“Shame about the restaurant”

Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport
Ranked #49 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Stirling, Scotland
“Shame about the restaurant”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Checked in late and greeted by pleasant and helpful receptionist. Bedroom typical budget hotel standard, clean room and very comfortable bed. No complaints apart from lack of sound insulation between rooms and WiFi too weak a signal to enable me to connect to it. Snoring from next room thankfully stopped after a while.
Having read the previous reviews I was not surprised but just as disappointed as other contributors at the breakfact experience. Told to sit down anywhere and could only find a table still to be cleared. When waitress finally attended she did not clear or clean the table, instead piling the remains from two previous guests onto one side of the table to make room for my breakfast. (See photo) Whilst waiting for my breakfast to arrive, both she and another waitress walked passed the table several times and did nothing. Man in suit, presumably restaurant manager came by and removed some but not all of the debris, and so when breakfast arrived it was deposited on the unclean table, on top of the spills and crumbs from previous guests and I still sat there looking at the remains of their tea pots and plates. I only ordered a bacon roll and tea, and from the time of sitting down at the table to the point it arrived, it took fully 30 minutes. Thankfully, having read earlier reviews, I had allowed for this but many other guests were having to chase staff as they were in danger of missing flights. Probably the worst breakfast experience I have had in ANY hotel. So, if you need to stay at Aberdeen airport and have to stay at the Speedbird, then, if you can get it, take a room-only deal and have breakfast in one of several cafes in the terminal building all of which looked clean and inviting.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Challenger4
Frank W, General Manager at Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Speedbird Inn. Please accept my apologies that your breakfast experience wasn’t up to standard. It is true that the demand for breakfast can, at times, mean that every table is in use. However, your description and photo of how the team looked after you after you sat down do not reflect the way the team are trained, or how they should be managed. The hotel’s Food and Beverage Manager will be using your review with his team as part of the steps he is taking to make this better.

With reference to your comments about Wi-fi connectivity, there are a large number of routers distributed around the building. Sometimes these may need resetting if the signal is weak. If you experience this again, please let the hotel team know so that the router closest to your room can be reset.

The opportunity to demonstrate to you that these improvements have been made would be great. I look forward to hearing from you in the future as to how we’re doing.

Kind regards
Frank Whitaker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
U.K.
Reviewed 18 January 2012

The Speedbird Inn was perfect for our needs as we had a very early flight on a Sunday morning. Friendly reception, clean basic room, comfortable bed and very quiet. Free wifi.
Pub was quiet being a Sat. night I guess, but warm and welcoming, and the staff were friendly enough, certainly not awful as in previous reviews! The menu had a good choice, and our chosen fish and chips very nice indeed. We were provided with a complimentary taxi at 4.45 am to the airport as their shuttle bus only runs on weekdays. All in all very worthwhile for £40 for the room. Will certainly use again.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Nice place, nice rooms, nice friendly staff!

Rooms are nice, FREE yes FREE wifi in your rooms. Surroundings nice.

Food debatable bit bland and pricy for what ya get but served by very friendly staff in a relaxed atmosphere bar was good too.

Highly recommended

Room Tip: If you have to stay a an airport hotel then stay here.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Greenwich, UK
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Hotel is located within the airport precinct and an easy walk of five minutes. I believe they also provide a pick up service. I chose this hotel as my overnight stay while flying from Shetland to London, as I couldn't do two flights in one day. Brief check in, efficient and informative. I treated myself to a higher rate room, and although it was large, I didn't think it deserved the extra £. The bedroom was clean, the bathroom was acceptable, though the a small area of the tiling was a little tired and one of the caps on the tap turner was missing. I was in the outer reaches of the hotel and the wifi didn't kick in but I was more interested in a good night's sleep - and that was achieved.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Rhoose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel is located within walking distance of the Terminal.

I had a Superior Double Room with was large, quite and comfortable.

It's a short walk outside from the hotel building to the restaurant. Walk quickly or take a coat if you're there during the winter! :-)

Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank stevemhall
Brazil
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Stayed overnight Saturday prior to catching an early flight Sunday morning.
Room was spacious, clean & comfortable & reception staff extremely pleasant & helpful.
Bar was basic & generally unwelcoming & as noted from an earlier review, the bar Manager was not exactly welcoming.
Food was not available as the restaurant was closed (after hours?) so later arrivals had the choice of crisps or crisps!
Conclusion: Accommodation & Reception good but the establishment is let down by the utilitarian state of the bar & general attitude of the bar staff.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Skypilot76
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I reviewed the Speedbird a few months ago and as my company booked me into
the hotel recently I have decided to write another review.

My previous experience with the hotel restaurant was unfavourable so I decided to keep an open mind and see if the same problems persisted. My main concerns with the Speedbird were the restaurant as I found the accommodation to be fairly average and acceptable by Aberdeen standards. Sadly hotel accommodation in Aberdeen tends to be both expensive and of poor quality. The accommodation at the Speedbird is about average. Neither good nor bad.

I had only the breakfast in the restaurant. Predictably the restaurant opened 7 minutes late. This may not seem like a big deal but when the Speedbird depends for a lot of its trade on oil workers with an early check in at the heliport the late opening of the restaurant can mean the
difference between having a breakfast and not having a breakfast. I sat down at a table and waited to be served, and waited, and waited. I waited for thirteen minutes to have my order taken. One of my previous complaints was the fact kippers were advertised on the menu but very rarely were they available. On this occasion I asked for kippers, they weren't available. I then ordered a full breakfast with no eggs. I waited for another 9 minutes to be served my breakfast. My breakfast was given to me 29 minutes after the scheduled opening of the restaurant. I find this to be totally unacceptable. This meant I was hurried in returning to my room to collect my belongings, then checking out and then waiting for transport to the heliport.

The full breakfast I requested with no egg was served to me with a fried egg. I was served a sausage and one piece of bacon, some beans, a hash brown and that was it. The hash brown was cold. The toast I requested was given to me halfway through my breakfast. I was not happy, yet again, with the service in the restaurant.

The accommodation at the Speedbird is acceptable with wi-fi, fairly modern rooms, nice decor and clean. However the restaurant is in need of either closing or a complete overhaul as it is clearly failing. I could not recommend the restaurant but would certainly recommend buying sandwiches from the nearby airport.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank MrInfinity001
, General Manager at Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the Speedbird Inn. I’m sorry that you experienced some problems at breakfast when you stayed in October. Rest assured that the hotel takes your comments seriously and is taking direct steps with the team to make the necessary improvements. Please don’t hesitate to speak directly to a member of the team if you’re not happy with your experience in the future, as being able to put something right at the time is the most effective way of resolving anything.

Kind regards
Frank Whitaker

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels