“Aberdeen Altens Thistle”

Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Peterlee, United Kingdom
“Aberdeen Altens Thistle”
Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights in March while attending a course in Aberdeen. I have to say that the facilities are great especially the spa and gym which I used on both nights and had no problems using any of the equipment and the spa area is kept really clean.
The reception area is welcoming and the bar restaurant has TVs in so the any sporting events can be viewed. The menu is what you would expect and is reasonably priced. While there I got 90 mins free wifi per day.
The rooms are comfortable, fresh and well appointed with all that you need, although the ice machine on the second floor did not work while I was there.
The staff were all in all very attentive and professional.
The location is not great for the town but I think that this hotel is catering for the business clientele who need to be on the south side of town and need to avoid Aberdeens notorious traffic problems.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who needs to be on the south side of town.

Stayed March 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear jdcarrkirkcaldy,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Aberdeen and for taking the time to provide your feedback. It's great to read you liked the facilities and would stay with us again. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments regarding the team as it is their hard work that makes the hotel what it is.

Hopefully we'll see you soon!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Polish first
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in March my husband and myself and from the minute we checked in until the time we left, nothing was too much trouble for them.
My husband uses the gym, spa etc and was very impressed. I was given free Internet access both nights. Bottled water was in the room and both mornings the room was cleaned to a very high standard.
Would stay there again. No complaints

Stayed March 2012
Dear Karenrr,

Thanks for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am pleased to read the team looked after you whilst you were with us and delighted to read you would recommend the hotel.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We were attending a surprise Birthday party and decided to get room service before we went down to the suite. Vegetarian pizza's were ordered and pepperoni arrived. For a vegetarian to recieve this was awful. We had already waited 30 minutes for the food and didnt have time to eat the new ones that were made. No napkins or cuttlery came, the fries that came with the club sandwich were cold. On this basis I would not stay at this hotel again. There is not the customer service skills to support mistakes.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Jetfox,

Thank you for the review and your feedback, I was extremely disappointed to read of the short comings in service you encountered during your stay with us.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to talk to you in person so that I can get to the bottom of what went wrong with your room service. I will message you directly with my contact details.

Hopefully we can restore your faith in the hotel!

Glasgow
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Stayed here for one night last week with a few colleagues up in Aberdeen for a course. What can I say about this place.....Mmmmm not a lot to be honest. The rooms are very dated and in dire need of complete refurbishment. Although you do get a hint of what you are getting from the outside appearance of the hotel. Reception area pleasant enough with a restaurant just off of it....by the looks of that...most people choose to venture into town. Although the Breakfast offering was good and staff pleasant enough.

The only things that I can say about the Bed was that it was flat, clean and really uncomfortable.

Shower was good in the dated bathroom.

And finally lost the will to live trying to order a round of drinks at the bar....gave my room number and the plastic room swipe card over as proof of who I was..."Nope..can't accept that as I need to see your check in card details".....but it's in the room...do I really need to go back to the room....Yes sir Hotel poicy you should be aware of.. I am now!

Would I stay here with my other half????...Not a chance! Most definately one for the business brigade and delivers everything they need...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Samoyed-Man
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Euston, and for highlighting the professionalism of the team at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Billy Hughes | General Manager
Inverness,Scotland
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed for the second time recently and again enjoyed our stay. We like the situation of this hotel, rather than a city centre one, as there is no hassle with parking the car.

The rooms are nice and spacious and spotlessly clean. We did not use any other facilities other than the bar for a couple of drinks.

On site, the hotel advertises "Tribute Nights" which would be something we would be very interested in going back for, but I am finding it very difficult to find any information online about these.

All in all we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Kars58,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for choosing to stay with us again. I was delighted to read you had a comfortable stay.

A list of upcoming events can be found on our Facebook page or if you prefer you can be added to our mailing list

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Paris, France
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I had the room 149, room for disabled, so the room was quite spacious as well as the bathroom. Everything in the bathroom is equiped for disabled.
The room is well furnished and clean. There is a large choice of channels on TV. Beds are in good condition and comfortable.
The restaurant is good, with a large choice of dishes. Waitresses are very kind and smiling. Prices are a bit expensive but food is a good quality one.
Breakfast is very good, with a large choice, english and continental.
Conference room was well equiped even electrical cable was running across the room (safety first!). The support given by the team is very good (explanations on emergency exits, hot coffe and water for the break, extension of electrical cable is required, etc...) we did not have to ask for the things, they were already there.
Only two points (minor) to notice: couple of electrical bulbs were not working in the room (but there were so much it did no matter) and they let someone entering the conference room during lunch time when it was supposed to be locked (computers, confidential documents, ...) without notification to the guy in charge.
It was a good stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Tougen64,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens, I was delighted to read you had a good stay with us.

I will pass on your feedback to the team, in particular the Meeting & Events team who will also review the two points you raised

Thanks for the feedback and I hope to see you again soon

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed here for one night in March 2012.

The hotel is handy for meetings in Altens and about ten minutes by car from the town centre.

When I arrived I was told that I would be on the 2nd floor and as the floor was being refurbished in stages there was no direct access by lift. It was a bit of a walk to get to the room.

The room itself was serviceable - nothing fancy but ok for a short stay on business.

I had dinner there and the food was good . I had to skip breakfast as the queue was a bit slow and I needed to head out to a meeting.

All in all the hotel was ok but it would not be a first choice in Aberdeen.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Hipfin
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear hipfin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us.

Our current phase of refurbishment has now ended, with another 56 bedrooms completely refurbished, I hope the work did not cause you too much inconvenience

We offer a range of rooms to suit all needs, should you choose to stay with us again I'd gladly offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our Executive Rooms which offer a bit more luxury. Contact me directly at the hotel and I'll make the arrangements for you