“A moment of calm”
Review of Pure Spa & Beauty

Pure Spa & Beauty
Ranked #1 of 18 Spas & Wellness in Aberdeen
More attraction details
Owner description: We live for the time-starved individual, combining essential spa and beauty treatments in the same urban locations. Open late throughout the week with fully-accessible locations, our expert therapists are here for you even after your longest days! Located in Aberdeen's award-winning Union Square Shopping Centre, PURE Union Square adds a touch of relaxation in the heart of the city. Whether it's by car, bus or train, we pride ourselves in giving our clients an easily accessible escape. A brand you can trust, we are proud to hold several awards including UK Day Spa of the Year 2013. Whether you're a spa regular or beauty fanatic, we offer personally tailored experiences using industry-leading products such as Elemis and Leighton Denny. We also offer gift vouchers on the PURE webshop, ranging from beauty treatments to full day spa packages. With the spa experience only a click away, relaxation has never been easier!
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have visited a few times now and very time it has been very enjoyable.

I fist went with my friend on a deal where we got massage, facial and time in the sauna. It was very relaxing and we were well looked after.

I also went to a hot stone back massage with my partner, which we both very much enjoyed, despite his reservations about being massaged!

The only comment I would have is that I would be nice to have a couples treatment room. When you book a couples package, you expect to be seen together, and to be taken off into separate rooms is a bit of a shame.

I also had a full wax here, which was done very well by a lovely caring therapist who put me very much a ease, despite the fact that I had never had a wax before.

Most recently I visited at Christmas for a mani-pedicure with my friend. Unfortunately our taxi was late, so we were over 30mins late for an appointment that was only supposed to be 30 mins! As it was Christmas and a bust night, they were unable to accommodate our whole treatment, but were kind enough to find us one therapist who did both our nails, and allowed us to save the pedicure for a later date. We really appreciated their flexibility in allowing us to do this, and can't wait to go back to claim the pedicure!

Overall, consistently good and relaxing.

PURE S, Public Relations Manager at Pure Spa & Beauty, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Hi there, thanks for such a stellar review.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed yourself — and that your partner got over his reservations! It's also really nice to hear feedback regarding the therapists and their flexibility. As busy as we get, we do try to please everyone! Thank you for your other comments; we will definitely pass these on to the correct parties.

Looking forward to seeing you again at PURE Union Square! :)

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited Pure Spa with my sister to spend vouchers I had been given at Christmas. (incidentally, I had decided to use the vouchers against products instead of treatments due to the less than positive reviews on TripAdvisor). We were greeted by a rather glum, unsmiling assistant who gave the impression that she would rather be elsewhere, I asked her for information with regard to the products on offer, she was a bit vague in her explanations but what really irked was that she stood and cracked all her knuckles, slowly and carefully as she talked! I asked her if she wanted to punch me (jokingly I may add!), she just looked at me, blankly. I chose a box set, more due to the advice from my sister, a beauty product aficionado, who was completely ignored as she browsed. While I appreciate that Pure Spa is well, a spa, not a shop, I felt that we were treated with such apathy & rudeness I would NEVER dream of going for a treatment there, buy any further products OR recommend it to anyone.

5  Thank Moira M

Hi Moira — thank you for taking time to feed back your experience. We are sorry that you feel that we did not provide the level of service expected. We have investigated the matter fully.

It was one of our management team that served you on the day. She has been with the company for 4 years and always receives incredibly good feedback from customers on our internal review system. She has been a fully qualified Spa & Beauty therapist since 2009 so has great product knowledge, particularly with Elemis.

Perhaps on this occasion your joke was misunderstood, regarding the punch.

We will of course see if we can learn any lessons from your comments and I do hope should you chose to visit again you would have a very different experience

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We booked in a spa pamper day for our group and were looking forward to a day of relaxation. We were greeted and shown around by a very nice young lady, and changed into our robes and sandals and were led to the sauna room. The steam room was very nice, but the sauna itself was very strange. There was room for 2 average sized people in there, and was almost pointless to have such a miniscule sauna when you can't sit in it as a group!
We were shown to the relaxation room which was quite cold and we waited for our next treatment. It felt like ages-I was actually getting a bit anxious and antsy wondering why it was taking so long.
Finally we were taken to our individual treatments. I have to say that the treatment i received-the Thai Bundle-was extraordinary! But the wrap that was included in my treatment package was not what I was expecting. I thought I was going to have a mud wrap, but it turned out to be something else entirely. I was scrubbed down, and then rinsed off in the shower, and then body cream was applied. After this I was covered lightly with some plastic and a blanket. A body wrap should mean your body is cocooned and tightly wrapped so that it can sweat out toxins. I was actually cold during the wrap! Had I known this I would have gotten a facial instead.
Afterwards we returned again to the relaxation room-by this point I was starting to feel annoyed and antsy. We kept having to go back to that room that I didn't find all that relaxing. However, lunch was included with our package, and this was very enjoyable! The restaurant we went to was just next door inside the shopping center, and we had delicious food and dessert.
The final treatment of the day was a pedicure. This was probably the biggest disappointment for me and the reason I won't be going back. The pedicure consisted of no more than soaking the feet for a moment, clipping nails and then painting them. I don't know what you would call that, but it isn't a pedicure. I couldn't believe that they didn't take the hard skin away or at least exfoliate-later I saw that this was apparently an add on. I think that Pure Spa needs to be very clear in their brochures what is entailed in each package. For example, when it says that a wrap is included, one would assume it was a mud wrap, not another kind of wrap completely (that wasn't really a wrap). And if it says pedicure, I would expect more than just a wash and painting some color on my nails.
Unfortunately, I walked away with a disappointment over the entire experience, and will not be back.

