“Superb meal in lovely atmosphere”

The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This Sunday lunch was a birthday lunch for a close friend.The meal was excellent a wide choice served well.We were a party of eight with a small child.everyone needs were catered for.nothing appeared to be too much trouble.My appetizer ,a duck confit and black pudding(the pudding which is everywhere these days) only needed a few potatoes to be a main course .It was excellent on its own and the main courses were also generous and truly tasty.The pace of the service was just right.So often staff annoy by topping up wine glasses in a very intrusive fashion.Not here !The staff were very attentive without being noticed.after the food we moved to the lounge where coffee and fudge/chocolates were served.A very comfortable welcoming room where we were allowed to tarry for as long as we wished.I was a guest so do not know what the bill came to(expensive I guess) but it was a great meal in outstanding surroundings( although there are I think rather too many plaques and photos of famous guests)
I

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed here as a surprise from my other half as an anniversary present, as soon as I stepped in the door, I felt they had a great set-up. Location is beautiful and peaceful, we sat on the outside terrace having a drink, you feel like you are nestled in the middle of nowhere (as opposed to just off the main road!
On checking in the receptionist had every detail of our stay down to a tee, and re-confirmed the details of spa appointments/dinner. Our suite was lovely, comfortable sofa, plenty of space, and lovely fresh fruit as a welcome. The only slight downside was the bathroom, it really needs upgraded, the tiles and worktop for the sink are very 90's.
We both had massages in the spa, which was lovely, the girls in the spa were very welcoming, and my massage was great, I can't speak for my partner, but we were both very relaxed afterwards! No swimming pool here which is a definite downside given that you are a wee bit away from the nearest local pool.
We had dinner booked for 8, and arrived at the bar at 7.45, we didn't need to mention that we were there to have dinner, they knew, a nice touch that they clearly pay attention to who the guests are.
The waitress was attentive, and had a lovely manner, and the maitre'd was likewise. Seated for dinner in a timely manner, and proceeded to enjoy a lovely meal, very tasty. We both had steak which the Marcliffe is renowned for, and it did not disappoint, The dessert menu could perhaps be slightly improved, and unfortunately, we had a hiccup as a ordered the fruit crumble but it wasn't mentioned in the menu that the crumble contained nuts which I can't eat. My partner and I swapped desserts, and I'm sure they would have been happy to replace it, the waitress indicated this, but it maybe should be explained in the menu.
We were then asked if we would like to take coffee in the lounge, and then when it became colder the waitress asked if we wanted to move to another area of the lounge.
Overall, I couldn't fault the stay, although the 10.30 check out in the morning I felt was a touch early for my liking!
Would happily return, and feel it was good value for what we had as well.

Room Tip: We stayed in the drum suite, its above the door, so might cause problems if there were a wedding on!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night and although they were busy with a wedding and other functions the service, as always, was excellent. Dinner in the restaurant was delicious as was the breakfast. The staff are young but very well trained and a delight. We stay at the Marcliffe occasionally as a treat and we have never had a bad experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank hjoanc2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I eat here reasonably regularly and have never had a bad experience - lovely food, beautiful hotel and professional, helpful staff. Highly recommended for anything from a light lunch with friends to a special event.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Ossie88
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My wife and I have travelled widely, and always seek excellence. We had a two day stay here to recover from our overseas flight, en route to a ten day fishing excursion on the River Spey. Outstanding in every way. All members of the staff were pleasant and helpful, and our room (Dunnottar) could not have been more comfortable. We dined in the restaurant twice, and found it delightful (food being a high priority when we travel). We highly recommend the Marcliffe, and would love to stay there again.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I did not intend to write a review as this is not a pleasant subject, however, after the diffident and unhelpful response i received from the general manager to my e mail informing him of my experience after attending a function at the hotel, l i thought that others ought to be aware that not every visit to this establishment is good. On the evening, i did actually enjoy the meal. I had been looking forward to it and had not eaten during the day in order to appreciate the fine dining. However, during the night i was violently sick and was aware of the reason why as i could taste and see the offending food which had made me so ill. I wrote to the manager, in the first instance to inform him in the event that anyone else had also been ill following the evening. The reply was offhand and accusatory insisting that it must have been something i had eaten elsewhere, and that how could i be so confident that it was the salmon starter that i had eaten on the evening. I am not a sickly person and am rarely affected by food, but i just i knew when i was ill that it was the food from the meal at the Marcliffe which made me so sick. In retrospect i wish i had gone to hospital and had environmental health carryout an investigation instead of writing to the manager and receiving such an offhand reply. I have since made enquiries and found that it only requires 2 reports to instigate an enquiry into food safety when an person becomes ill from eating in a public restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank thelilacs4
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My son and daughter in law came over from USA and took my wife and I to the hotel for a meal.
Though a bit pricey the food and service was excellent. If you want good food and service you have to pay for it. A very enjoyable night we had.
So I would recommend it to any holiday people.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends