“HMMM”
Review of The Chester Hotel

The Chester Hotel
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My first visit to this recently opened hotel in an upmarket west end location. Friends who had been there had mixed reactions and I am afraid I found they were right. I was there for a brunch before the football. The staff had not carried out the host's detailed instructions fully which was not a good start . Brunch was only average and when does a hotel run out of eggs ? Staff at the brunch were excellent however and indeed when we returned after the match for cocktails and nibbles. I just don't like the decor which especially in the bar area is minimalistic and vaguely bland. And why put a series of booths to one side of the entrance corridor rather than incorporate then in the main area? Weird. And why put the toilets up a rather steep flight of stairs? Double weird . Bring back Simpsons -- all is forgiven. Hopefully things will improve as much money has reportedly been spent but I was rather disappointed with the whole experience .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Tony D

Reviewed 8 May 2014

first visit to the Chester and was not disappointed . We booked a table in the bar Service was very good. Good choice on the menu. the only negative for me would be the booths as you come into the bar almost felt you were sitting of a corridor :(.

Room Tip: if booking a table in the bar make sure it is away form the entrance .
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank marymac13
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have been to the Chester twice now for two private parties and I was a bit disappointed by the food and service. Although both evenings were enjoyable, for the price you are paying you expect exceptional food and service. Unfortunately on both occasions neither were up to scratch....well certainly not the price we paid. I would say the cost of the food/drink is on par with say Martin Wishart in Edinburgh but unfortunately still a few tweeks required to hit the same high standard I'm afraid. On both occasions steaks were not cooked correctly and my dessert on most recent visit was raw and had to be returned. Both groups needed to ask for more drink as not topped up often enough and those on the soft drinks were not even offered a drink. They had to make do with the limited water supplied to the table. Of course, we as customers can always ask but I think that defeats the purpose of the experience I would expect to receive here. Having said all that the waiting staff were lovely, maybe just not enough of them. I really wish the hotel well though and hope they are not too disheartened by my review. I'm sure these issues can easily be resolved to improve the overall experience. Aberdeen is definitely lacking in the number of Luxury hotels so I hope The Chester can make a success of their business.

1  Thank Klw22446
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have recently just organised a work event at The Chester hotel for 200 people. From start to finish the service I have received has been excellent. Leigh-Anne on the run up to the event was brilliant, always on hand to answer all of my questions. On the day Leigh-Anne was there to ensure everything went to plan. At the event Chris and her team ran the evening with precision. As an organiser I have never had customer service like this and for a change I was able to enjoy the evening as everything was handled so well. The food was delicious, the service was professional. The rooms have been decorated to a fabulous standard and Apple TV was a lovely addition. To all at The Chester I cannot thank you all enough.

1  Thank shona1999
Reviewed 6 May 2014

On a plus side this place looks great and the renovation clearly cost a lot of money but parking is terrible, the service is very poor and the food is no better than man other places in aberdeen which is a shame. So if you feel like paying a bit extra to get better service then I would look elsewhere

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank daveinglasgow
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were very lucky to have just attended a work's function at The Chester. The ballroom was a great size for our numbers and a perfect layout for socialising and dancing. But the absolute highlight was the attentive staff and the food. So good we're both that when joked that the pudding was so tasty we would eat it again we were duly presented with another portion! Thank you!

The hotel room was also lovely, the residents bar perfect and the breakfast the perfect hangover cure!!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We had the most fantastic Afternoon Tea experience yesterday at the Chester in Aberdeen, The service, quality of food and drinks were exceptional and the staff were extremly attentive. We shall be going back and looking forward to the opening of the spa.

Miss La La