“Faultless” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow
“Faultless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in a one bedroom suite which was really a 2 bedroomed flat but with the added bonus of a great inclusive continental breakfast and a free drink!
All staff were very pleasant and we liked all the little touches like having our name on the door and fresh milk in the fridge.
Spotless, very handy for the centre of Aberdeen yet quiet with free parking - what more do you need.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Skene House Holburn. It was lovely to read that the staff were very pleasant and I am sure it was also a pleasure for the staff at Skene House Holburn to have you as one of their guests. I was also very pleased to read that the suite had everything you needed during your time with us. Our Housekeeping team were so happy to see that the cleanliness of your suite had been mentioned.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Skene House Holburn in the near future.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here for two nights and kind of regretted not planning our trip a bit differently so we would stay a few more nights here and do Abroath/Montrose as a tour from here. This is because the excellent accommodation was better then what we had in Montrose and cheaper as well! What I really liked here is although the place is very nice and widely recommended (see reviews here and on booking.com) the staff do not rest on their laurels but go out of the way to help and be pleasant.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Thank you very much for your recent review, after your stay at Skene House Holburn. It’s always a pleasure to receive such a fantastic review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff looked after you in the way that Skene House is reputed for. I am sure it was also a pleasure for the staff at Skene House Holburn to have you as one of their guests. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon to Skene House Holburn in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

We booked Skene House after finding a last minute deal online for £61 and thought it sounded a bit different. We opted for a "classic" suite which transpired to be a two bedroom flat and it was huge. I loved the classic approach to the decoration which had a very old school Scottish feel without appearing tired or dated. The kitchen was very well equipped and the bathroom was brand new, it really was a home from home with style. I can honestly say I have never stayed in such a clean hotel, not a spot of dirt anywhere! For our price we also received a continental breakfast and a complimentary drink from the mini/honesty bar which has quite the selection of drinks and is a fantastic idea. We were only able to stay one night at Skene House but we will definitely be returning in the future, I honestly do not think we would consider staying anywhere else in Aberdeen after staying here as even at full price it is incredible value for money.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Skene House Holburn. It was lovely to read that our suites felt like a ‘Home from Home’. Our Housekeeping team were so happy to see that the cleanliness of your suite had been mentioned! Our staff genuinely enjoy making sure all our guests have a comfortable stay, while they are with us.

Markinch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

First class service, fantastic apartment (I would call it a suite) and 5* experience all round.

1 Thank 1MartinButler
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Skene House Holburn. I was so pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and it is such a morale booster for all the staff to hear that they delivered First class service, it’s also very pleasing to read that you found the experience 5 *
Stavanger
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We have now stayed at this hotel on three separate occasions. each time it is equally good. No, not quite true. It gets better each time because we are remembered and greeted with even more friendliness. The suite concept is perfect for our needs. It feels like we are coming home. Liz Gordon does a brilliant job with organising golf for us, including transport, lunches etc. All we do is turn up at the airport and the rest is done for us. Brilliant. The staff in the hotel are all friendly and Natalia on the reception especially impressed us with her cheerful helpfulness.

I challenge anyone reading this review - find a better value for money hotel in the Aberdeen area and I will buy you a dinner. Yes - a free dinner at MacDonalds because you obviously do not have good taste.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SusanAitken, Group & Meeting Coordinator at Skene House Holburn, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear Tony

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Skene House Holburn. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your stay at Skene House Holburn. It was a pleasure organising your golf trip and I am glad that the weather was good for the weekend, it must make the golf more enjoyable.

Natalia was so happy to see your comments about her cheerful helpfulness. All our reviews are posted on the staff noticeboards as it is a great morale booster.

I really enjoyed meeting you all again this year and I look forward to being able to help you in the future.

