“Excellent service and very comfortable”

Aberdeen Marriott Hotel
Ranked #39 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 14 February 2014

After being given an option upon check-in, I chose a first level room over a ground level room, but hadn't realised that there was actually no elevator and had to keep stomping up and down the stairs. Having said that, its probably better to get a first level room so you don't have people walking past the window. Just accept their offer of a porter for your luggage!

The staff are all wonderful, very reliable with taxis, information etc and the breakfast chef (although she couldn't have been much older than me) was so sweet and accommodating she made me feel like I was being cooked for by my Mum. If my Mum was sweet or accommodating. They also very considerately give you take-away cups for coffee which I thought was a nice touch. Note the circular dark things in the hot breakfast section that look like chocolate cookies, are not cookies! Its black pudding and haggis.

Chats the restaurant was also wonderful, the staff were lovely and let me try a few different deserts instead of just one. Both the apple crumble and the sticky toffee pudding were absolutely to die for. There were a few kids in the restaurant, maybe that's normal for Scotland but it made me feel self-conscious about getting drunk there.

The room is fine even though its a bit ole, they didn't have any conditioner but a very comfortable bed and it's quiet even on a Friday night.

The only other down-side to the stairs is the gym. Although its tiny, its sufficient if you're in there alone. But you won't be. The choice of machines or weight area (which only fits one person) is limited so its a first-come first-served system and you could be left with nothing but a lat machine. The significance of this problem was exacerbated by the aforementioned desert indulgence.

Overall I found it very good value, really enjoyed the service and would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Go on the first floor (not ground) if you don't mind the stairs. Otherwise, ground on the outsi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandst0rm
Vanessa S, Manager at Aberdeen Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Sandst0rm,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Aberdeen Marriott Hotel.

Our associates take pride in providing a quality experience to all our guests, so I will make sure to pass your thanks along to them. We will also take your comments regarding our Gym on board and pass them on to our Leisure Club Manager.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, as we take guest satisfaction seriously. We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We arrived at this hotel,after inadvertantly arriving at the nearby courtyard by marriot(do not take the airport dep/arrivals sign)or that is were you may end up,but it is only 2 mins from the aberdeen marriot.on arrival ,we found the reception staff quick,friendly and efficient,although it was only just 2pm,our room was ready for occupation.the room was large,warm an very clean with a super king size bed,lots of pillows and mattress topper,which made the bed super comfortable(these beds can now be purchased from the manfucturer,who supply the beds to the marriot chain but with P.O.A.).The room also had large screen tv,radio ,hotel and guest info and films on demand.the bathroom was of good size,which was spotlessly clean,with bath/shower heated towel rail,good supply of towels,on heated towel,underfloor heating and supply of soap shower gel,shampoo etc.We were impressed that with such a close proximity to the airport,with many helicopters,toing and frowing to the oil and gas fields,that room was very quiet.
we opted to have lunch at the bar ,service was friendly and helpfull,however as we had to wait a fair time time for our meal a most apologetic waitress,gave us free coffee,with the meal,to which we found quite acceptable,but as has been pointed out by many writers to trip advisor in the past, why is food at this hotel so expensive,although our lunch (hot cheese and ham toasties were very good with large slices of bread,crisps etc)at over £7 and burgers etc nearly £10, we thought these prices over the top,but suspect they cater mainly for guests on business accounts whos company will pick up the tab,it follows that we cannot comment on evening dinner as yet again the price wase very high,even for a hotel so we ate out.,however we found the prices reasonable,on our return from dinner,the bar has a friendly and good bar staff and a nice bar lounge .they keep a superb 18year old scotch at this bar,the cost for a wee dram £15.well it is the rolls royce of all scotch and well we were on holiday so...but yes,it was sublime.
Breakfast on both days visited could not be faulted,full scottish including porridge,with help your self to the whiskey to pour into it no extra charge.a continental breads pastries,pancakes,fresh fruit etc,and fresh aberdeen butterys,(a kind of savoury bread cake,as was explained to us by the very knowlegable and efficient maitre d a,lady from the nearby town of BANF,regretably we never got to buy any to take home).
we found the pool and changing area,very good changing rooms and showers were warm and clean ,as was the large pool.Unfortunatley a situation arose when i wished to use the hot tub,for which i feel that the hotel management need to have a look at,when i left my wife swimming in the pool to use the hot tub,i found a party of young girls,maby 6 7 8 year olds in the tub,so for obvious reasons ,i had to call my wife from her swimming ,to accompany me the hot tub,surely girls of this age should be accompanied by a parent ,however we both enjoyed the tub,but food for thought here.
in conclusion,this hotel as I have stated earlier is friendly and well managed,6 mins from the centre of Aberdeen, on the local train 10 mis walk away.reception will give you a free printed time table.As stated this hotel offers good value for money,APART from the food prices,and we would highly reccommend stopping here.
would we stay again?YES.
as a tail piece for Aberdeen I have driven round most european cities,and found this to be the most car unfriendly city ever.one way streets ,no entrys,traffic lights every few yards,never under 2 mins wait at red,take my advice and take the ntrain to the city centre.and while on the subject of trains if you do travel tom Aberdeen by train,or any other city or town,beware of th dreaded RUCKSACK BRIGADE,who barge down the carriage and plane isle,banging into fellow passengers,trying to get there oversize bags which are ok for mountain climbing but not trains planes buses etc.its about time train companys and air lines banned these oversized dustbins and insist passengers use flight bags and cabin friendly cases and think of fellow passengers.THANK YOU.

