“Not thrilled, and felt a bit misled”
Review of Pure Spa & Beauty

Pure Spa & Beauty
Ranked #1 of 17 Spas & Wellness in Aberdeen
More attraction details
Owner description: We live for the time-starved individual, combining essential spa and beauty treatments in the same urban locations. Open late throughout the week with fully-accessible locations, our expert therapists are here for you even after your longest days! Located in Aberdeen's award-winning Union Square Shopping Centre, PURE Union Square adds a touch of relaxation in the heart of the city. Whether it's by car, bus or train, we pride ourselves in giving our clients an easily accessible escape. A brand you can trust, we are proud to hold several awards including UK Day Spa of the Year 2013. Whether you're a spa regular or beauty fanatic, we offer personally tailored experiences using industry-leading products such as Elemis and Leighton Denny. We also offer gift vouchers on the PURE webshop, ranging from beauty treatments to full day spa packages. With the spa experience only a click away, relaxation has never been easier!
Stavanger, Norway
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Not thrilled, and felt a bit misled”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked in a spa pamper day for our group and were looking forward to a day of relaxation. We were greeted and shown around by a very nice young lady, and changed into our robes and sandals and were led to the sauna room. The steam room was very nice, but the sauna itself was very strange. There was room for 2 average sized people in there, and was almost pointless to have such a miniscule sauna when you can't sit in it as a group!
We were shown to the relaxation room which was quite cold and we waited for our next treatment. It felt like ages-I was actually getting a bit anxious and antsy wondering why it was taking so long.
Finally we were taken to our individual treatments. I have to say that the treatment i received-the Thai Bundle-was extraordinary! But the wrap that was included in my treatment package was not what I was expecting. I thought I was going to have a mud wrap, but it turned out to be something else entirely. I was scrubbed down, and then rinsed off in the shower, and then body cream was applied. After this I was covered lightly with some plastic and a blanket. A body wrap should mean your body is cocooned and tightly wrapped so that it can sweat out toxins. I was actually cold during the wrap! Had I known this I would have gotten a facial instead.
Afterwards we returned again to the relaxation room-by this point I was starting to feel annoyed and antsy. We kept having to go back to that room that I didn't find all that relaxing. However, lunch was included with our package, and this was very enjoyable! The restaurant we went to was just next door inside the shopping center, and we had delicious food and dessert.
The final treatment of the day was a pedicure. This was probably the biggest disappointment for me and the reason I won't be going back. The pedicure consisted of no more than soaking the feet for a moment, clipping nails and then painting them. I don't know what you would call that, but it isn't a pedicure. I couldn't believe that they didn't take the hard skin away or at least exfoliate-later I saw that this was apparently an add on. I think that Pure Spa needs to be very clear in their brochures what is entailed in each package. For example, when it says that a wrap is included, one would assume it was a mud wrap, not another kind of wrap completely (that wasn't really a wrap). And if it says pedicure, I would expect more than just a wash and painting some color on my nails.
Unfortunately, I walked away with a disappointment over the entire experience, and will not be back.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank royaltrux
PURE S, Public Relations Manager at Pure Spa & Beauty, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Hi there, thank you for your feedback — it is much appreciated.

Regarding the wrap, the skin nourishing wrap is an exfoliating and moisturising body treatment to leave the skin soft and smooth. It is not a detoxifying treatment like a mud wrap. The full procedure is explained during the foot ritual, so we apologise if there was any misunderstanding.

The pedicure included in the pamper day package is the basic pedicure with no add-ons: a soak, nails cut/filed, cuticle tidy, foot cream, nails buffed and a colour polish applied. Any exfoliation/hard skin removal is an add on for deluxe/luxury pedicures.

As a point of notice, we will make sure our descriptions are clearer in future. Thank you for taking the time to give us your review and we hope you consider returning if something catches your eye!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hugely dissapointed!! Treatment lasted much less that what I have been told!!”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My husband gave me a voucher for a top-to-toe treatment. When he bought the voucher he was told the treatment lasted about three hours. When I booked it I was told it lasted about two. I went for the treatment and lasted just one and a half! But the treatment itself didn't even last that but under 50 minutes: a less than five minutes foot massage, a 20 minute back massage and a 20 minute facial. The rest of the time I was in the sauna or waiting in the relaxing area. I told the lady at the reception that I wasn't sure I got the treatment I was booked in, since it was meant to last much longer and she actually agreed with me and said that it should have lasted 20 minutes more (?????) but that extra time I was supposed to spend it in the relaxing area, basically sitting in a room sipping some water. Frankly, I can do that at home too FOR FREE.
My appointment was early in the morning and the place wasn't busy at all, so I don't know if they were in a rush or they just can't be bothered. The girl who did my treatment was really nice and professional, so I have no complaints at all about her work, but about the company itself, which is selling a product than then are not offering. If my husband had been told that the treatment consisted of a 50 minutes massage and facial and 40 minutes in the sauna and relaxing area, he would have never got me that for that money and gone somewhere else. For the money paid, I was expecting a two hours treatment and not a 50 minutes one. It absolutely spoilt what it was meant to be a nice present and a treat, since I don't normally get time to myself.
Reading other reviews. I can't agree more with them. I just wish I had checked the reviews in trip advisor before I went. I will definitely not be going back. I feel like it was a rip-off and I waste of my time.

