“Spa Day for 2 Disappointing”

Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Spa
Ranked #4 of 17 Spas & Wellness in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Spa Day for 2 Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I had booked a voucher for my mum's birthday for a Spa Day for 2, this entitled us each to two 25 minute treatments and the use of all the spa facilities (gym, pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam Room). I had an appointment in the afternoon so we arrived in the morning to make the most of the Jacuzzi etc only to be told on arrival that the Steam Room and the Jacuzzi were both out of action. They did have someone coming to look at them that day (apparently). As my mum doesn't swim it was going to be a long hour and 45 minutes until our first treatment.

What really is annoying is that one of the leisure club members advised us the Jacuzzi has actually been broken for 3 weeks and this wasn't a new problem. The steam room had also been reported for it's unclean state and subsequently closed so to say these were new problems was a blatant lie. We weren't the only people there for a spa day sorely disappointed. The hotel should have contacted us to advise the facilities were out of action and provide us with the opportunity to rebook when they were fixed. It was a waste of a day off to get 10 minutes in the sauna and less than an hours pampering. We did manage to go into the pool as it wasn't too deep but overall a disappointing day and had we known of the issues with the facilities we most certainly would have postponed.

On the plus side the treatments were relaxing it's just a shame they were clouded with the negative of the other facilities (or lack of).

2 Thank CC1981
PeterArdoeGM, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Spa, responded to this review, 2 November 2014
Dear CC1981,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your visit at the hotel and more specifically in our Spa. I am terribly sorry to read that on this occasion your experience did not meet your expectations. I fully appreciate your feedback with regards to some of the facilities being closed. I would like to reassure you that some time has passed now since your visit and the problems you encountered have for long been addressed.
I hope we will have the pleasure of a return visit.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“my time at ardoe by me”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I would like to say a big thank you to the following staff for making my stay at this hotel so nice.
Both Erins, Frances, Alexandra in fact all the alex's, Leigh, Erika, Emily, Katherine, Anita, Greg, David, and Neil. If I have forgot any body I'm sorry but all the staff deserve praise for making my stay here so nice. the food is nice but it could do with a specials board maybe. the lighting in the room could be brighter as well. But apart from that thank you all for making my stay so pleasurable in the Ardoe!

Visited July 2013
Dear Chris e,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit at Ardoe House Hotel & Spa. I was very pleased to read that my whole team at the hotel was able to make your stay a special one. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team.

I very much look forward to welcome you back at Ardoe during your next visit to Aberdeen

Aberdeenshire
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Overpriced, sub standard, choose somewhere else....”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I recently booked a birthday treat for myself and a friend - £95 each, day spa. What a disappointment!
The pedicure was pathetic - basically a wash of your feet in a wooden bucket, nothing else - not even a proper pedi chair. The exfoliation treatment was pathetic - a dry loofah brushed over you for two minutes. The back massage was average, but the best part of the deal. The manicure was Ok - but very basic. The facilities need an overhaul. The lunch menu was Ok, but nothing special - for a special day like this you expect more, and the spa day is not cheap. We planned to relax at the pool (as advertised) but they failed to tell us that they run back to back mum and toddler/baby swimming all afternoon. The staff are nice enough, but frankly seem bored and lacking any real quality spa experience....they don't seem to understand much about a true spa experience. Choose somewhere else - this was such a disappointment, you will get better value for money and a superior experience at many other places in Aberdeen area.

Visited May 2013
Dear Loody14,

Thank you for telling us about your recent experience. I was very disappointed to read that your visit was disappointing. I would like to reassure that some time has passed since your visit and that the problem you have highlighted have long been addressed.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back on property.

Hotel Manager
Aberdeen
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

Updated

Before I start I can't comment on the hotel as only attended the spa. The hotel and grounds look lovely.

I had a voucher for the spa and felt really cheated. I was booked for 1pm arrived 15 mins early as asked to. Filled in the form and waited to be taken. Therapist arrived at 5 past one and to be fair apologised for being out of uniform as she was standing in as staff were off sick.

I had my facial first which is unusuall then a back massage when this was finished she offered me a glass of water. The whole treatment appeared to really quick. When I returned to my car I noticed it was 1. 50 pm so my whole experience including getting dressed and undressed was 45 mins.

I checked my voucher online and I was supposed to have a 55 mins for me massage and a25 mins mini facial. It should also have included a glass of wine or herbal tea neither of which I was offered.

I know it was a voucher nut if you want people to return and pay the full price you need to impress them surely. I had this treatment on the 4 th April it was my birthday and I was really disappointed.

UPDATE

Spa response was to offer another treatment thank you good service

1 Thank pickyAberdeen
Dear pickyAberdeen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience following your visit at the Spa at Ardoe House hotel & Spa. I was very disappointed to read that you were left to feel the way you did following your visit. I would like to reassure you that the issues you encountered in April 2013 have been addressed and lessons have been learnt from your feedback.
I hope we will have the pleasure of return visit in the future where you will be able to experience a relaxing day with us in our Spa.

scotland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“In a word relaxation!!!”
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Bought a spa deal through living social and had the most wonderful day at the Ardoe House Spa. Friendly and welcoming you wouldnt have known we were there on a cheap deal. Carrie my therapist gave me one of the best massages i have ever had working hard at tweaking out the very many tension knots and giving great advice at working on them. Then time spent relaxing at the pool jacuzzi steam room and sauna. A very tasty leisurely lunch then Carrie took me back for the most relaxing facial. My skin thanked me for it for days later with s natural glow and no dry bits. In fact if she had massaged me after that im sure there would have been no knots. Such friendly therapist i will be back....and wont wait for a cheap deal. Carrie you are a star an thank you for the lovliest day.

Visited April 2013
Dear cjs63,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience in our Spa at Ardoe House. I was delighted to read that your experienced exceeded your expectations and even more so that your left extremely relaxed after the quality treatments you received.
I look forward to welcome you back on property for another relaxing experience.