“Standard”

Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Standard”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Good hotel, nice room, about a 15 minute walk from Union square. Breakfast was okay, staff were a little bit offish. I stayed here on business I would stay here again if I couldn't get anything nearer to union square, just purely for convenience

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
ExpressAberdeen, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for your comments Cornishboy72

It's good to see that you were satisfied with your stay at the hotel but apologies that you felt the staff were not as approachable as you would have liked. I'm certain that this is not the impression they intended to give.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Greek first
Carlisle
Reviewed 9 August 2013

A very welcoming hotel. Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable. Bar is quite small but had no problem getting a seat, as being in the city centre most people went out. Big bonus is they show Sky Sports so could watch the evening match.
I stayed with my wife and grand-daughter, the later loved the vending machines.
Only drawback was parking. They have about 10 parking spaces but you have to park on road or in multi-storey if you cant get there early enough. But I suppose you should expect that from a city centre hotel.
BIGGEST DOWNSIDE ......NO BACON AT BREAKFAST

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Many thanks for your comments Colin G

It's great to read how much you enjoyed your visit and I hope your team were victorious in the match!

Parking is a bit of an issue but, as you mentioned, we are lucky to have the multi-storey facility just 100 yards away.

I will pass on your comment regarding the bacon as this is not something that we can add to the buffet without a change to Holiday Inn Express brand standards.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My son and I visited Aberdeen on business and we need a roof over our head. Apart from being handy for the city center this hotel offers nothing !

Miserable faces in reception doubling as bar maids. We were an inconvenience. I reported stains on the carpet within five minutes of check in. I was told the rooms need refurbishment. A plastic breakfast which tasted like cardboard.

The beds are clean, however get ready, not much sleep. The squarking dawn chorus at 4 am every morning and late into the evening is unbearable.

Parking limited on a first come first serve basis under the hotel and very tight manouvring, unless your in a mini. Booking out today and we definitely won't be coming back. Very very poor.

Room Tip: Find another hotel for a better room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
ExpressAberdeen, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thanks for your review nick v and my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay.

I'm sure the staff did not mean to give you the impression that they were not happy as we usually get much more positive feedback about their performance.

There are a few rooms with marked carpets and I apologise that you were allocated one of these. We are indeed awaiting a refurbishment and this will naturally include the replacement of all floor coverings.

Regrettably, with Aberdeen being a coastal city, there is not a lot that we can do about the local seagulls although I entirely agree that at some times of the year, they can be a nuisance.

I do hope you will reconsider your decision about a repeat visit after the hotel has undergone its' refurbishment.

Regards

Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 separate nights. The first night which was a Wednesday the price on their website was £165 for a one night stay. Who would pay that amount for a stay at HIX. Anyway I did a best price guarantee which was honoured and I got the night free. Second night was a Friday which was a more acceptable rate. Staff aren't very friendly. There isn't much conversation with them other than checking you in. Think they are just doing their job. Anyway room was fine very quiet. You know what you are getting with HIX as the rooms are all the same. Breakfast was okay though I didn't sample the hot items. A comment, no reflection on the hotel, if there was more choice with IHG, as only the one hotel in Aberdeen city centre. Will return as very convenient for the city centre.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Many thanks for your review fluffysheep

Firstly, well done for managing to obtain a free night through our Best Price Guarantee and thank you for highlighting the price discrepancy.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay but apologise if the staff appeared indifferent at reception, This has been pointed out to them already and I can assure you that they did not intend to give this impression.

IHG do have a Crowne Plaza in the pipeline for central Aberdeen which will greatly improve our presence in the city. In the meantime, there are 3 other properities on the outskirts for those who do not require a central location.

Scotland
Reviewed 4 August 2013

we booked this through expedia and straight away we where made to feel like second hand citizens with no rights to complain about the room.we booked 3 adults and 1 child and the way it was done it indicated that we paid for an extra adult with a bed at an extra cost of £20, unfortunately the child had to share a bed with the adult. Now luckily enough for us they where 2 sisters but I paid extra for them to have their own bed, but the management again told me because I booked through expedia it was their fault. The hotel itself is absolutely `roasting` and impossible to sleep in because of it. They are obviously trying to mirror the Premier Inn style of hotels but in my book the Premier Inn wins hands down. Also no apologies or anything from the reception staff for the hotel being evacuated because of the fire alarm.In a nutshell,too hot,rooms small,poor customer service and would I return probably not.

Room Tip: go to Premier Inn
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
ExpressAberdeen, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for your comments ronniew.

I have to admit that I am very surprised that you feel you were treated like a "second class citizen" due to booking via Expedia. Having spoken to you personally, I cannot imagine what gave you this impression, particularly as you seemed so grateful for the offer of an additional free room for the first night of your stay.

As I explained at the hotel, the details on the Expedia web site, and indeed the copy of your confirmation that you showed me, clearly described the room as "One Double and One Sofa Bed". I cannot find any reference on the site that indicates in any way that an additional bed would be supplied. I additionally don't recall blaming Expedia although I did assure you that I would double-check that their descriptions were accurate.

The temperature in the bedrooms of late has certainly been rather high during this spell of glorious weather and regrettably, there is not much we can do about it in the short term. The hotel's owners are however committed to the installation of air-conditioning in the future and I am hopeful that this will happen before the end of next year.

I do apologise that you were disturbed by a fire alarm and hope you understand that these things are sometimes unavoidable. The reception staff do try to be as sympathetic as possible in such circumstances although naturally, the safety of our guests is the number one priority. With well over 220 customers on that particular night, it is understandable to a certain extent that they were unable to apologise personally to everyone.

I am extremely sorry that you felt so dissatisfied following your visit to our hotel; this is not a situation that we would want any customer to be in. I sincerely hope that you will reconsider your stance in the future and give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves with another visit.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed here in previous years for four nights but would be reluctant to return again after last month's visit. There must be some sort of problem with the fire alarm which has gone off during every single stay i've ever had there. Last time was at 8am and i ended up outside in my trousers and vest in a car-park. The breakfast always seems to be a carry-on too and nothing runs smoothly. Be prepared to queue up for ages for sausages that are like leather when you try and cut them. I know this is not fault of the hotel, but the noise from outside is incredible due to the location of the hotel and pubs/clubs nearby, not to mention an all-night bakers across the road. Also, the noise from inside the hotel is incredible too with doors banging all night long. It's a popular hotel for party-goers to stay due to it being in the city centre. Good for entertainment value as long as you don't want to sleep.

Room Tip: As for a room at the back as it tends to be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback YS385

My apologies for the issues you have experienced with the fire alarms when staying with us. They are extremely sensitive and the situation has not been helped during this spell of unusually hot weather. On a more positive note, I am happy to advise that we will be replacing all of the bedroom detectors within the next few weeks and the new ones are far more resiliant to false activation whilst still being extremely effective at recognising real danger.

I'm also sorry that you were disturbed by noise during your stay but can assure you that we do everything possible to try and minimise this. It is sometimes an unfortunate by-product of our great city centre location.

pattaya
Reviewed 1 August 2013

i only stayed for 1 night but found the hotel very nice. staff were very helpful and friendly. the hotel does not have a restaurant to speak of, but gave me an alternative to go to. only problem was at breakfast where there is a continental breakfast with a very limited selection of hot food, sausage, scrambled eggs and baked beans.
this should not really afect your decision to stay. so overall very good. i would definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for your review sootymilne

Glad you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful. The free breakfast is indeed a fairly limited selection, this is a standard that is common to all Holiday Inn Express hotels in the UK. I will however pass on your feedback at a corporate level as these type of things are constantly reviewed and monitored.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Regards