“Enjoyable experience but not at standard expected!”
Review of The Chester Hotel

The Chester Hotel
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable experience but not at standard expected!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have been to the Chester twice now for two private parties and I was a bit disappointed by the food and service. Although both evenings were enjoyable, for the price you are paying you expect exceptional food and service. Unfortunately on both occasions neither were up to scratch....well certainly not the price we paid. I would say the cost of the food/drink is on par with say Martin Wishart in Edinburgh but unfortunately still a few tweeks required to hit the same high standard I'm afraid. On both occasions steaks were not cooked correctly and my dessert on most recent visit was raw and had to be returned. Both groups needed to ask for more drink as not topped up often enough and those on the soft drinks were not even offered a drink. They had to make do with the limited water supplied to the table. Of course, we as customers can always ask but I think that defeats the purpose of the experience I would expect to receive here. Having said all that the waiting staff were lovely, maybe just not enough of them. I really wish the hotel well though and hope they are not too disheartened by my review. I'm sure these issues can easily be resolved to improve the overall experience. Aberdeen is definitely lacking in the number of Luxury hotels so I hope The Chester can make a success of their business.

1 Thank Klw22446

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have recently just organised a work event at The Chester hotel for 200 people. From start to finish the service I have received has been excellent. Leigh-Anne on the run up to the event was brilliant, always on hand to answer all of my questions. On the day Leigh-Anne was there to ensure everything went to plan. At the event Chris and her team ran the evening with precision. As an organiser I have never had customer service like this and for a change I was able to enjoy the evening as everything was handled so well. The food was delicious, the service was professional. The rooms have been decorated to a fabulous standard and Apple TV was a lovely addition. To all at The Chester I cannot thank you all enough.

1 Thank shona1999
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

On a plus side this place looks great and the renovation clearly cost a lot of money but parking is terrible, the service is very poor and the food is no better than man other places in aberdeen which is a shame. So if you feel like paying a bit extra to get better service then I would look elsewhere

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank daveinglasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were very lucky to have just attended a work's function at The Chester. The ballroom was a great size for our numbers and a perfect layout for socialising and dancing. But the absolute highlight was the attentive staff and the food. So good we're both that when joked that the pudding was so tasty we would eat it again we were duly presented with another portion! Thank you!

The hotel room was also lovely, the residents bar perfect and the breakfast the perfect hangover cure!!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had the most fantastic Afternoon Tea experience yesterday at the Chester in Aberdeen, The service, quality of food and drinks were exceptional and the staff were extremly attentive. We shall be going back and looking forward to the opening of the spa.

Miss La La

1 Thank Elaine S
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Booked into Chester Hotel for weekend visit to Aberdeen and from check in to check out my wife and I could not fault friendly and welcoming staff .we stayed in a top floor suite with views over city a great room with plenty of space you did not feel cramped in unlike some hotel rooms I have stayed in .we had pre booked a table in the resteraunt and was very impressed by both the service and standard of food .it may be early days for this hotel and resteraunt but on a first visit
We will definitely be returning

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed in Simpson's as it used to be called many times and always found it a pleasant experience. It has since been completely renovated, so much so that it is unrecognisable. The hotel has been improved in every respect, and the attention to detail very impressive. I haven't checked out yet but feel compelled to write this review as I am so impressed with what I have seen and experienced so far. For those who haven't previously visited, The Chester Hotel is located on Queen's Road two buildings along from Malmaison, within walking distance of the city if the weather is good and you don't mind a decent walk.

When I checked in, the booking agent I use had not confirmed my reservation. This was no problem; indeed, this is where I quickly realised this place has stepped up a level. Without any fuss, I was allocated a room and duly taken to it by the extremely polite and efficient lady who checked me in.

The room was nicely appointed - classy but not pretentious, and very comfortable. An Apple TV system means that the in-room entertainment is of the latest technology but quite easy to use. Unlike in many hotels I've stayed in lately, the bathroom was high quality and in keeping with the rest of the hotel. And the bed? Well, it was very comfortable indeed.

So onto the bar and restaurant areas. These are where the buildings have changed most radically and I must say much to my liking. The bar has 2 sections; on one side of the bar are open booths complete with TVs, and on the other is a stylish combination of a more conventional table/seating arrangement with a couple of very nice 'cubby hole' areas for 2. The bar menu is similar to the old Simpson's and remains very high quality - I had tomato, pepper and chilli soup followed by a chicken Caesar salad. Both were fantastic! For pint drinkers, a good choice is available including Cornish Orchard cider, something is hadn't come across before north of Plymouth.

Service throughout was exceptional, and was attentive without being intrusive. I haven't sampled the main restaurant yet, nor the spa/gym, but I will, if not on this visit, then on the next in a couple of weeks time.

I have no link to this hotel in any way other than being a business customer so have no reason to be selective concerning the nature of my review. By Aberdeen standards, this is top quality and whilst the price has increased a fair bit compared to when it was last open as Simpson's a year or so ago, if represents very good value for money. Whether you are a regular or occasional traveller to Aberdeen, give this place a try. I've spent much of my life in hotels, and this impressed me very much indeed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business