“A very pleasant hotel”

Alicante, Spain
“A very pleasant hotel”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed for two nights.

Reception and check-in - Very pleasant and a pleasure checking in. Reception staff are very helpful.

Room - The hotel has obviously been done up since my previous stay. I was most impressed. The rooms are very comfortable. The lighting in the rooms is very impressive. A good nights sleep.

Dining room and staff - Its possible to eat in the bar and dining room. I had breakfast in the dining room and dinner in the bar. The food was excellent and bar staff great. I noticed the manager having breakfast every morning. I was a little nervous for the staff when he arrived. But I am sure he knows that his staff are excellent and any points he did pick up on were very minor.

Local Area - In Altens and a bit out of the way. Got charged £20 for a taxi from the rail station.

Overall - A very pleasant hotel, with very pleasant staff. A bit expensive, but when your company is paying it's not a problem ;-)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Stwblar,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for sharing your experience, it's great to hear you had a pleasant stay.

We have recently invested over £4.5 million on various refurbishment projects so its fantastic to hear you approve of the changes we've made.

I will to pass on your kind comments to the team and I look forward to seeing you again in the future

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Polish first
Macduff, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed here for 1 night was great it is clear to see the hotel has had an upgrade nice clean and modern rooms also finished to high standard with a dark oak style will defo be going back here maybe next time for a couple of nights would recommend it also for the spa and pool we never had time to use any of them but looked really good also the breakfast was really good the staff were helpful also end result would be 10/10

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathon M
Dear Jonathon M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed at Aberdeen Thistle and really can't fault the hotel. All I have to say is that you should never judge a book by it's cover and same applies to this hotel.

The inside of the hotel is really spotless and modern. The staff were very helpful and had a meal on the first night that was very tasty.

Finally, my husband left behind a charger to which the hotel staff were prompt to find and send out straight away without any additional cost. We were very grateful for such prompt and courteous service.

Highly recommend this hotel to anyone whether it's business or pleasure!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear alisonlms,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for sharing your experience. I was so pleased to read you enjoyed stay and the team looked after you, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to them.

I hope we get to welcome you back again soon

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed here for a week whilst attending a safety course (Nebosh at Petrofac).
Theoretically 4 star so I was a little surprised at the atitude of the staff to the guests. One example was when I checked in they asked me if I would like a paper,so I ordered one, The second evening I was sat in the room studying (hard course this one) and received a phone call saying I had to come to the reception and settle an outstanding account. Somewhat bemused I asked what it was for I was told that "it was probably due to me booking excess alcohol to my room"? (The only thing I drank was Ginger beer). So I trotted down to the reception to be told I owed for two days papers! I pointed out that I was there for a week but the receptionist told me "people usually pay for them daily".
At this point I was tempted to move hotels straight away but as I was unfamiliar with the area I resigned myself to staying. The next was the food, as a rule if you stick to the Chef's reccommendations you don't go far wrong not here, the food was terrible in the bar and only marginally better in the restaurant. even then in the restaurant it declined in standard over the week, to the state that they were bringing me meals I didn't order, and I was eating them just happy they'd remembered me. Breakfasts... turn up early or resign yourself to a long queue. Finally on checkout they said I had an outstanding item on the account when I queried it they said it was from the restaurant and then looking at his screen just said, "oh no ...it's ok..."
I will avoid this hotel like the plague in future...

Room Tip: apparently the rooms on the ground floor have recently been refurbished (they put me on the 3rd floo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank terry p
, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear terry p,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I was disappointed to read you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

I would like the chance to discuss your issues in more detail, if you could contact me directly at the hotel it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we can turn your feedback into positive actions and restore your faith in the hotel.

Meridian, Mississippi
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This is a good hotel. The rooms are very nice and the service is really good. They have a nice restaraunt and a bar. The food is good. The pool and spa is very nice and relaxing. The only thing about this place is that there is nothing around.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear titanman24,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Thistle Altens, I was delighted to read you approved of the rooms and service. I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

I hope the next time you're in Aberdeen you choose to stay with us again

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The Thistle is grim to look at from the outside, there is no doubt about it, but once inside the door it is a lovely hotel. Nice recption, helpful staff, nice rooms with large beds. Not sure about the 'energy efficient' LED lights in the rooms, especially the bathroom, makes it very difficult to get a true picture of your make-up!

This hotel has a ot of oil workers ,naturally as it is bang beside all the oil companies in Aberdeen, but that doesnt make it noisy. There isnt much of a scene out the window,again as it is based in an industrial estate area, but is on a bus route into town. Loads of parking. Rooms always refreshed/stocked well.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Stickybun1,

Thank you choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for writing a review, I was really pleased to see you found the hotel to be nice and the staff helpful. We are trialling a range of LED bulbs in an attempt to reduce our carbon footprint so thank you for giving us your feedback, we will look at changing these.

The hotel does service the Altens Industrial Estate but just a short 10 minute walk and you reach Cove Bay Harbour and the coastal path which has stunning cliffs overlooking the North Sea.

I hope we get to welcome you back soon!

Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The first six nights at Thistle wasn't really an experience to share with friends back home. I was in one of the rooms which I figured hadn't been touched by the millions of pounds investment. The hotel needs to work on hygiene. the toilet in my room wasnt being cleaned due to visible signs of gathering scale. The carpet wasn't being hoovered and my bed was not well made upon my return. Mini-bar was out of work.
Watch out for the blind corners on the corridors. Maybe some corridor mirrors would be helpful? Safety First.
Don't be frustrated with the first floor button in the lift, just give it a good bang.
The last two nights was in one of the improved rooms which preffered to the other on the 3rd floor. I had left the room to go for training and in my hurry must have left my nightie on the bed. This I totally forgot about until I was about to sleep, raised the duvet and there it was in a rumpled heap beneath the covers!!
Breakfast in the restaurant is always the same (at least for the days I spent there)

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Linda Q,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was really disappointed to read you left the hotel feeling dissatisfied and I would really appreciate an opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail and would be grateful if you contact me directly at the hotel.

With your detailed feedback, we can turn your issues into positive actions!

I look forward to speaking with you in person