“Friendly service and great atmosphere”
Review of The Athenaeum - CLOSED

The Athenaeum
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly service and great atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had a late evening meal at the Athenaeum on a Saturday night in January. On arrival we were welcomed by a member of staff and shown to our table. There was a mix of people eating and others drinking cocktails, with the soul and disco music in the background it made for a really nice atmosphere. We had food from the main menu and from the tapa style menu, all the food was yummy and went down a treat. We stayed for some cocktails before going to the nightclub downstairs. All in all it was a great evening and would highly recommend for anyone looking for a relaxing night out with good food and wide selection of drinks.

“Expected More”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Really surprised that I have to write such a terrible review for this place, as it was recommended by a trusted friend, but the afternoon tea here was the worst I've had. Visited today for a birthday treat for myself with some chums. When I booked a few weeks ago I was asked if I had a discount voucher, I didn't. When we arrived we were asked if we had a voucher, again no. Another server came to ask us about the voucher, erm no! When we paid once again we were asked, by this time I wished to god I had one as it was just not worth the money. Service was average, nothing special. We ordered drinks that never came, and had to remind the girl behind the bar about them. She was chatting to other members of staff at the time. Annoying thing was the place was dead, no wonder. The server admitted to having to go and buy teabags or milk (can't remember which one) for my friends tea, as they had run out, bizarre. The cocktail tasted like lemsip, and the sandwiches had been stored in the fridge as the bread was hard. The fillings were ham and pickle - not bad, Egg - alright, and Salmon looked gross, tasted ok. Cakes were ok, nothing special. When we finished the food the girl said she would clear the table, 2 hours later food was still there, but we just couldn't be bothered complaining. Went to pay, charged more than was advertised on the website, didn't realise till I got home, and there was an issue with the card machine. The price I paid would have been worth it if the service I received was friendly and attentive, and the food was good and homely but to be honest could have done a better job in my own house. Place was dead, so an opportunity was missed for return business. With so few customers sandwiches could have been made fresh, and service could have been top notch. Seeing staff eat at the bar whilst ordering drinks, is just completely off-putting. Disappointing.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Service with a smile and excellent food!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I went there with my OH for my birthday last night and we couldn't say enough about the place. The food was delicious, the service was fantastic and, because we had a Spree voucher, we had a 2 course meal with a drink each for £27! Relaxing atmosphere and not too noisy to speak like many bar restaurants on a Saturday night.

I especially liked that the food was served on slates. Fajitas were fantastic.

Visited January 2014
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“An unsung gem in the "heart" of Aberdeen”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I thought i was just by coincidence that i have been frequenting this place of late, as i have reason to be in the vicinity on many times of the week, but now i realise the food and the welcoming greeting, simply has been the reasons for my visits. The food is varied, traditional and moorish, expertly prepared and presented. The seating can be either comfortable or VERY COMFORTABLE, (large sofa etc...) the staff cant do enough to make you very welcome, the decor is relaxing as is the background music. Price compares to most in Aberdeen, but here you really get what you pay for.

1 Thank Jim S
Scotland
“Lovely afternoon tea”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Thank you to all at The Athenaeum for a lovely afternoon tea today. We emailed last minute to enquire about availability for afternoon tea the following day and they were very accommodating, especially as it is December and of course they are very busy. The afternoon tea itself was superb - a good variety of sandwiches, lovely warm scone with cream and jam and lots of fancies and cakes to tempt anyone. Along with the cocktail teapot (we opted for Tea Thyme, which was fabulous), it was a really lovely way to spend an afternoon. Would be especially great with a group of girlfriends. Thank you to Charlene for sorting us out and being so helpful!

• Visited December 2013