“Absolutely excellent”

The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is the best hotel in Aberdeen. I have a meeting in a nearby hotel and thought I would stay in Marcliffe for a change, after all, it is an SLH hotel and I am a member. I did not know what to expect. I have stayed in similar 'hotel and spa' in Scotland and was not particularly impressed-expensive but not impressive. As the door to my room was opened, however, I smiled. The room was vast, beautifully decorated, bathroom was big, clean with Molton Brown. Space, space and more space-I love it.

I like the writing desk in tucked in a small workspace equipped with good lighting and plug points. Everything reflects class and refinement-no modern tacky furnitures. The artist in me immediately approve the assemble of beautifully carved furnitures in the room. Comfortable pillows and plenty of. Extremely comfortable bed. Warm.

Wi-Fi-free and available throughout, good connection

Price-like everywhere else in Aberdeen-higher than what you would pay in Edinburgh or Glasgow, but this is good value for money.

Location-Deeside road-quiet, upmarket suburban, long stretch of road to jog (which I did), very safe. Need a car to town, but I walked, Aberdeen is not that big of a city. Has large parking area.

Garden-vast, beautifully tendered.

Staff friendliness-yes, they are helpful. Wonderful service.

So, this definitely the best 'hotel/spa' of its kind I have stayed in. I like the attention to the fine details-and the perfection.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 June 2013

As a resident of Aberdeen, have heard many reviews, word of mouth, about how beautiful, excellent and amazing this place is. It was our privilege to stay for pleasure and it excelled my expectations. The staff are obviously trained to a high level of customer care and enjoy their job, which comes across in their enthusiasm to help with any queries you may have. Me, my husband and 3 children had a wonderful experience at the Marcliffe and I'm already looking for excuses to go back and stay!

Room Tip: good adjoining rooms 218+219. Overlooking the main entrance to the hotel, no noise experienced.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We picked this hotel as it belongs to Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH) and the very favourable reviews on Tripadvisor. However, this hotel seems to cater primarily towards events and treats you accordingly.
Examples: we drive up to the hotel entrance, being watched by four employees at the reception desk and in the entrance hall. No one moves, nor welcomes us, nor asks if we need help with luggage. So I pointedly hand the car keys over while we check-in. Still no attempt to get the luggage or to park the car. A notice in the room admonishes us that “The majority of guests who stay in our hotel reuse their towels!” and warns us to not pinch the 300ml Molton Brown Products. A note from the GM advises us that weekend breakfasts tend to be “very busy and the timing condensed” due to events held on the previous evening and that breakfast is cooked to order and thus may take longer than usual. Nevertheless, the scrambled eggs next morning were made out of the usual, industrial pre-mix... And despite having made a dinner reservation for 19:30, house-keeping attempts down-turn service at 19:10. Does anyone from SLH ever check how their members operate???
On the positive side, the bar stocks something like 160 different Single Malts, is staffed by extremely knowledgeable and friendly folks and the dinner was excellent.
So, go for drinks and dinner, but don't expect a Small Luxury Hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MJN
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is a first class hotel, and we had a first class experience. The hotel is in a beautiful park-like location, and the interior is beautifully decorated. We received excellent treatment and service from the time we arrived. We booked our room with the half-board option, and we experienced one of the best dinner meals of our trip here. My steak was one of the best I have ever had. The breakfast was very good also. Staying at this hotel was one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I've stayed at the Marcliffe several times and this latest visit, on business, was an exceptionally good experience. The room, as always was clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff throughout the hotel were extremely attentive and friendly. The hotel has a lovely bar/lounge area in which you can feel very much at home. But the restaiurant is extremely good. I had Russian King Crab for a starter, which the owner has especially imported from Northern Russia. It is fantastic. If you've ever seen that programme on Sky called The World's Deadliest Catch you will know about the trouble they go to to catch king crab. I can tell you I now know what all the fuss is about. Don't go without trying it. I also had an exceptionally good ribeye steak. The head waiter, Ian, is one of those rare people in a restaurant who really looks after you and very much enjoys his job. From helping with your food choice to recommending a good wine, Ian's attention to detail is unrivalled in my experience.
The Marcliffe Hotel is my hotel of choice whenever I am in Aberdeen and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Stayed at the Marcliffe on business for the fifth time and the quality of service is impeccable. The rooms are tastefully furnished and cleanliness is second to nowhere. The real highlight is the restaurant with excellent steaks, seafood, local produce and a great selection of wines. Simply faultless and deserving of the five star rating.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have been at numerous different events and social occasions at The Marcliffe and I'm yet to be disappointed. The food, the service, the ambiance... all fantastic! They are famous for their steaks, so I'd highly recommend trying them!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business