“Another brilliant stay!”

Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Another brilliant stay!”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Myself, my husband and our 2 children stayed at this hotel for one night. We were told upon checking in that we had been given a free upgrade to an executive room which was great. The room was clean and very spacious and a bonus being on the ground floor.

We used the leisure facilities. We went to use them at about 4pm on the day of arrival and was told that it was at full capacity and would we mind coming back later, which we didn't. We went back about 6pm and stayed for over an hour. It was practically empty. The children had a great time.

The breakfast was lovely, we were seated straight away and the food was excellent quality.

We have stayed at this hotel many times now and always find it to be an excellent hotel with friendly staff and the breakfast is always lovely.

We'll definately stay again and would recommend the hotel to anyone. It doesn't look like much from the outside (a drab, grey building) but inside more than makes it up for it.

Room Tip: We were going to pay extra for an upgrade but on a couple of occasions (this time included) we have...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thistlehotels, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Dear emmareid12,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again, I'm delighted to read you had another brilliant stay! I will be sure to share your feedback with the team

We all look forward to seeing you again soon!

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

stayed there for 5 days whilst on a course,total rip off!!the food was unedible and the attitude of the staff was particularily bad..i waited 45 minutes most nights along with others in the restaurant and when it came it was BAD!!the only thing stopping me giving this a terrible review is the houusekeeping in my room was good.

Room Tip: rooms on second floor are paper thin!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank kell j
Dear kell j,

Thank you for your honest review, naturally I'm very concerned by the points you raised. I would greatly appreciate the chance to discuss your stay in more detail and hopefully turn your feedback into positive actions. If you could find the time to contact me at the hotel it would be appreciated.

I look forward to speaking with you soon and restoring your faith in us

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stay in this hotel when visiting family a couple of times a year, we have tried a couple of hotels in and around Aberdeen but now this is our first choice.

As mentioned before the prices for food and drink are quite expensive, last time we stayed here the harvester down the road had started to do breakfast which worked out much cheaper.

People have mentioned that it is out of the way but to be honest it isn't that far from the city centre and if it was closer you would be paying a lot more!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear mrsjake,

Thank you for choosing to return to Thistle Altens, I'm delighted to read you had "another brilliant stay" and we have become your hotel of choice in Aberdeen.

Hopefully we'll see you again soon!

Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We (two sisters and mother with me) were staying overnight on a Friday for a family party in Aberdeen and having driven from Glasgow, this seemed an appropriate location for us since we didn't have to go straight into the city and had plenty of parking.

We got an amazing deal for Double Double rooms and since it was a Friday night, although we'd booked the unrefurbished rooms we were upgraded to Executive rooms (which was ideal since we were travelling with a pregnant sister!). Nice big flat screen tv, two double beds in each room, comfortable, tasteful and modern furnishing and decor. Bottled water in the room (always a bonus) and wifi (although not free - BT Openzone though so if you have T-Mobile it's free!). Nice big dressing room separate from the bathroom and the room (great for hair drying and straightening - as well as general preening!!).

Although we had limited interaction with the hotel as a whole (since our stay was literally overnight), the staff were very friendly and efficient and the rooms very nice. Mum also used the pool (early on Saturday morning) and said it was very nice - although was surprised how busy it was (too many serious swimmers for her liking!).

A few negative points - sound proofing seems to be non-existent between floors (could hear everything when they moved around upstairs) and also between the bathroom and bedroom (which was really annoying on a Saturday morning when mother-hen got up early)! Also, I imagine these nice new Executive rooms are being used somewhat more than the older rooms since they give a better impression of the hotel - but there were a few scuffs, marks and (notably) staining on the throws/pillows on the beds (that's never a nice thing!).

Finally, the room was massive with plenty of room (and obviously two double beds) which was great, and the separate dressing room was fantastic. However all of that meant that the bathroom was TINY (and totally out of proportion with the overall room). That's something I would look at if I was the hotel - there was almost not enough room to close the door in front of the toilet (almost). In terms of the bathroom it was all nice modern decor, but why do hotels insist on having straight shower curtains (so cheap and tacky - and gather dirt/mould so easily).

All in all, a great hotel - my negatives would not stop me staying here again, but I wouldn't pay top dollar. And so very reasonable. If you're going at the weekend, book a cheaper room, since chances are you'll be upgraded (although by way of disclaimer, I obviously cannot guarantee that!!!). True, the area is industrial, but it's well located for getting in and out of Aberdeen, which is a 5-10 minute drive (in traffic) and there is plenty of parking. Hotel does look from the outside like a prison block - but don't judge a book by it's cover!!!

I would definitely stay here again if I was driving to Aberdeen from the south.

Room Tip: If you're willing to take the chance while the refurbishment is underway, book a cheaper room at...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear La_Clara,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I have noted all your comments to discuss with the team.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

Was a bit skeptical about this hotel due to its location in an industrial estate and it's pretty dated exterior, however it is lovely on the inside. The bedroom was clean and comfortable and the first night I stayed one of the bathroom lights was flickering. I made a mental note to ask for it to be fixed but due to my sieve-like memory I forgot. Needn't have worried though, it was fixed by the time I returned from work the next day.

The food in the restaurant was excellent if a little pricey and the breakfast buffet was also delicious with plenty of choices.

I am just disappointed I didn't do my research before hand and take my gym kit with me, so unfortunately I can't pass comment on the leisure facilities.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear ScottishB,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens, I'm delighted to hear we exceeded your expectations of the hotel and appreciate you sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I hope we will see you again soon!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a few weeks on business, the hotel is very well situated for those working in Altens. It is quite far out from city centre if you are visiting for leisure purposes.

The rooms are very luxurious and spacious, especially if you are fortunate enough to get an upgrade to a suite.

The exterior of the hotel isnt very pleasant on the eye and the pool etc are tired and in.need of an up grade.

Hotel food ok, and nice policy where ladies travelling alone do not need to pay for room service.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear jade C,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for sharing your feedback. It's great to hear you found the rooms to be luxurious and spacious

I hope we get to welcome you back to the hotel next time you are on business in the area

Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Stayed here for a wedding recently and we were upgraded on arrival, the room was spotless and the new decor lovely (only tiny downside to the bathroom is that the bulbs are very dim for a start and the bathroom is slightly dark - but this I guess its energy saving bulbs so cant have everything!) great powerful shower. Ate in the resturant and the food was very tasty. Used the pool/spa and this was also clean and comfortable. All staff we met during our stay were cheerful, helpful and efficient - to be honest I cannot remember staying in a better Aberdeen hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank e30elaine
Dear e30elaine,

Thank you for the great review, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

I was thrilled to read you had a great stay and I will make sure the team read your kind comments. I've noted your point about the light bulbs and we're in the process of upgrading them, so thanks for raising this!

We hope you'll think of us next time your visiting Aberdeen