“Double Pudding!”

The Chester Hotel
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
“Double Pudding!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were very lucky to have just attended a work's function at The Chester. The ballroom was a great size for our numbers and a perfect layout for socialising and dancing. But the absolute highlight was the attentive staff and the food. So good we're both that when joked that the pudding was so tasty we would eat it again we were duly presented with another portion! Thank you!

The hotel room was also lovely, the residents bar perfect and the breakfast the perfect hangover cure!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had the most fantastic Afternoon Tea experience yesterday at the Chester in Aberdeen, The service, quality of food and drinks were exceptional and the staff were extremly attentive. We shall be going back and looking forward to the opening of the spa.

Miss La La

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elaine S
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Booked into Chester Hotel for weekend visit to Aberdeen and from check in to check out my wife and I could not fault friendly and welcoming staff .we stayed in a top floor suite with views over city a great room with plenty of space you did not feel cramped in unlike some hotel rooms I have stayed in .we had pre booked a table in the resteraunt and was very impressed by both the service and standard of food .it may be early days for this hotel and resteraunt but on a first visit
We will definitely be returning

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed in Simpson's as it used to be called many times and always found it a pleasant experience. It has since been completely renovated, so much so that it is unrecognisable. The hotel has been improved in every respect, and the attention to detail very impressive. I haven't checked out yet but feel compelled to write this review as I am so impressed with what I have seen and experienced so far. For those who haven't previously visited, The Chester Hotel is located on Queen's Road two buildings along from Malmaison, within walking distance of the city if the weather is good and you don't mind a decent walk.

When I checked in, the booking agent I use had not confirmed my reservation. This was no problem; indeed, this is where I quickly realised this place has stepped up a level. Without any fuss, I was allocated a room and duly taken to it by the extremely polite and efficient lady who checked me in.

The room was nicely appointed - classy but not pretentious, and very comfortable. An Apple TV system means that the in-room entertainment is of the latest technology but quite easy to use. Unlike in many hotels I've stayed in lately, the bathroom was high quality and in keeping with the rest of the hotel. And the bed? Well, it was very comfortable indeed.

So onto the bar and restaurant areas. These are where the buildings have changed most radically and I must say much to my liking. The bar has 2 sections; on one side of the bar are open booths complete with TVs, and on the other is a stylish combination of a more conventional table/seating arrangement with a couple of very nice 'cubby hole' areas for 2. The bar menu is similar to the old Simpson's and remains very high quality - I had tomato, pepper and chilli soup followed by a chicken Caesar salad. Both were fantastic! For pint drinkers, a good choice is available including Cornish Orchard cider, something is hadn't come across before north of Plymouth.

Service throughout was exceptional, and was attentive without being intrusive. I haven't sampled the main restaurant yet, nor the spa/gym, but I will, if not on this visit, then on the next in a couple of weeks time.

I have no link to this hotel in any way other than being a business customer so have no reason to be selective concerning the nature of my review. By Aberdeen standards, this is top quality and whilst the price has increased a fair bit compared to when it was last open as Simpson's a year or so ago, if represents very good value for money. Whether you are a regular or occasional traveller to Aberdeen, give this place a try. I've spent much of my life in hotels, and this impressed me very much indeed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Celtic_traveller165
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked a girlie afternoon tea here for a birthday. One guest was gluten free and this was fully catered for. Had excellent service from Lorenzo our waiter for the afternoon and our every need was catered for. Such a lovely surrounding and atmosphere and will definetly return! Had such a lovely day and fantastic for aberdeen to boast such a classy establishment!

• Stayed April 2014
Abdn
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Chester Hotel for one night and was highly impressed with the refurbishment of the hotel. The hotel rooms are decorated to an exceptionally high standard and the hotel is beautiful. The bar/restaurant area is fantastic and the staff were very attentive. The booths are a fabulous addition to the bar area where I tried a few of the cocktails on the menu. I must say the Chester Jester was my favourite! We found everyone at the hotel very helpful and friendly. Will certainly return and would recommend to anyone that wants a high quality and beautiful hotel in Aberdeen.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S M
TheChesterHotel, General Manager at The Chester Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Guest,

It was with absolute pleasure when I read your feedback and it is everything we hope to achieve.

Our Team felt elated when I shared your comments with them and we hope fervently that the consistency of the delivery of our service will always continue.

Once again, thank you for your generous comments and we look forward to welcoming you back with us soon.

Yours Sincerely

Chris Quinn-Waugh
Reviewed 5 April 2014

First visit to The Chester with family to celebrate our Silver Wedding anniversary - Restaurant ambience was great - not too hot not too cold, lighting, table spacing and music all just right. given a very good instead of excellent as 2 of our party are Lactose intolerant (which we had notified before arrival) disappointed that our waitress seemed unable to grasp this.. when ordered 2 x lobster grilled with olive oil & garlic instead of butter as lactose intolerant managed to translate that somehow to the kitchen as 1 lobster with olive oil & garlic and one with butter , olive oil & garlic - if we had not questioned and assumed one of our party would have been extremely ill!! subsequently one member had to wait while another lobster was done...felt there was a wee bit of run and hide at this point from the staff... the sensible thing which we suggested was bringing another plate so the lactose free lobster could be shared between my daughters while the new one was cooking. with food intolerances becoming ever more common a hotel of this standard should not be making mistakes like this.
The same waitress though pleasant seemed very lacking in knowledge of most of the dishes on the menu - we several times had to ask her to go and check as opposed to saying " I don't think so or I don't know" even adding cream to 2 requested black coffees with tia maria - she had served us all night how many times do you have to say lactose intolerant....

that aside it did not spoil our lovely evening - food and wine were excellent - could not have faulted it but Chester to keep your 5 star status you need to train all your staff to the same level.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank carol r
Our Dear Valued Guest,

A personal thank you for your review! I am very disappointed with our team' s knowledge on the special dietary requirements, especially when we knew in advance the information. Please be assured that your feedback has assisted us to see the area of weaknesses and that we have implemented immediately extra training on these specific areas.

I fervently hope that one team member lack of correct knowledge which I would like to say has previously been trained on does not deter you from returning and enjoy the overall experience of dining with us.

Once again, I thank you for your true and honest review and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Chester Hotel and hope we will be able to restore your confidence in our delivery of efficient service.

Kindest Regards