“Sunday roast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Athenaeum - CLOSED

The Athenaeum
Cuisines: Bar, British, International
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Sunday roast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Instead of cooking a Sunday roast, we headed to the Athenaeum for lunch a little while ago; it was a few weeks ago now but I do recall the beef was first class and came with all the trimmings. We did remark that it was worth every penny to have a great, home-cooked style meal, with no washing up!

One of the chefs came to carve the meat at the table which was nice but the waiting staff could've been a little sharper and the restaurant a little warmer. The guy playing acoustic guitar and singing wasn't great and at times was slightly off-putting though he wasn't, unlike in many places, too loud.

Overall, the food is the main event and makes it worth the visit; the other aspects are far from bad, could just be made a little better.

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Reggae Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I went down to Athenaeum on a Tuesday night which is the regular Jerk food night. The food was excellent. I had Southern Fried chicken wings, sitcky ribs and jambalaya and they were all brilliant. The service was friendly and the music was brilliant creating an overall great experience. I have been back since for food off the normal menu and was equally impressed!

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank Mike M
“Great bar, great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We went along for our (belated) Christmas night out with the 10 Dollar Shake bartenders and had a fantastic meal, thanks to The Athenaeum and Chris Tonner of Beetroot Restaurants. Friendly staff, prompt service and great food...with healthy servings! Defo recommend, plus Chris' other restaurants, La Stella and The Courtyard.

2 Thank Adrian G
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Scrumdiddlyumptious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I do like to try different places but time after time I find myself coming back here. The food is so good (I've already eaten my way through half the menu!) and the service is friendly and fast. It's one of the few places I've found that allow children whilst remaining trendy and not feeling like a creche. And, when I don't have my son in tow, it is one of my favourite places to chill out with a drink from their super extensive cocktail selection. I recently visited three other bars apparently known for cocktails but none had what I was looking for. The Athenaeum's white russians are supreme by the way.

1 Thank Glitz_11
“Bonjour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Choc orange cheesecake. The business. I stay in Aberdeen four nights a week , I saw a que and headed over to see what was going on in that place... Waited ten min for a table but the lamb tempura with that corona sauce thingy- tasty. Cheesecake and a wee glass of red- splendid!! On my train home but sure to return next week. Ps what's happening with those gardens at union street... Shame to lose them