“hidden gem”

Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Edinburgh
“hidden gem”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We booked this hotel a few days prior to travelling,We got a special deal and it only cost £39.00 for a Saturday night , it was one of the best hotels we have stayed in.
We were given a free upgrade to a Duluxe bedroom which was first class, the Hotel is roughly 3 miles from Aberdeen city centre but to be honest it would be worthwhile paying the £10.00 taxi fare to the city as you will not find a better hotel in town for the rates they charge
Next time I am in Aberdeen I will have no hesitation in booking this hotel

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Danermag
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Danermag,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Aberdeen Altens and for the kind review. I was delighted to read you found the hotel to be one of the best you have stayed in.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you back soon

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Polish first
Murwillumbah, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Our stay at this hotel was very satisfactory except the elevators were not working when we got there and it took an hour or more for our bags to be taken to our room. The breakfast menu was very good. The dinner offerings were adequate for a tour group.
The outside of the hotel could do with a tough up though and there is nothing but industrial buildings around the hotel. The stay however was quiet and resting.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Phil Campbell,

Thank you taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent visit, I was pleased to read you found the hotel to be very satisfactory and your stay with us was quiet and resting.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by the lifts, this was a temporary problem that has now been resolved

If you visit Aberdeen in the future, I hope you will think of us

Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, great staff, great rooms, absolutely first class facilities (gym, pool, spa etc)

Three negatives of the hotel in my view

1. Location, it is in an out of town location so having to use expensive buses/taxis

2. TV has a reasonable selection of channels but the picture quality is very poor

3. The major failing of the hotel is the food! The food is generally horrible and of very poor quality, there is a burger king across the road with better quality food (no joke!)

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank JaimeAnderson
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Dear JaimeAnderson,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and provide your feedback. I was pleased to read you approve of the changes we have made with our refurbishment programme and found the staff and rooms to be great.

The hotel is out of the city centre with a taxi costing just over £10 and local buses offering an all-day unlimited pass for £4.20.

We have a new Head Chef, David Proctor who has just joined the hotel and I have discussed your feedback with him.

I hope we get to welcome you back soon

Nottingham UK
Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

I only stayed for 1 night but the service on check in and out was excellent. A good selection of food at breakfast. Rooms a good size and clean. Wi Fi is not free. Hotel is about 3 miles from Aberdeen centre and a taxi wil cost around £10 if you need to use one.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Athens0711,

Thank you choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor, it's great to hear you had a good stay with us.

Myself and the team hope we get to see you again soon

Norwich
Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

Having read some of the reviews prior to arriving here I wasn't sure what to expect. I can happily report that I personally think this is a very nice place to stay. I think some of the previous reviewers may have confused all inclusive places they have stayed in before with a good quality 4* hotel. I often people watch in hotels and often wonder if some of the guests standards are as high in their own homes or if they are just over enjoying the hospitality that is being extended to them when in a hotel.

When I arrived at reception a very polite gentleman checked me in. This was all done very efficiently and I was in my room in 5 minutes. He also gave me information about dinner and the cut off times for bar meals etc.

My room although not the largest I have ever stayed in is immaculately clean and nothing is out of place. There is plenty of cupboard space, all the usual amenities and a comfy bed. The corridors and communal areas were also clean and tidy.

The bar is run very efficiently and the food I ordered arrived quickly and exactly as I had asked. The bar menu is quite comprehensive and my meal tonight was superb. The bar staff are very attentive without being over bearing which is something that can be a problem.

If I had one complaint it would be that the isn't complimentary wifi which in this day and age is almost standard in other hotels.

I will definitely book in here next time I am staying over this side of town. Don't change a thing.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Taylor6971
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Taylor6971,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback. I was delighted to read you had a relaxing stay and the team took good care of you, I will make sure I share you feedback with them.

We do provide complimentary wifi, this is available via our loyalty scheme Signature which also offers a range of other benefits and rewards

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed for two nights.

Reception and check-in - Very pleasant and a pleasure checking in. Reception staff are very helpful.

Room - The hotel has obviously been done up since my previous stay. I was most impressed. The rooms are very comfortable. The lighting in the rooms is very impressive. A good nights sleep.

Dining room and staff - Its possible to eat in the bar and dining room. I had breakfast in the dining room and dinner in the bar. The food was excellent and bar staff great. I noticed the manager having breakfast every morning. I was a little nervous for the staff when he arrived. But I am sure he knows that his staff are excellent and any points he did pick up on were very minor.

Local Area - In Altens and a bit out of the way. Got charged £20 for a taxi from the rail station.

Overall - A very pleasant hotel, with very pleasant staff. A bit expensive, but when your company is paying it's not a problem ;-)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Stwblar,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for sharing your experience, it's great to hear you had a pleasant stay.

We have recently invested over £4.5 million on various refurbishment projects so its fantastic to hear you approve of the changes we've made.

I will to pass on your kind comments to the team and I look forward to seeing you again in the future

Macduff, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed here for 1 night was great it is clear to see the hotel has had an upgrade nice clean and modern rooms also finished to high standard with a dark oak style will defo be going back here maybe next time for a couple of nights would recommend it also for the spa and pool we never had time to use any of them but looked really good also the breakfast was really good the staff were helpful also end result would be 10/10

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathon M
Dear Jonathon M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon