only noise was distant from the occasional aircraft movements.

OK there is no complimentary wifi, although as per usual, you could pay £15 for 24hrs of wifi. If you want to use iPhones etc there is good 02 mobile coverage, I had strong 3G signal in our room. However Vodafone had pretty weak signal in all areas of the hotel and no 3G-data. Bear this in mind if you are relying on your phone to communicate.

Things to do in Aberdeen: we downloaded a walking-tour app on my iPhone which was interesting as we got to see (and learn) different things about the old Aberdeen area around the University. There is good food/restaurants as well. Check out my review of Moonfish Cafe where we went for dinner.

Room Tip: I would definitely suggest asking for a room that does not look out onto the pool area as these have no external windows. Although if you are staying with children that wish to use the pool, perhaps these rooms would suit you. We stayed in Room 260 and you can see from our view that we looked out onto a quiet residential area. The only noise was distant from the occasional aircraft movements.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cyprusboy
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Visited the Marriott in Aberdeen twice now and really can't fault the standard of cleanliness or service. Unfortunately the food was disappointing, not terrible, but not up to the high standard of the rooms. Pool and other leisure facilities are excellent and while small, adequate for short stays.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade during quieter times, usually staff are very compliant
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple