“Fine for a short business stop-over”

Aberdeen Marriott Hotel
Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 24 September 2012

In my opinion this hotel is expensive (for what it has to offer). Although the quality is good, the price of meals and drinks is quite high, and to top it all - they charge a hefty levy for use of the internet (which, in fairness I should point out, they removed from my bill when I expressed an objection). Incidentally, if your business is with BP, then great - it's just across the road - otherwise it may be worth looking elsewhere for better value.
When I stayed (for 2 nights), the gym was closed for renovations - although the pool and sauna were available. The room was fine but I noted the noise from the airport at an ungodly hour on both nights; like many hotels, the best point was the staff, who were pleasant, helpful and welcoming.
Shall I stay there again? Undoubtedly, but only for a couple of nights at a time and as long as I don't have to pay for internet usage

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the airport. Sometimes there are helicopters being serviced...

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Aberdeen Marriott is located in Dyce near the airport reather in the City centre. Howver the adavntage of this is that it is easy to get into town - a short drive and parking at the hotel is free.
The hotel itself is a 2 storey building which looks quite bland from the outside, however once you are through the doors it has the feel and look of a quality hotel. The lobby, bar and part of the restaurant look mock-baronial in style. As always at a Marriott, the rooms are spacious and well equipped with 32in flatscreen and a very very comfortable bed. The bathroom was quite small but was also well equipped and clean. The shower was excellent. We ate breakfast in the restaurant and the service and the food were great. Indeed all staff were friendly and welcoming.
The weekend rates can be very low - around £60 which makes the Marriott an excellent choice for a weekend break in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2012

After spending an evening at Marriott hotel I must say I'm glad to be leaving! Although the hotel it self was adequate the restaurant is dreadful. For starters I had the crab cakes at 9.50 which were so over done it was like eating deep fried tissue seved with a salad with no dressing?? A slip up I thought then no need to make a fuss the lamb shank will surely be the star of the show. How wrong my thinking was. Initially everything looked fine untill I dug a little deeper and found the the texture of the mash reminded me of something......SMASH! Powdered potato! I was shocked the upon tasting the lamb shank it was clear that that was out of a bag as well. So for 18 pounds the chef only cooked a few pieces of broccoli and thought that was ok! Unbelievable! A 4 star hotel! I spoke with the server who was polite and returned with an apology from the chef, which was a clear admission of guilt. As far as I'm concerned there is a distinct lack of effort in this restaurant and I will NEVER eat there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Goodfoodrule
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This Hotel should only be considered as a business Hotel or as a guest at one of the weddings they hold here.

It is to far out of town to enjoy Aberdeen and there is nothing in Dyce.

The staff are great. There seems to be a pride in working here so that is very positive.

Rooms are clean and a very good size.

Lots of road noise and your early morning wake up are the aircraft taking off or people bumbling up the hallways for early airport check ins.

Breakfast is very good with excellant quality produce.

Even meals are over priced but good quality.

1  Thank cranjee
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I won a weekend break with breakfast on the Marriott facebook page hence why I stayed in this Aberdeen Marriott. Location wise it is not in Aberdeen but in Dyce which is 6 miles from the city centre. It is easy to get to by car and Dyce train station is a 10 minute walk away from it.

We were giving room 139 which is one where we had patio doors leading into the swimming pool and gym but no window. Hindsight I would ask for a room with a window as OH felt claustrophobic and we didn't have the option to open the window so used the air conditioning whenever we were in the room. Surprisingly the weekend was sunny and very hot in Aberdeen so it would had been nice to get fresh air in the room.

Room was clean and comfortable. A couple of issues which I let reception know when we checked out. The kettle kept boiling till you manually switch it off so it was faulty. And the patio door was jammed so I had to walked the long way back to my room after a gym session. We were also surprised that you are only given one shortbread packet each day to share and no hot chocolate. Only tea and coffee. A wee bit stingy.

I used the gym once and it was sufficient with enough gym equipment to keep most people happy. Space was used more for the swimming pool and I felt the gym was an afterthought.

