“v poor service and value”
Review of The Chester Hotel

The Chester Hotel
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 6 May 2014

On a plus side this place looks great and the renovation clearly cost a lot of money but parking is terrible, the service is very poor and the food is no better than man other places in aberdeen which is a shame. So if you feel like paying a bit extra to get better service then I would look elsewhere

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank daveinglasgow

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were very lucky to have just attended a work's function at The Chester. The ballroom was a great size for our numbers and a perfect layout for socialising and dancing. But the absolute highlight was the attentive staff and the food. So good we're both that when joked that the pudding was so tasty we would eat it again we were duly presented with another portion! Thank you!

The hotel room was also lovely, the residents bar perfect and the breakfast the perfect hangover cure!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had the most fantastic Afternoon Tea experience yesterday at the Chester in Aberdeen, The service, quality of food and drinks were exceptional and the staff were extremly attentive. We shall be going back and looking forward to the opening of the spa.

Miss La La

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elaine S
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Booked into Chester Hotel for weekend visit to Aberdeen and from check in to check out my wife and I could not fault friendly and welcoming staff .we stayed in a top floor suite with views over city a great room with plenty of space you did not feel cramped in unlike some hotel rooms I have stayed in .we had pre booked a table in the resteraunt and was very impressed by both the service and standard of food .it may be early days for this hotel and resteraunt but on a first visit
We will definitely be returning

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed in Simpson's as it used to be called many times and always found it a pleasant experience. It has since been completely renovated, so much so that it is unrecognisable. The hotel has been improved in every respect, and the attention to detail very impressive. I haven't checked out yet but feel compelled to write this review as I am so impressed with what I have seen and experienced so far. For those who haven't previously visited, The Chester Hotel is located on Queen's Road two buildings along from Malmaison, within walking distance of the city if the weather is good and you don't mind a decent walk.

When I checked in, the booking agent I use had not confirmed my reservation. This was no problem; indeed, this is where I quickly realised this place has stepped up a level. Without any fuss, I was allocated a room and duly taken to it by the extremely polite and efficient lady who checked me in.

The room was nicely appointed - classy but not pretentious, and very comfortable. An Apple TV system means that the in-room entertainment is of the latest technology but quite easy to use. Unlike in many hotels I've stayed in lately, the bathroom was high quality and in keeping with the rest of the hotel. And the bed? Well, it was very comfortable indeed.

So onto the bar and restaurant areas. These are where the buildings have changed most radically and I must say much to my liking. The bar has 2 sections; on one side of the bar are open booths complete with TVs, and on the other is a stylish combination of a more conventional table/seating arrangement with a couple of very nice 'cubby hole' areas for 2. The bar menu is similar to the old Simpson's and remains very high quality - I had tomato, pepper and chilli soup followed by a chicken Caesar salad. Both were fantastic! For pint drinkers, a good choice is available including Cornish Orchard cider, something is hadn't come across before north of Plymouth.

Service throughout was exceptional, and was attentive without being intrusive. I haven't sampled the main restaurant yet, nor the spa/gym, but I will, if not on this visit, then on the next in a couple of weeks time.

I have no link to this hotel in any way other than being a business customer so have no reason to be selective concerning the nature of my review. By Aberdeen standards, this is top quality and whilst the price has increased a fair bit compared to when it was last open as Simpson's a year or so ago, if represents very good value for money. Whether you are a regular or occasional traveller to Aberdeen, give this place a try. I've spent much of my life in hotels, and this impressed me very much indeed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Celtic_traveller165
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked a girlie afternoon tea here for a birthday. One guest was gluten free and this was fully catered for. Had excellent service from Lorenzo our waiter for the afternoon and our every need was catered for. Such a lovely surrounding and atmosphere and will definetly return! Had such a lovely day and fantastic for aberdeen to boast such a classy establishment!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Chester Hotel for one night and was highly impressed with the refurbishment of the hotel. The hotel rooms are decorated to an exceptionally high standard and the hotel is beautiful. The bar/restaurant area is fantastic and the staff were very attentive. The booths are a fabulous addition to the bar area where I tried a few of the cocktails on the menu. I must say the Chester Jester was my favourite! We found everyone at the hotel very helpful and friendly. Will certainly return and would recommend to anyone that wants a high quality and beautiful hotel in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S M
TheChesterHotel, General Manager at The Chester Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Guest,

It was with absolute pleasure when I read your feedback and it is everything we hope to achieve.

Our Team felt elated when I shared your comments with them and we hope fervently that the consistency of the delivery of our service will always continue.

Once again, thank you for your generous comments and we look forward to welcoming you back with us soon.

Yours Sincerely