Visited December 2013
8 Thank AnnaAB11
Montrose, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Rushed & didn't feel like the treat it should have been!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband had booked me in for a 50 minute deluxe pedicure on a rare night away from our daughter and i was very much looking forward to a wee bit of pampering. My appointment was at 6pm and was meant to last for 50 minutes and include a foot massage.

My husband was therefore very surprised to find me back in our hotel by 6.30pm. Not only did my 50 minute pedicure only last under 30 minutes, my massage part lasted under 2 minutes and at the end of my pedicure i was left to remove the toe seperators and sandals myself whilst my nails were still wet. Thankfully i had sandals of my own and was able to get these on without smudging the nail polish. But i thought i would have been allowed the time to sit and wait until they were dry.

It was quite clear that i was obviously the last appointment of the day and the young girls were eager to get out - even packing up everything whilst i was sitting there.

I was left feeling very disappointed in what was meant to be a treat and at £38 i would have been better off having bought some nail polish and doing it myself.

We did receive an email asking for feedback and I sent this exact information back but we have never heard back.

Very disappointed.

Visited November 2013
6 Thank Kezza2311
PURE S, Public Relations Manager at Pure Spa & Beauty, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Hi Kerry. It is completely unacceptable that you felt rushed out and we have taken appropriate measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

To show how much we value your time with us, we would like to offer you a free Deluxe Pedicure - so that you can have the full treatment to the standards that should have been delivered. Alternatively, we could offer you £38 credit to use on another treatment of your choice.

Please contact PURE Spa Union Square on 01224 211 639 to arrange this. We wish you all the best!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very poor customer service, everything is done in a rush”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

One of our friends was getting married so we decided to go for a spa treatment, the package included Manicure, Pedicure, Massage and Facial.. i think in total it was around 100 pounds per person. We came 10 minutes late have been told to wait on the sofas. We have been ignored for 10-15 minutes till one of the women approached as an said that because we are so late we will have to drop one of the treatments (but still paying for the full package). I was really surprised to hear that as we have been left waiting in the lounge area for 15 minutes. We decided to drop the manicure session and just enjoy the rest our pamper day. The girl who did my massage, facial and pedicure was very nice and bubbly. She made sure that I was relaxed and comfy, also telling me what products she is going to use and how I am going to benefit from them.
The spa itself looked like it needed renovation.. I mean for the price you pay you would expect it to be beautiful and up to date, however I felt like they have not changed anything since the opening which was about 4 years ago if I am not mistaking.
After we were done with massage and facial which was average we were seated in the pedicure area. Once the girl finished my pedicure I was offered a drink and told that i have to way at least 20 minutes for the polish to dry (and that there is nor rush and we can stay as long as we like). We were chatting away for about 15 minutes when a very mean member of stuff came and literally kick us out!.. was very rude. Just said- your nails should be dry now, its time for you to go.. I was shocked!.. for the money you pay, you would expect at least some respect towards you! I put my shoes on, just to find out at home that my nails were totally ruined!
I enjoyed my time there because I had my friends around and my therapist was a very nice outgoing girl.. but would defiantly NEVER EVER go back..

Visited October 2013
4 Thank JEKGE
PURE S, Public Relations Manager at Pure Spa & Beauty, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Hi, thank you for taking the time to give us such comprehensive feedback. We apologise wholeheartedly if you felt like you were being unfairly treated or rushed. Your review has been directed to the relevant party at Union Square and we will be in touch as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Gel Polish”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I've been having Gel nails for 8 years in London and they've always lasted 3 weeks. Had my first set here and they did look lovely but only lasted 10 days. I re-booked in again as I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and had the worst set of gel nails ever applied. uneven, bobbly and messy. To add insult to injury the assistant offered me a 10% discount on the treatment which I thought was a joke! They did offer to try and rectify the problem but I didn't have time to stay but I also didn't see the point in the same therapist doing another set,

I have emailed the branch tonight and am awaiting a response.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Victoria_H703
PURE S, Public Relations Manager at Pure Spa & Beauty, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Hi Victoria! Thank you for your feedback - we appreciate it. I believe you have already spoken with Lisa from Union Square and have been booked in for a re-application with her. I have been told that you were pleased with our response and we look forward to seeing you again.