“sons wedding”

Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
insch
“sons wedding”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Both our sons have had their wedding receptions at the Thistle Hotel Altens,9 years apart. Our second sons wedding last Saturday was a memorable day, the staff were all amazing special thanks to Leanne the events manager also thanks to Russell Pat and all the staff, they really cant do enough for you.Would highly recommend this hotel for a wedding as I have said been here for both our sons wedding think that's says it all.
Linda hird

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KrisManship, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Dear linda h,

Thank you so much for the great endorsement! We really are privileged to have been able to host both your son's weddings! I will be sure to share your kind comments with the team, in particular Leigh-Anne, Russell and Pat who did such a good job taking care of you and your family.

I hope we get to see you back in the hotel soon!

Thank

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Polish first
Buckie
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed here last night as it was the cheapest rate I could find in Aberdeen for Bed and Breakfast. I was a bit concerned the hotel wouldn't be up to much with the rate being so cheap but I couldn't have been more wrong. Check-in was smooth and we were told we were getting a room upgrade. The receptionist was really pleasant and explained everything the hotel had to offer. The room did not disappoint. Our upgrade meant we got double beds instead of singles and bathrobes, water AND free wifi which is a policy in the hotel. The room was lovely and everything was spotless. We used the pool and spa facilities twice and couldn't fault those either. The Buffet Breakfast was delicious. I stayed in a posh Hilton in London a few weeks ago costing maybe 4 times as much and it honestly wasn't as nice as this hotel. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so nice - I just wish we could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LouLouBuckie
KrisManship, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear LouLouBuckie,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Thistle Hotel Aberdeen Altens and for the great review, in particular the title! I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and its personally very satisfying to hear you rate us higher than Hilton! I am sure my team will be just as pleased when I share your feedback with them.

Hopefully you'll think of us the next time you are in the area

Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed 31 July 2013

From the outside this hotel looks very big but fairly old and dated. However, on entering the lobby area the reception is quite modern and smart. I was staying at this hotel as my company booked me in here due to the good location next to Altens Industrial estate and Petrofac training facility (being only 10 minutes walk). The main clientele in this hotel is offshore workers.
On check in the reception staff were not over welcoming and failed to produce a smile. I asked to check in around 12 as I had just travelled 15 hours from Bangkok and was quite tired. The hotel looked huge however I was unable to check in until 2 :(
On entering my room it was just as expected. Double bed, large wardrobe, ensuite with shower, coffee making facilities etc. Standard 3-4* hotel room.
I needed some clothes cleaning in the laundry for the next couple of days. On checking the Thistle's laundry price list I was quite shocked. Around £4.80 for 1 t-shirt and £3.50 for 1 pair of boxer shorts! .....
I went to the bar area for food and I had a £20 meal allowance paid for by my company. After reading the menu, £20 does not go very far at all. I had 3 very, very small escalopes to start which cost around £8. For main a Peri-Peri chicken burger for £13 !!! And there was nothing Peri Peri about it :)
On the other hand the bar staff were quite friendly and attentive.
2 things which I found were the best: the gym and the breakfast.
Average hotel.... not worth the price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear JamesG111186,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review following your recent visit to our hotel. I was sorry to hear the hotel failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

The hotel is only 3 miles from the city centre, but if you require a more central location we have a sister hotel called The Caledonian, by Thistle.

Our Check in time is 2pm and we will always endeavour to arrange early check ins where possible, however on this occasion it was not booked in advance. If you let us know at the time of booking we can make sure everything is ready for you. Unfortunately the hotel was full the night before and check out is not till 12 noon, which is when you came to check in.

In the restaurant, in addition to the main menu we also offer a "Market Menu" which provides a choice 3 course menu for £19.95

I am pleased to hear you liked the gym and breakfast and I will ensure the bar staff read your kind comments.

I hope we get to welcome you back in the near future to afford us the chance to improve your opinion of the hotel

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Just spent one nigh here two adults two kids. Staf were very friendly and helpful, we apparently had an up grade and it was a lovely room but outlook was awful. I defo would not pa t full price for this room. Food was good although my husband was disappointed in his steak and no steak knife.
Staff were very good and patient with the children nothing was too much bother. Pool was great and he kids really enjoyed it . I would return and I would recommend but you really must get all your plumbing fixed toilet I. Room broken toiler in ladies changing rooms broken and toilet on ground floor broken. All in all a good time was had by all

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear moba,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, I'm pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

I will discuss your feedback with the team and we all hope we get to welcome you back soon

Glasgow
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Booked last minute with late rooms and we were really happy with our accomodation and the deal of £69 for double room with breakfast. The hotel although is stated to be City centre is actually a wee bit out round about £10 taxi fare to city centre. The checkin was hassle free and the girls on the desk were very pleasant and efficient. The rooms were spotlessly clean and very modern, tea and coffee provided with lovely free shortbread. Bed was kingsize and ultra comfortable, bathroom spic an span, bath and powerful shower and complimentary toiletries provided. Great swimming pool and spa facilities which are included in your stay should you wish, which we did, and had a a relaxing swim, sauna and jacuzzi before breakfast, a real bonus. The breakfast was buffet style and it was plentiful and enjoyed by us all. The bedrooms also have hairdryer iron and ironing board which is always handy. Great stay would definately give this hotel the thumbs up if you are ever in Aberdeen.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
KrisManship, Manager at The Aberdeen Altens Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Rita C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your kind review. I am delighted you had a "lovely overnight stay" and really appreciate the "thumbs up"!

Hope to see you back at the hotel soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here, this time was for 2 weeks. This hotel has excellent facilities, friendly staff and the food is very good too. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wether its for business or pleasure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Bigh1111,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again at Thistle Hotel Aberdeen Altens, we appreciate your loyalty and the great recommendation!

Hope we get to welcome you back for a 3rd time!

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I stay in a few different hotels with work and can't fault the Thistle.

Food is good and having a pool as spa makes a nice change in Aberdeen.

Staff were really helpful even ringing the room to check everything was ok.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Filip_83,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Thistle Hotel Aberdeen Altens. I am delighted to hear you "can't fault" the hotel and its especially reassuring to hear from someone who uses hotel a lot! I be sure to share your kind comments with the team and I hope we get to welcome you back the next time you are in Aberdeen