“Excellent value for money and amazing location”

Skene House Holburn
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 23 November 2011

This hotel is perfect for Aberdeen centre. Staff are very helpfull and apartment was immaculate. Continental breakfast was very tasty and a good selection

• Stayed: November 2011
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Skene House Holburn. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Skene House and that my staff looked after you.
Susan Aitken, Manager

Reviewed 6 November 2011

Just had a two night stay at the Skene house Holburn Aberdeen in an executive suite. Absolutely brilliant. As my title says, it fealt like a Home from Home. Staff all very friendly, rooms spotless and cosy, and breakfast excellent. Also very reasonable priced via laterooms.com. Only hope these deals remain as I would not want to stay anywhere else, it was that good. It is very difficult for me to find fault. Thank you Skene house Aberdeen for a lovely weekend and I hope to visit you again next spring.

Room Tip: If you find stairs a problem ask for a room on the lower levels as there is no elevator
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

We have an excellent Housekeeping team and all the staff take real pride in their work. They were so happy to see that the cleanliness of your suite had been mentioned.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Manager – Skene House Holburn

Reviewed 27 October 2011

As with all the other reviews we found the Holburn Skene House experience, by and large, a very good one. It is in a very good location and the apartment was clean and very comfortable.
We were combining a business trip with seeing my daughter and the price for the three night stay (including the weekend) was excellent. My wife did make the point though that she was disappointed to see the hairdryer in the bathroom as it meant she had to wander between rooms to dry her hair and put her makeup on whilst I showered. And then the bathroom mirror was too steamed up for her to use after I'd finished. Like a lot of couples, I expect, we find it easier for her to shower first and then for me to wash afterwards whilst she does her hair and puts her face on.
Breakfast was a very good continental but the cooked choices were very reasonably priced.
Staff were friendly and very informative,,, the funny looking pillar,over the road (blue with a fancy top) is a ventilation pipe for a services tunnel which runs under the road. Thanks to the staff member who told me that, can't remember the man's name though... I told him it was puzzling me and he told me the history.
The block has very good restaurants around it, Josephines is up the road and it is a very Spanish experience (but without the lovely dark eyed Spanish children you get in tapas bars there). Loud... music and talk... and food banged down on your table in rapid succession pretty soon after you've ordered it. BYO for wine which they charge you £3 a head corkage.
The Courtyard is just behind the carpark and that was very good too (albeit three times the price of Josephines)... modern Scottish.
WiFi worked perfectly.
Kitchen fully equipped, just ring reception if you need more tea or anything.
Oh yes, beware the room service thingie that you hang on the door, somehow ours got turned around and the room wasn't cleaned whilst we were out. They were straight up with more towels as soon as I phoned the reception though.
All in all we left with a smile on our faces.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It’s always a pleasure to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay and would like to share their experience with others. The staff will be delighted to see your review.

I am glad you enjoyed our choice of Breakfast, which is varied and freshly prepared.

I do apologise that the Hairdryer was in the Bathroom and not the Bedroom, we do keep spare stocks, I have made a note on your profile so that if you choose to stay with us again, we shall arrange for a Hairdryer to be placed in the bedroom.

Customer feedback on Trip Advisor is very valuable for both accommodation providers and travellers and I am grateful that you have taken the time to post this review.

Manager – Skene House Holburn

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Stayed for two nights, couldn't fault the place. Spacious, very clean and comfortable suites, pleasant and really attentive staff, excellent breakfast, located two minutes from the city centre at a fraction of the cost of a small pokey corporate hotel. If you are staying in Aberdeen you would be mad not to try Skene House Holburn.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy G

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Skene House Holburn. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff looked after you in the way that Skene House is reputed for.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Skene House Holburn, Aberdeen.
Susan Aitken, Manager

Reviewed 24 August 2011

My husband and I thoroughly recommend the Skene House Holburn. Skene House is effectively a hotel, but instead of just one room, they provide you with an entire apartment. It is excellent value for money at £61 per night booked on LateRooms.

For this, we stayed in a fully furnished and equipped apartment with 2 bedrooms, received a complimentary drink of our choice from the bar and enjoyed a plentiful continental breakfast in the morning, with the option of a hot breakfast at an additional cost. However, there was so much choice from the continental buffet that we didn't need to order anything cooked.

The location of the hotel is excellent, just off the top of Union Street, which is the main shopping street of Aberdeen. However, despite its city centre location there is very little noise from outside. It is a quick 5-10 walk to the shops and to the Music Hall and theatre so it's great if you would like to enjoy a night out and then stay overnight.

There is a private car park to the rear of the hotel, with barrier entry and CCTV so that its possible to leave your car and not worry about it. Once we had checked out, we requested to leave our car in the carpark while we went shopping for a few years and this wasn't a problem at all.

Skene House would be ideal for those visiting Aberdeen on business as having a full apartment at your disposal is far more comfortable than a single hotel room. Similarly, you can take your own food and drink and cook in the apartment if you would like to stay in rather than dine out.

Can't fault this place, we will certainly be returning in future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daleykins
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Thank you very much for leaving a wonderful review of your recent stay at Skene House Holburn. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the comfort of Skene House.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in a one bedroom suite which was really a 2 bedroomed flat but with the added bonus of a great inclusive continental breakfast and a free drink!
All staff were very pleasant and we liked all the little touches like having our name on the door and fresh milk in the fridge.
Spotless, very handy for the centre of Aberdeen yet quiet with free parking - what more do you need.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Skene House Holburn. It was lovely to read that the staff were very pleasant and I am sure it was also a pleasure for the staff at Skene House Holburn to have you as one of their guests. I was also very pleased to read that the suite had everything you needed during your time with us. Our Housekeeping team were so happy to see that the cleanliness of your suite had been mentioned.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Skene House Holburn in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here for two nights and kind of regretted not planning our trip a bit differently so we would stay a few more nights here and do Abroath/Montrose as a tour from here. This is because the excellent accommodation was better then what we had in Montrose and cheaper as well! What I really liked here is although the place is very nice and widely recommended (see reviews here and on booking.com) the staff do not rest on their laurels but go out of the way to help and be pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Thank you very much for your recent review, after your stay at Skene House Holburn. It’s always a pleasure to receive such a fantastic review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff looked after you in the way that Skene House is reputed for. I am sure it was also a pleasure for the staff at Skene House Holburn to have you as one of their guests. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon to Skene House Holburn in the near future.