Breakfast was a buffet style, help yourself deal which was good. Food was replaced quite often and staff were happy to accomodate your breakfast needs. The older lady who did breakfast service is a credit to the Marriott chain as she took time to chat to us and everyone else and was friendly and helpful.

We took the train to Aberdeen for the day on Saturday. 10 minutes walk from the hotel and if you ask reception they will give you a printout of the train times for you.

Room Tip: Remember there are room which don't have windows so ask for one if you like a room with a window...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights on business. The room was excellent; a good size and very clean. Unfortunately my window overlooked the gym / pool area so had to keep my curtains closed and therefore had no daylight. Restaurant and bar were excellent and I was surprised to see whisky as a porridge topping at breakfast! A couple of minor issues were no replacement of biscuits in my room ( until I asked) and flat tonic water for my vodka and tonic. A couple of good points were the free shuttle bus (very friendly driver) and the exec lounge.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing outside.
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed in this Marriott for a long weekend away in Aberdeen, and primarily chose to stay here as I collect Marriott points. I would suggest that the location of the hotel (close to Aberdeen Airport) is good for people wishing to stay after a later flight or before an early flight. However the proximity to a train station means you can get into Aberdeen relatively easily (see below).

I don't agree with some other reviewers on Tripadvisor who think this is the worst Marriott ever. These are my reasons:

- Good value rate: we paid £59.50/night for a double room including breakfast. To get this rate we had to select the 'advance purchase' rate on Marriott's website. However Marriott sometimes don't charge your credit card ahead of time for these rates, despite them being 'advance purchase' it's a bit hit-and-miss.

- Gym and pool: we used the gym which has two treadmills, two cross-trainers and two bikes along with a selection of resistance machines. The gym is immediately next to the pool & jacuzzi although we didn't use the pool on this occasion we could have. The changing rooms have refundable lockers for which you'll need a £1-coin.

- Breakfast: was typical Marriott buffet with Scottish themed hot items including haggis and porridge along with the normal eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurts, breads, pastries, juice, tea & coffee etc.

- Complimentary transfer from the airport: while some other Tripadvisor reviewers have complained about the transfer not being available, we found it to be convenient to get to and from the airport. On arriving we just called the hotel from the airport baggage claim and the minibus arrived in about 10mins. On checking out, we had to wait about an hour so I would recommend checking with reception staff in advance if you are relying on the bus as your only means of getting to the airport. This delay did not inconvenience us as we had a long time till our flight home but it might cause a problem for some.

- Location: the hotel is actually in the little town of Dyce, just outside Aberdeen, located across the airfield from the airport entrance. It is an easy walk from the hotel to Dyce station, about 10mins, where a train will take you directly into Aberdeen in about 8-10mins. A day return ticket cost £3.40 and tickets can be bought from the station ticket machine. However as there is only one ticket machine, I would recommend getting to the station in good time as we witnessed a queue forming at the machine just ahead of the train's arrival. The only down side of the location is that there is basically nothing of interest around the hotel. On Sundays the first train appears to be after lunchtime, so I would recommend checking on train times if you plan to use this. We used the train a couple of times during our stay and found it very convenient.

Tip for rooms: I would definitely suggest asking for a room that does not look out onto the pool area as these have no external windows. Although if you are staying with children that wish to use the pool, perhaps these rooms would suit you. We stayed in Room 260 and you can see from the picture I uploaded that our view was out onto a quiet residential area. The only noise was distant from the occasional aircraft movements.

OK there is no complimentary wifi, although as per usual, you could pay £15 for 24hrs of wifi. If you want to use iPhones etc there is good 02 mobile coverage, I had strong 3G signal in our room. However Vodafone had pretty weak signal in all areas of the hotel and no 3G-data. Bear this in mind if you are relying on your phone to communicate.

Things to do in Aberdeen: we downloaded a walking-tour app on my iPhone which was interesting as we got to see (and learn) different things about the old Aberdeen area around the University. There is good food/restaurants as well. Check out my review of Moonfish Cafe where we went for dinner.

Room Tip: I would definitely suggest asking for a room that does not look out onto the pool area as these have...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple