“Decent Budget Hotel - but don't try breakfast.......”

Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport
Ranked #51 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Thurso, United Kingdom
“Decent Budget Hotel - but don't try breakfast.......”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We arrived late at the Speedbird and were met by a very pleasant girl at the reception. She couldn't do enough for us. Room was clean and quiet. I cannot fault it.
Next morning we went over for breakfast and although it was nice and clean enough, the waiter was a bit blase. In fact I would say cocky. He took our order and within a minute it was served (along with the bill). After a minute my wife noticed we didn't get any eggs, she asked our esteemed waiter who informed us that they had "run out". A breakfast bar run out of eggs at 8am in the morning? The breakfast itself was poor at best, 2 small rashers of bacon, 1 sausage, 1 hash brown, mushrooms and a dollop of beans. I reckon it cost less that £1 to make. When it came to paying, my wife informed the waiter that due to the lack of eggs she was only paying £15 (still way over the top). After humming and hawing, phoning and speaking to the "chef" he accepted this. Take my advice, walk the 300yards and go to Wotherspoons for food!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Frank W, General Manager at Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Speedbird Inn. I'm sorry to read that breakfast was not right; please accept my apologies.

The truth is, following weekend of higher than expected room sales due to delayed flights, the kitchen did, unfortunately run out of eggs. The Chef briefed the Restaurant team to offer alternatives to compensate. I have spoken to the Restaurant Attendant who served you. He is a newer member of the team and apologises for forgetting to tell you about the eggs and offer an alternative. His hesitancy in handling the situation demonstrates that this was an exceptional circumstance, not the norm. However, it was not right and I am sorry.

I hope we see you back at the hotel again soon; your confidence in the hotel’s breakfast will, I'm sure, be high once again.

Frank Whitaker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
Leicester
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for work as I was flying ouo if the Airport the following morning. When I arrived check in was easy and pleasant and I was allowed to check in half an hour early. I walked into my room to a damp and freezing cold temperature but the room looked clean and ample for me. I plugged on the electric heater and proceeded to have a shower after my long journey. The shower however had large clumps of black mould in the bottom and within the crevice of tiles leading me to believe it had not had a thorough deep clean for a while! After braving the shower which at least was nice and hot I returned to my room to a burning musty smell coming from the radiator which obviously hasn't been used for months! Needless to say that got turned off and I went to huddle under the blanket of the bed! The mattress in the bed was rock hard and you could feel every single spring, so my nights sleep was ruined! The remote control on the TV didn't work and the picture quality was so grainy I turned it off. I then went to make a cup of tea but found grey duck tape covering the plug socket obviously so it wasn't use, surely this means the socket was unsafe and I a paying guest should not be in this room with dodgey wiring!! Having only one other plus socket the kettle had to go on floor, very hygienic & safe, I'm glad I had no children with me! I tried the restaurant out that evening! Wish I hadn't have bothered!!! It took 50 minutes for my 'homemade' burger to arrive which was then so dry it was almost inedible, the chips were left over scraps full of oil from the bottom of the fryer, it was horrible. I also fail to understand why when in Aberdeen they do not serve the world famous Aberdeen Angus meat but obviously this is probably another cost cutting exercise like electric heating & improper maintenance. What's more the waiter spilt a bottle of Pepsi all over my table and although he apologised he carried on serving other guests and then came back 5 minutes later to mop up after it had all dripped off onto the carpet! Service was appalling!!
Breakfast was a waste of time too again everything swimming in oil but the pot of tea was lovely!
Overall my impression of this place is that the management have gotten a little lacklustre on their standards and are not keeping an eye on the fine detail! I would never use this establishment again until the problems have been competently corrected & possible new management! Having said that the receptionist was lovely & very helpful. Such a shame!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank JPGreasley
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Speedbird Inn. I’m sorry to read that not everything you encountered lived up to your expectations; please accept my apologies.

The hotel works through a program of preventative maintenance; 20 bathrooms have been re-grouted in the last 2 months, for example. It’s unfortunate that you stayed in a room that we have not yet worked on.

To support the preventative maintenance, the hotel has recently bought beds for 64 bedrooms from Glencraft in Aberdeen, who won the contract based on the quality of their product. We’ve also upgraded all 99 Standard bedrooms to Freeview with the purchase of 37” LG LCD televisions and the broadband has been upgraded to 100mbps.

However, we should have thought that the heater would smell of dust after months of not being needed in the great weather that Aberdeen has enjoyed, and the broken socket should have been replaced. You’ll be pleased to know that the Housekeeping team are checking the heaters and the socket has been replaced.

Having spoken to everyone who was working when you ate, I’m afraid that no one recollects a customer with comments like yours about your meal. The team check back after meals are served to make sure everything is OK. I’m sorry to read your meal wasn’t right, and surprised at your comments about breakfast “swimming in oil”. It may interest you to know that each breakfast is cooked individually to order on a solid top griddle, with no oil in use.

Mr Greasley, this hotel’s priority is to look after our customers, which means investing time and money in continuous improvement. Rest assured that there is no culture of cost cutting here in any shape or form. I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to restore your faith.

Frank Whitaker

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Walk across the street outside the airport, go through the parking house, walk to the roundabout, turn left, and after less than 100 meters, the Speedbird Inn is on your left. It took me less than 10 minutes even with a trolley luggage behind me.
Hotel is fairly basic but absolutely fine and with a good bar in a separate building outside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Frank W, General Manager at Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Speedbird Inn. It may interest you to know that there is a shorter walk to the hotel from the airport than the one that you describe. As you reach the end of the covered walkway leading away from the airport entrance you will see, to your left, the airport's car rental car park with The Speedbird Inn at the far side. Cross the car park diagonally in the direction of the hotel, and you'll reach a gate in the fence with access to the hotel's car park. It is a considerably shorter route than following the road to the roundabout.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed one night before flying out. Room basic but very clean and tidy. Would book here again. Restaurant food average.
This is a great location. Shuttle available to airport, but a walk of 10-15 minutes means it is not too far away to pull wheeled suitcases [as the shuttle had broken down, this was our option on return!]

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Frank W, General Manager at Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review of your recent stay. Pleased to read that everything suited you and look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was not sure what to expect, but the Speedbird delivered. Rooms clean and more than adequate with comfortable beds. Food in the restaurant excellent and priced very competetively.Staff very helpful and friendly. Could not fault it.

• Stayed August 2013
Frank W, General Manager at Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for your review. It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay; hope to see you back at the hotel again soon.

Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed here for one night on 8th August, check in on arrival was good and staff in bar and restaurant were commendable. My food was excellent but business colleague who joined me for dinner was not so fortunate. However room was fine free wifi worked ok and breakfast was superb. Would recommend for a couple of nights if you just want basics; very good value for price

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Frank W, General Manager at Speedbird Inn, Aberdeen Airport, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Speedbird Inn. It was good to read that you enjoyed your stay, although I was sorry to read that your colleague was not so lucky with his meal; that's unfortunate and I'd encourage your colleague to let me know what was not right so the team can work on any necessary improvements.

Look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon.

Liverpool
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We arrived late at Aberdeen airport so decided to stay the night at the Speedbird Inn before moving on to the Cairngorm National Park. Having read the reviews in tripadvisor I was expecting an average airport hotel but was pleasantly surprised. The staff at reception were friendly and efficient. The room was of a good size and comfortable with a modern bathroom. The breakfast was of a good standard. There is also a bar the Captain's Flying Club just outside reception which was fine for a drink and also serves food. All in all a better than average airport hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank runub
Thank you for your review of The Speedbird Inn. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay; it's encouraging for the team to read recognition of the hard work that they put into trying to make sure our customers have a good experience.

Look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon.