“Handy and homely”

Skene House Holburn
Ranked #18 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Good concept, good location, well appointed with being able to park within 100 yards of Union St a bonus.
Our suite looked a little in need of attention and the lighting is inadequate in bedroom and main room.
Sevice was fine at both reception and breakfast but some little touches were on the careless side - eg. the room info pack said the TV operating instructions could be found next to the remote control. But on questioning the staff about this I was told this wasn't the case.
I'd return but mainly if I wanted a functional rather than special place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us at Skene House Holburn.

Customer feedback on Trip Advisor is very valuable for both accommodation providers and travellers and I am grateful that you have taken the time to post this review.

Our staff at Reception and Breakfast will be pleased to see that you have mentioned them.

Please accept my apologies for not completely fulfilling our “service promise” to you, but with your comments we can resolve these issues and improve our service for our guests in the future.

I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to Skene House Holburn in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

This 2 bedroom apartment had everything, nice big kitchen and the place felt homely. The staff were always helpful and polite. It had plenty of car parking spaces and the rooms were cleaned to a high standard. I enjoyed my stay and I would like to thank Susan the manageress for all her help providing this apartment at short notice. The concierge was most helpful and always had a friendly smile. Its a lovely place to stay. Its a short walk down to Union street to lots of shops. I would recommend Skene House Holburn for a first visit to Aberdeen.

Room Tip: Ask at reception what type of room you would like before they allocate. I had a bedroom at the back...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

I would like to thank you for your lovely review and kind comments. I was delighted to read that you found your suite to be cleaned to a high standard and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m glad that our staff looked after you in the way that Skene House is reputed for. I’m sure it was also a pleasure for the staff at Skene House Holburn to have you as one of their guests. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Manager - Skene House Holburn

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed here with my daughter for just one night prior to a visit to Aberdeen University. We walked from the railway station up Union Street with out bags, which were light being for just one night! Skene House is situated just off this main shopping street on the junction of Holburn Raod and Union Grove. The reception was friendly and efficient, despite there being a mix up of names at the check in - not the hotels fault. Despite this a room was quickly allocated to us which was out of the main doors and about 50 metres down Union Grove. We had a swipe card and were shown a first floor apartment which was superbly fitted out - far more than we needed for our one nights stay, we could easily have stayed a week! Well equipped kitchen, double bedroom (no twins at this 'hotel') and modern bathroom. There was just one more apartment in this unit, which was on the ground floor. Lovely and quiet, the bedroom was at the back of the apartment onto a very quiet street. We explored Aberdeen and ate out, coming back for a complimentary drink in the lounge area before going back to the apartment. Next morning we had a continental breakfast in the main block (so another quick stroll from the apartment), completed our check out and headed off. A great place to stay - especially for a longer stay where you could use all the facilities (washing machine, ironing board, good kitchen etc)

Room Tip: Maybe ask to be in the main block then you don't have to go outside in the rain !
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for leaving us this wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I’m glad that you found the suite to be lovely and quiet and our staff friendly and efficient. Hopefully we can welcome you back for a longer stay at Skene House Holburn soon.

Manager - Skene House Holburn

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed this at a 2-bedrooms apartment during our relocation to Aberdeen. The best was the location, just right on the corner to Union St where we can easily go for foods, shopping and etc. The apartment/suites also furnished to very good standard and equipted with everything we need for cooking, daily laundry. The breakfast also reasonable good with option to order hot breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your suite well-equipped and furnished to a good standard. I’m glad you enjoyed our breakfast and found our selection reasonably good. We have since launched a new continental breakfast buffet and a la carte menu that we believe caters for everyone. I hope we can welcome you back to Skene House Holburn in the future and you can try out our new breakfast selection.

Manager – Skene House Holburn

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I just love this place. You effectively get a one bed roomed flat in the city centre. Amazing value at weekends with off street parking. It even includes breakfast and a honour bar. Having your own kitchen is tip top. This is a home from home for a decent price

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Pressendye
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that it was a home away from home.

Like all major Hotels we work with a ‘Best Available Rate’ system which is very reasonably priced.

We hope you can visit us again very soon.

Once again thank you for leaving this wonderful review.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We couldn't find a triple room so booked a 2 bedroom suite at Skene House. First impressions really good - large smart lounge with an honesty bar area (first drink complimentary - nice touch), a computer and printer for guest use and a table set up with tea, coffee etc to help yourself. Concierge showed us to our apartment - decor a bit dated - but comfortable, clean and everything we needed.
Came back after dinner to have a drink before bed from the honesty bar to be told by a grumpy receptionist that the bar closed at 11pm - OK, but we weren't told this on check in, and none of the info mentioned it. Not enough sockets in room (couldn't charge phone overnight next to bed - had to leave it in another room), very noisy plumbing, and A LOT of noise from other guests until 4am.
Nice continental breakfast in the morning, fresh tea, coffee, toast and great range from a well maintained buffet.
I would stay here again as part of a group of friends - felt a lot more homely than being in separate hotel rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Skene House Holburn.

I am confident that if you had stayed in our more modern suites either at Skene House Holburn or one of our sister sites you would have appreciated the more modern décor. Our 200 suites vary from modern minimalist decor and furnishings to the more traditional in our endeavour to cater for all needs.

I am glad you enjoyed our Deluxe Continental Breakfast, which is plentiful, varied and freshly prepared, through the morning. Our breakfast team will also be delighted to see your review.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Part of our ancestry is from the Aberdeen area. This was a good hub for searching. After finally finding a place to park and walking to the reception area, we were greeted warmly and taken to our room. It was on the 3rd (British) 4th (American) floor. We were offered help with our luggage. The building itself has existed for a while, but we found our 1-bedroom, bath, kitchen, and living room to be in excellent condition. The kitchen and bath were a little small, but usable. There were great views of Aberdeen from the front windows. The views at night were enjoyable also. Breakfast and laundry facilities are in the basement. The wait staff for breakfast were courteous and helpful. The breakfast offerings (which were included with our stay) were quite good. I did order porridge one morning and was surprised to find it was from a packet! Other than that we had good breakfasts.
The laundry room is used by all the rooms at Skene House Holburn and, aside from badly needing repair or replacement, does not have enough washers or driers for those who need/want to wash their clothes. We ended up bringing our not quite dry laundry up to dry in the room so we could go to bed. There is detergent available in the laundry for the guests' use.
There is no air conditioning, which we did not find a problem. A fan was located in the room.
The stairs. We used Booking.com to reserve our room. It did not state that at least part of the hotel has no elevator. That would have been helpful in order for us to request a room on a lower floor. Also, there is free parking (a real must for in town Aberdeen) but the web site for Skene house and Booking.com gave no clue how to locate it in order to check in easily and not have to pay the fee for on street parking. That should be easily correctable.

Room Tip: When I checked tripadvisor I found that some sections of the hotel have an elevator. Located close...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
SusanAitken, Manager at Skene House Holburn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at Skene House and that my staff provided a warm welcome to you.

I was a little disappointed to read your comments regarding the laundry facilities; we have 2 types of suites at Skene House Holburn, Executive and Superior. The executive suites are at a lower rate and do not come with Washer/dryers, however all our Superior suites do have washer dryers in them. We shall pass on your comments to pur Maintenance team so they can investigate this.

Due to the nature of the building we are unable to install elevators. I will contact Booking.com to make sure they are aware we have no elevators at Skene House Holburn. I shall also put a note on your profile so that if you wish to stay again, we shall try and allocate a lower floor.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Manager – Skene House Holburn