The Aberdeen Altens Hotel
Jurys Inn(Aberdeen)
Bauhaus Hotel(Aberdeen)
  • Breakfast included
1,847 results
All reviewscity centreleisure facilitiesan industrial estateswimming poolsteam roomthistle hoteltwo double bedslovely hotelleisure clubshort breakgood sizelovely rooman upgradeexcellent value for moneypleasant stayexcellent staywould stay again
Reviewed 23 September 2012

great hotel--we stay here at least 8 times a year-would not go anywhere else--yes we looked at others but always end here--only bad thing i would sday is bar prices lol--staff asll very friendly rooms all clean

Room Tip: just ask the staff
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thistlehotels, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear jim Liz r,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for coming back to us so many times! It's great to read you find the hotel "brilliant" and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with others on tripadvisor.

I hope we get to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed here having booked through a last minute site and paid only £82 for a room sleeping my wife and I and our two boys 4 and 2.
The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but inside there is clear evidence of the £4m refurb it has undertaken. The foyer is very plush with a mini grand piano on display and very new and shiny. The main restaurant is a fine dining number and looks fantastic.
The room we had (a quad deluxe) was superb. Two queen sized beds and two reclining leather single seat armchairs and a lovely bathroom and changing area.
The main draw for us was the Leisure facilities. We used the pool which was great as it had a mini pool for the kids and hot tub for adults aswell as steam room and sauna.

The biggest drawback was the food. We ate in the bar and the kids had a classic lasagne which had no mince in it but was filled with broccoli and carrots. It was obviously a vegetarian option but nobody told us and it tasted terrible. The kids never ate it nor would we. We had Singapore noodles which were at best, bland and tasteless. For breakfast we had the hot buffet (kids ate for free and enjoyed cereal and fruit). Unfortunately everything apart from the sausages were cold and the replacements no better.

We also asked for milk for our room almost 2 hours before we checked out and were still parched as we left.

Altogether a cracking hotel which would be well worthy of its 4 stars had it not been so badly let down by woeful food and less than great service. It is a work in progress and I'm sure will be excellent when fully up to speed. Not quite there yet though.

Dear Bigrossi75,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's great to hear you found the hotel to be "cracking" but obviously I was concerned to read about the issues you had surrounding your meals. We have recently recruited a new Head Chef, David Proctor and I have already shared your review with him and thanks to your feedback we can make positive actions to improve!

I hope next time you are in Aberdeen we get the chance to welcome you and your family back to the hotel.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

This hotel is shocking!
The prices are ridiculous! How this hotel gets away with it is amazing! The food is crap! Yet they feel they can charge City Centre prices!
The rooms are crap! Very dated! Where does the profits go?

1  Thank sean_marti

Dear sean_marti,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was most concerned to read you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied. I would really like to discuss your stay in person and get some
detailed feedback from you. If you could find the time to contact me at the hotel it would be most appreciated.

To answer your question about where the profits go, we've recently spent over £4 million refurbishing various part of the hotel and I think this is highlights how committed we are to looking after our valued guests.

I look forward to speaking to you in soon and hopefully restoring your faith in the hotel

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We've just had a fabulous weekend at this hotel, we booked it for my parents anniversary so was a little bit nervous whether it everything was going to be good. This is the 1st hotel that I've stayed in that I have been over the moon with! The staff were great(apart from the miserable guy on the pool counter!) so helpful and friendly, beautiful inside, don't be put off by it sitting next to the industrial estate. We got a bargain on booking.com half price, no breakfast but we ended up getting the breakfast because it was only £7 odd for anything on offer, and believe me there's something for everyone, even hot porridge! Lovely bedrooms, modern, extremely clean, absolutely everything you need, even toothbrush and toothpaste, really impressed with all the little extras. We were very impressed that we could request a later check out, up to 2 pm ( normally 12 ) with no extra charge! All in all, fantastic hotel, have already recommended, and we will definitely be going back, hopefully for 2 nights next time :-)

1  Thank 5desys

Dear 5desys,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Altens to celebrate your parents anniversary and for the great review! It's fantastic to hear we're the first hotel you've stayed in that you've been "over the moon with". I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future

Reviewed 16 September 2012

we had a great weekend stayed for 2 nights great staff on arrival seats to keep the kids happy for a 5 minutes and after checking into the room we were really impressed with the size of the room and the cleanliness of the room athough its about a 5 minutes drive from union square its well worth that for a 5 star hotel like this. if your not going to this hotel and say it were the doubletree you would easily spend 5 minutes in traffic. due to us being a last minute booking we had to change rooms after the first night this was no hindranse to us atall as the staff did the swap over for us when we were in town i really could not fault the staff at this hotel they really were great. My kids had a great time using the pool and the facilities on our first night we did not arrive until after 6pm but the pool dosent shut until 10pm which was great. we will definataly be back before christmas and will be recommeding to friends. ALSO for all you tele addicts the thisle altens can boast 32 inch flat screen tvs something that its closest rival cannot ! :P

Room Tip: great weekend
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rosalind s
Thistlehotels, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear rosalind s,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us, I am delighted to hear you found the hotel to be 1st class and it was our pleasure looking after you and your family. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team!

We all looking forward to welcoming you and your family back soon