2  Thank royaltrux
PURE S, Public Relations Manager at Pure Spa & Beauty, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Hi there, thank you for your feedback — it is much appreciated.

Regarding the wrap, the skin nourishing wrap is an exfoliating and moisturising body treatment to leave the skin soft and smooth. It is not a detoxifying treatment like a mud wrap. The full procedure is explained during the foot ritual, so we apologise if there was any misunderstanding.

The pedicure included in the pamper day package is the basic pedicure with no add-ons: a soak, nails cut/filed, cuticle tidy, foot cream, nails buffed and a colour polish applied. Any exfoliation/hard skin removal is an add on for deluxe/luxury pedicures.

As a point of notice, we will make sure our descriptions are clearer in future. Thank you for taking the time to give us your review and we hope you consider returning if something catches your eye!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

My husband gave me a voucher for a top-to-toe treatment. When he bought the voucher he was told the treatment lasted about three hours. When I booked it I was told it lasted about two. I went for the treatment and lasted just one and a half! But the treatment itself didn't even last that but under 50 minutes: a less than five minutes foot massage, a 20 minute back massage and a 20 minute facial. The rest of the time I was in the sauna or waiting in the relaxing area. I told the lady at the reception that I wasn't sure I got the treatment I was booked in, since it was meant to last much longer and she actually agreed with me and said that it should have lasted 20 minutes more (?????) but that extra time I was supposed to spend it in the relaxing area, basically sitting in a room sipping some water. Frankly, I can do that at home too FOR FREE.
My appointment was early in the morning and the place wasn't busy at all, so I don't know if they were in a rush or they just can't be bothered. The girl who did my treatment was really nice and professional, so I have no complaints at all about her work, but about the company itself, which is selling a product than then are not offering. If my husband had been told that the treatment consisted of a 50 minutes massage and facial and 40 minutes in the sauna and relaxing area, he would have never got me that for that money and gone somewhere else. For the money paid, I was expecting a two hours treatment and not a 50 minutes one. It absolutely spoilt what it was meant to be a nice present and a treat, since I don't normally get time to myself.
Reading other reviews. I can't agree more with them. I just wish I had checked the reviews in trip advisor before I went. I will definitely not be going back. I feel like it was a rip-off and I waste of my time.

8  Thank AnnaAB11
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband had booked me in for a 50 minute deluxe pedicure on a rare night away from our daughter and i was very much looking forward to a wee bit of pampering. My appointment was at 6pm and was meant to last for 50 minutes and include a foot massage.

My husband was therefore very surprised to find me back in our hotel by 6.30pm. Not only did my 50 minute pedicure only last under 30 minutes, my massage part lasted under 2 minutes and at the end of my pedicure i was left to remove the toe seperators and sandals myself whilst my nails were still wet. Thankfully i had sandals of my own and was able to get these on without smudging the nail polish. But i thought i would have been allowed the time to sit and wait until they were dry.

It was quite clear that i was obviously the last appointment of the day and the young girls were eager to get out - even packing up everything whilst i was sitting there.

I was left feeling very disappointed in what was meant to be a treat and at £38 i would have been better off having bought some nail polish and doing it myself.

We did receive an email asking for feedback and I sent this exact information back but we have never heard back.

Very disappointed.

6  Thank Kezza2311
PURE S, Public Relations Manager at Pure Spa & Beauty, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Hi Kerry. It is completely unacceptable that you felt rushed out and we have taken appropriate measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

To show how much we value your time with us, we would like to offer you a free Deluxe Pedicure - so that you can have the full treatment to the standards that should have been delivered. Alternatively, we could offer you £38 credit to use on another treatment of your choice.

Please contact PURE Spa Union Square on 01224 211 639 to arrange this. We wish you all the best!