“Fine, but not with your children!”

The Aberdeen Altens Hotel
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Booked one night, inclusive rate for dinner bed and breakfast, for myself husband and 14 year old. Seemed like a good deal. first impressions were good. Nice reception, pleasant staff. Room upgrade to executive double, with 2 double beds, very welcome. Nice pool, although small, warm, with clean changing rooms. Went for dinner at 7.30 to be told our 14 year old could not eat in the dining room! No licence for children past 8! We were told we had to use room service. We had not been told this on check in, and had arranged to meet others for dinner, so refused. We were then allowed to eat in the dining room, and watched at least two other families being turned away. The food then took over an hour to be served, and when I questioned this, was told the kitchen was backed up because of room service! Food when it came was nice, of small portions. Overall, a disappointing experience in what is otherwise a nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Thistlehotels, General Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Trish2765,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for sharing your feedback, I'm pleased to hear you were happy with the hotel facilities and the team but obviously disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered with your meal. Our operating license does not permit children in the bar or restaurant after 8pm and we are legally bound by this however we are working to get this changed in the near future. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this caused you and your family.

I hope this does not deter you from staying with us again and I hope we get to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 19 October 2012

Offensive Prices, Dated Rooms, Terrible Food. Very disappointing. Stayed here 2 weeks because the company booked it. Had to send numerous orders back as they were not even close to being correct. One faucet for hot water, one for cold water makes it hard to wash your face. Prices aren't even close to reality, prepare to be massively over charged for terrible food. Thank God for Burger King across the road.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brody S

Dear Brody S,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I was sorry to read the hotel failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail, if you can find the time to contact me at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully we will get the chance to restore your faith in the hotel

Reviewed 24 September 2012

stayed here a couple of times before, big and busy hotel but it was looking its age. staff as always were helpful and pleasant but the surprise was the fantastic newly upgraded room. it was great after a long drive and hard day to have a nice room and comfy bed (and recliner). good breakfast, definitely best hotel i have stayed in when up in Aberdeen. highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank berwicka73
Thistlehotels, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear berwicka73,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Thistle Altens. We have invested a great deal of time and money in the property, so it's really rewarding to hear you approve of the transformation and I'm delighted to read we're the best hotel you've stayed in, in Aberdeen.

I hope the next time you are in the area we will get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel!

Reviewed 23 September 2012

great hotel--we stay here at least 8 times a year-would not go anywhere else--yes we looked at others but always end here--only bad thing i would sday is bar prices lol--staff asll very friendly rooms all clean

Room Tip: just ask the staff
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear jim Liz r,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Altens and for coming back to us so many times! It's great to read you find the hotel "brilliant" and we really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with others on tripadvisor.

I hope we get to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed here having booked through a last minute site and paid only £82 for a room sleeping my wife and I and our two boys 4 and 2.
The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but inside there is clear evidence of the £4m refurb it has undertaken. The foyer is very plush with a mini grand piano on display and very new and shiny. The main restaurant is a fine dining number and looks fantastic.
The room we had (a quad deluxe) was superb. Two queen sized beds and two reclining leather single seat armchairs and a lovely bathroom and changing area.
The main draw for us was the Leisure facilities. We used the pool which was great as it had a mini pool for the kids and hot tub for adults aswell as steam room and sauna.

The biggest drawback was the food. We ate in the bar and the kids had a classic lasagne which had no mince in it but was filled with broccoli and carrots. It was obviously a vegetarian option but nobody told us and it tasted terrible. The kids never ate it nor would we. We had Singapore noodles which were at best, bland and tasteless. For breakfast we had the hot buffet (kids ate for free and enjoyed cereal and fruit). Unfortunately everything apart from the sausages were cold and the replacements no better.

We also asked for milk for our room almost 2 hours before we checked out and were still parched as we left.

Altogether a cracking hotel which would be well worthy of its 4 stars had it not been so badly let down by woeful food and less than great service. It is a work in progress and I'm sure will be excellent when fully up to speed. Not quite there yet though.

Dear Bigrossi75,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's great to hear you found the hotel to be "cracking" but obviously I was concerned to read about the issues you had surrounding your meals. We have recently recruited a new Head Chef, David Proctor and I have already shared your review with him and thanks to your feedback we can make positive actions to improve!

I hope next time you are in Aberdeen we get the chance to welcome you and your family back to the hotel.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

This hotel is shocking!
The prices are ridiculous! How this hotel gets away with it is amazing! The food is crap! Yet they feel they can charge City Centre prices!
The rooms are crap! Very dated! Where does the profits go?

1  Thank sean_marti

Dear sean_marti,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was most concerned to read you left the hotel feeling less than satisfied. I would really like to discuss your stay in person and get some
detailed feedback from you. If you could find the time to contact me at the hotel it would be most appreciated.

To answer your question about where the profits go, we've recently spent over £4 million refurbishing various part of the hotel and I think this is highlights how committed we are to looking after our valued guests.

I look forward to speaking to you in soon and hopefully restoring your faith in the hotel

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We've just had a fabulous weekend at this hotel, we booked it for my parents anniversary so was a little bit nervous whether it everything was going to be good. This is the 1st hotel that I've stayed in that I have been over the moon with! The staff were great(apart from the miserable guy on the pool counter!) so helpful and friendly, beautiful inside, don't be put off by it sitting next to the industrial estate. We got a bargain on booking.com half price, no breakfast but we ended up getting the breakfast because it was only £7 odd for anything on offer, and believe me there's something for everyone, even hot porridge! Lovely bedrooms, modern, extremely clean, absolutely everything you need, even toothbrush and toothpaste, really impressed with all the little extras. We were very impressed that we could request a later check out, up to 2 pm ( normally 12 ) with no extra charge! All in all, fantastic hotel, have already recommended, and we will definitely be going back, hopefully for 2 nights next time :-)

1  Thank 5desys

Dear 5desys,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Altens to celebrate your parents anniversary and for the great review! It's fantastic to hear we're the first hotel you've stayed in that you've been "over the moon with". I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future