“Improve I say”

Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Accra, Ghana
“Improve I say”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The first six nights at Thistle wasn't really an experience to share with friends back home. I was in one of the rooms which I figured hadn't been touched by the millions of pounds investment. The hotel needs to work on hygiene. the toilet in my room wasnt being cleaned due to visible signs of gathering scale. The carpet wasn't being hoovered and my bed was not well made upon my return. Mini-bar was out of work.
Watch out for the blind corners on the corridors. Maybe some corridor mirrors would be helpful? Safety First.
Don't be frustrated with the first floor button in the lift, just give it a good bang.
The last two nights was in one of the improved rooms which preffered to the other on the 3rd floor. I had left the room to go for training and in my hurry must have left my nightie on the bed. This I totally forgot about until I was about to sleep, raised the duvet and there it was in a rumpled heap beneath the covers!!
Breakfast in the restaurant is always the same (at least for the days I spent there)

• Stayed May 2012
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Linda Q,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was really disappointed to read you left the hotel feeling dissatisfied and I would really appreciate an opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and would be grateful if you contact me directly at the hotel.

With your detailed feedback, we can turn your issues into positive actions!

I look forward to speaking with you in person

Operations Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel one night on our tour of Scotland. The room was very comfortable, the service was excellent, and the hotel facilities were well-maintained and tidy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Stui2012,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and received great service! I will be sure to share your comments with the team.
Hope we get see you again soon

Operations Manger
Alloa
Reviewed 24 May 2012

At the Thistle Hotel Altens last weekend and had a very enjoyable break ,made especially enjoyable due to friendly and helpful staff . FAB breakfasts .Go and enjoy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Duncan O
Dear Duncan O,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for taking the time to write a review. Myself and the team are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we hope we get to welcome you back soon

Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This hotel looks like a prison and is about as comfortable. the rooms are clean and the staff are friendly and obliging but that is where it ends. the double bed was the smallest size you can still call a double, the pillows are apparently filled with stones and we all (there were three of us attending a conference) woke up with sore ears. the hotel is the hottest i have ever been in and the air-conditioning has been disconnected as policy. The windows do open but there are tethers so the limit is about 6 inches. This hotel makes a living out of staff from oil services companies spending one night there on their way to or from platforms and basically they have no interest in the welfare of their customers. we had one evening meal there as we arrived too late to go out and it was dreadful and we had breakfast there the first morning and it was dreadful. Aberdeen is ful of hotels many of which are pretty good and all of which, i imagine, would be a better bet than this one. Make this the one you stay in when there is, literally, nowhere else.

Room Tip: make sure your rooms are not on the east or south sides if there is any sunshine.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John L
Thistlehotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear John L,

Thank you for staying at Thistle Altens and for sharing your feedback, I was pleased to read you found the rooms clean and the staff friendly. Obviously I was disappointed to read your other comments!

All our rooms have brand new beds, duvets and pillows and I can assure you they are the four star standard size for a double bed, we also provide super king size beds should you require something larger. Had you raised the issue with us at the time we could have assisted in making your bed more comfortable, we have a range of mattress toppers and pillows to ensure the beds meet all our guests requirements. As I'm sure you can appreciate not everyone likes the same firmness of mattress or pillow.

I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and would be grateful if you could contact me directly at the hotel.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The hotel has a big parking, that is good! The reception was friendly and efficient. We needed to to place a call to the Isle of Skye and the lady at the reception kindly called for us and made sure we had the proper information, that was very nice of her.
The hotel is sadly quite far from the city center and more in an industrial sector, not quite appealing for the tourists that we were.
and I have to say that the room was not so clean. The food we ordered was horrible, lumpy and cold. I never got my morning paper. Why bother offering???

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Jo90Montreal,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I would like the chance to discuss your points in more detail, if you could find the time to contact me it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we can turn your feedback into positive actions!

I look forward to speaking with you

Glasgow
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stay in this hotel regularly with work and at one point for a month excluding weekends.

The ground floor rooms have been completely refurbished to an excellent standard, they are a mixture of doubles and double, doubles with robes, slippers and reclining chairs.I think they are sold as deluxe and are more expensive. The upper floors are less expensive, but are kept to a high standard. The hotel in general is very clean and kept to a high standard.

The bar menu is ok, but quite expensive, so I normally eat out. There is a restaurant which I have ate in a few times, which again is quite expensive, but food is really good.

The pool and gym are both free when you are staying at the hotel which are clean and quite well equipped.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear wullyfog,

Thanks for the great review and for choosing to come back to Thistle Altens time and time again, I am delighted you find the hotel to be "great" and approve of our refurbished room. We have now completely refurbished over 156 rooms and spent over £4.5 million on various projects so it's rewarding to know our regular guests like the changes we've made.

I will pass on your comment to the team and I hope we get to see you in the hotel again soon

Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

Large rooms but large contingent of oil + gas workers on strict nightly budget made hotel treat all guests the same. Overall fine though.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear from_hants,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it's good to read you found the hotel to be fine.

We offer a range of rooms and facilities to suit any budget and the team go out of their way to meet the needs of our individual guests, as previous reviews show the hotel is highly regarded by families and couples on leisure breaks, as well as the oil and gas industry.

I hope we get to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future