Liz Gordon

Group & Meeting Coordinator
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here for one night in the middle of a long business trip. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the accommodation was excellent. I had booked on line several weeks previously and the value for money was incredible. The suite was well equipped and the washing machine was invaluable! The honesty bar and free arrival drink was a great idea and finally the breakfast was very reasonably priced. I could recommend this place to anyone and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Skene House Holburn. It was lovely to read that the staff were very friendly and helpful and I am sure it was also a pleasure for the staff at Skene House Holburn to have you as one of their guests. I was also very pleased to read that the suite had everything you needed during your time with us. I will pass on your comments to our staff.

Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

I am currently spending almost a total of 18 days at the Skene House on the corner of Holburn and Union Grove. VERY courteous and accommodating staff both at the front desk and the cleaning lady (I asked the cleaning lady for an extra blanket to use in the living room :)). I stayed at two different buildings during my stay. On the second floor of one and on the ground floor of another. Beware, there are no elevators, so if you have heavy bags to carry upstairs, seek assistance.

The good:
1. Nice layout with three separate rooms: living room with TV, DVD player, internet mini-hub (more on that later), kitchen (with full appliances including wares and dishwashing liquid) and bedroom with alarm clock, closet and iron and ironing board.
2. Grocery is a two minute walk away if you want to get food to cook or quick meals.
3. There are many food places (restaurant and fast food) within walking distance.
4. Great for extended stay, since there is a freezer, refrigerator, microwave, washer/dryer combo, dishwasher, etc.
5. Both apartment bedrooms I stayed in were to the back of the building- i.e. away from the road in front. The roadway itself is not very busy, but you do get the odd race car come through with a loud exhaust (although not annoying for me cause I've got one myself :)). Common thing in Aberdeen, it seems.
6. Complimentary internet - wired and wifi. I tested the speed, and it can get up to the equivalent of a 5MB connection! Fantastic! I was able to have my laptop and iPad online at the same time. This allowed me to check emails, and conduct my work very efficiently. The only drawback is that the wireless signal from the mini-hub is not very strong. With the doors open I was getting spotty reception while in bed with my iPad. However, I can see why it was made that way - so that the signal would not go into someone else's apartment. I tried moving the hub closer to the living room door, but that helped marginally.
7. There are manuals for most of the appliances in the apartment. Good thing for this, otherwise I could not have figured out how to use the washer/dryer machine.

The not-so-good:
1. I'm from the tropics and stayed there in the summer. Needless to say, that I found the apartment to be chilly at times. I could not exactly figure out how to use the heating system, but somehow managed to open the valving to some of the radiators. I would recommend that the concierge instruct tenants on the use of it. Don't assume that they know how to use these things. I could not find a manual on how to set up the boiler settings, nor how to use the radiators in the first apartment I stayed. I sort of figured something though. The second apartment had a different control panel than the first, and I found a manual for that one there, but it was not very clear on the use. Although I was comfortable enough without having to check someone to show me how it worked.
2. It seems all the flooring are wooden. Thus it is very creaky. And you can hear movement in the floor above you. This did not bother me, but it may bother some people.
3. This one was a big deal for me. The faucets in the toilet and kitchen sink have separate hot and cold taps. This means you either get freezing cold, or scalding hot water. Not good when doing dishes or washing your face, or brushing teeth! I strongly recommend these be replaced with single-tap mixers so that you can get warm water.
4. This is sort of good and not so good. The heavy drapes are meant to block out the light during the night (you only get about 5 hours of darkness during the summer), but the curtains don't close completely, so you still get a bit of light coming through the spaces into the bedroom.
5. Price: I guess I had a corporate rate. However, having stayed at other extended stay hotels in the US with similar facilities, this place is about half more expensive. I don't know how it compares with other similar places in the UK though.

All in all - a very good stay. If I had to come back to Aberdeen, I'd would likely stay here again even with the not-so-goods listed. At least a couple of the cons listed are easy fixes.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent long stay at Skene House Holburn. I am delighted that your overall stay was enjoyable and that our staff looked after you in the way that Skene House is reputed for. I am sure it was also a pleasure for the staff at Skene House Holburn to have you as one of their guests.

Please accept my sincere apologies for some of the problems you had during your say with us, we try to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible. To address some of these issues in your review, I have passed them onto our Property services Manager.

Manager, Skene House Holburn