“very friendly staff”

The Aberdeen Altens Hotel
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed at the Altens on the 29th June,on the outside it is an ugly building but once inside you forget all about that. The staff are very friendly and we were upgraded at reception and the girls at the bar were fab as well. The rooms are spotlessly clean and spacious. The food is fabulous, we all ordered different dishes and everyone of us enjoyed. Would definitely recommend to all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
KrisManship, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear jack870,

Thank you very much indeed for your great review! I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we really appreciate your recommendation.

I will share your kind comments with the team.

We all hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Aberdeen Altens Hotel

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I haven't stayed in this neck of the woods for some years, but stayed a night for a work visit. The hotel isn't much to look at from the outside, very block-like, uninviting and showing its age. Inside it's a bit better, although rather old-fashioned in its decor etc. The room I had was o.k. - nothing special to write home about - an o.k. size, if on the small side for what it cost, with furniture that was looking tired and 'brown' - you know that sort of dark-looking, dated style of table/chairs etc. The bed was reasonably comfy. Bathroom was o.k. with a reasonable selection of amenities. Coffee/tea (and shortbread biscuits!) were available in the room, along with a good range of books and information on Aberdeen and the surrounding region. Overall, while a bit tired-looking I have to say that the room was clean and reasonably comfortable, which I guess is what you are looking for as a minimum.

The bar/restaurant area was o.k. but the meal I had disappointing. I was hoping for a selection that included good 'scottish fare' - cheesy I know, but it was what I was hoping for given that I'd not been to Scotland for a while. However, what was on the dinner menu wasn't very inspiring, so much so that I went for the beef rendang! The food itself was somewhat disappointing - the portion small - certainly when it was being knocked out for £15.50 - and while the beef was tender, some of the cuts were less than appetising. I don't often leave food, but had to leave some of this. Overall, not a great experience and expensive for only a small main meal and a beer.

On the flip side breakfast was excellent (albeit I was surprised on check out to find that it came at a significant add-on to my already heady room rate). A great range of cold and hot food - while a little pricey, don't miss it as it will set you up for the day.

Check in/out was fine and, on the whole, all of the staff were very friendly and efficient. Indeed, the staff were this hotel's saving grace.

Overall, a 1-night stay at the Thistle in Altens was somewhat pricey for what is a relatively average, tired hotel. I guess I'd stay again if I had to be in the Altens area, but wouldn't exactly be hurrying to re-book it in my diary.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear RichardP46,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. It's good to hear you would stay with us again but I am disappointed we did not manage to "wow" you on this occasion! We'll try harder next time!

We have spent over £4.5 million to date refurbishing the hotel. We have completely refurbished 155 bedrooms and work on the remaining 61 rooms is scheduled to commence at the end of the year. If you stay with us again please drop me an email as I would love for you to sample one of these refurbished bedrooms. My email is kris.manship@thistle.co.uk

It's great to read you enjoyed the breakfast and found the team friendly and efficient, I will pass on your kind comments.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon and improve your perception of the hotel!

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Big rooms (I stay here often through work), good gym and pool, decent restaurant area, good bar area, poor menu...I mean really poor! Chicago Town pizzas??? are you kidding??? Hit and miss food and very expensive drinks. I don't enjoy staying here for more than one night

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear lunchcritic1

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. It's good to hear generally you enjoyed your stay but I was obviously disappointed to hear the menu isn't to your liking.
The Chicago Town pizzas are our 3rd biggest seller which is why they have remained on the menu.

We do also offer a separate TDH menu which changes weekly, or the team will gladly make anything you request, just ask.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back soon and hopefully restore your faith in our menus!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Hotel doesn't look much from the outside but looks are decieving in this case. Hotel, staff & rooms are excellent - worth going just for the excellent breakfast in the Brasserie. The food in the restaurant is also excellent but this room has less ambiance and it is a mistake having it open-plan with the foyer especially if there is a prom on or similar -can be noisy. Leisure facilities are also excellent - only bugbear is being told that under 12s can't use the sauna & steam room whereas all the signage says no under 8s - confuses the kids and should be made less ambigous. Will be back in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jonhh324

Dear Jonhh324,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Hotel Aberdeen Altens and for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you an enjoyable stay and I appreciate the constructive feedback you have supplied. Your points have been shared with the team and we will use them to further improve!

It's great to hear you will be returning in the future! Myself and the team look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

16 of us came to Aberdeen for a 2 night hen weekend and stayed at the Thistle Aberdeen Altens. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, staff very helpful, rooms a really good sze and clean, breakfast was massive !!! The staff went out of their way to make our stay very stress free and enjoyable, easy to get a taxi into town. We loved the tribute night on the saturday, cheesy "Take That", just our scene!! Hope to be back in the Granite City,and would definitely stay here again. Excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
KrisManship, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Hazel M,

Thank you for choosing Thistle Altens for your hen weekend, I'm delighted to hear you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us and the team took good care of you

I hope we get to see you again soon, keep an eye out for our upcoming tribute nights!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Hotel is exceptionally clean and tidy. The staff can’t do enough for you, always available to assist. I would like to express my deepest thanks and gratitude to Laura, who works in reception. She was extremely professional and kind with an enormous personality which shows the Thistle Hotel off in its best light. Her attention to detail sets her apart from her counterparts. Nothing appears to be too much trouble and she is always willing to give that little bit extra to ensure the job is completed without compromise. Anyone thinking of spending time in this hotel regardless of business or pleasure wont regret it, thank you for making my stay so nice. I give you all A ++++++++++++

Thanking you all very kindly

Mr S M Lanzon

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr Lanzon,

Thank you for such a nice review! I am very proud indeed of the team we have at Thistle Altens so it is great when they get recognised by our valued guests. Your feedback was spotted by our CEO who personally thanked Laura for the excellent service she provides. We are very lucky to have her as part of our team!

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 12 June 2013

I've been in similar hotels before in Aberdeen that were ok, but I stayed in this hotel for 8 weeks and could not find a fault anywhere. All the staff are extremely friendly, polite and professional, from the girls in reception to the restaurant/bar staff - always making you feel welcome. The room quality/cleanliness was done to a high standard and the facilities were excellent. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is wanting a pleasant stay in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Dear Matthew H,

Thank you very much indeed for such a great review! I am delighted to read you enjoyed your 8 week stay with us and could not find fault anywhere, we really couldn't ask for better feedback than that! Your kind comments about the team will be greatly appreciated when I share your review with them.

We all hope you will choose Thistle Altens the next time you are in Aberdeen.