Room Tip: some rooms ovelook the pool and on the same level and could prove noisy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikelinda64
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We have stayed here on many occasions when my husband is in Aberdeen on courses. The rooms are nicely decorated and the beds are very comfortable. They even have a mattress topper!
Dyce station is 2 minutes in the car or 10 minutes walk away, and train gets you into city centre in about 10 minutes. I love shopping in Aberdeen, everything is so compact. I usually head in on the train after a leisurely breakfast which keeps me going all day. The breakfasts are delicious, and the lovely ladies in the dining room are always very pleasant and remembered us from previous visits!
We have not stayed at the weekend and therefore the leisure facilities have been reasonably quiet.

Room Tip: Outside rooms have sliding door to car park thus avoiding the long corridors with luggage. Inside...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Norma G

Dear Norma G,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. We are glad to hear that you had a lovely stay with us.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed our location but even more so our associates. Our goal is to provide personalized unique guest experience all the time.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is truly much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed at Aberdeen Marriott courtyard as we had an early morning flight next day, rooms beautiful, staff excellent and the food was good too, would highly recomend this hotel. they have a gym but did not get time to look round.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank altens
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed for two nights due to working in the area. Hotel is extremely easy to get to from airport and has bundles of free parking. Initially I was given a room that was beyond strange....I could hear piped music and on looking out of the window I was actually "in" the restaurant with people walking past the window on their way to dinner. The room therefore had no actual natural light and was subject to noise from the restaurant. A call to reception meant I was swiftly moved so do ensure you ask for a room on the outer walls if you want a) daylight and b) any chance of sleep. The bed was excellent with the usual plethora of Marriott bedding and pillows and the bathroom was clean with loads of hot water. I do find the prices charged for breakfast to be farcical but this hotel does offer Starbucks in its lounge and my lunch there on final checking out day was hot and tasty. There is a health club here; as a keen gym goer I can only say that the facilities are limited and not aided by the fact that the equipment is sited on slippy wooden floors. This actually means some exercises become quite dangerous. The pool is small and every time I visited was FULL of toddlers and families; I guess it was the weekend and the hotel had functions on but you'd be hard pushed to actually swim...Staff are helpful in the hotel but in the gym there was a young lad who didn't seem to have a clue what was going on when I first visited. Overall, a good place to be based.

Room Tip: Do not have a room on the inner walls - I think odd numbers?
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Vanessa S, Manager at Aberdeen Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear LottieFox,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Aberdeen Marriott Hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you had an issue during your stay but I am pleased to see it was resolved in the right manner. We will also take your comments regarding our Leisure Club on board.

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The hotel is rather dated but well maintained. Food is good and the staff professional but friendly. Wireless broadband throughout but can be pricey if you are not on a free package.
Free courtesy bus to all airport area locations, including local businesses.
Overall, good for business stays near ABZ

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Hotel was very good - room great with two large beds and plenty of room. The staff were very friendly and the hotel had a very nice ambience. Breakfast was again very good with lots of choice. There with a toddler who had a great time in the pool and enjoyed breakfast too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh