“Reviver spa break”

Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Spas & Wellness in Aberdeen
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Just spent a wonderful evening as part of 50th celebrations with 3 friends. The break consisted of . Check in at 2pm, 25 minute treatment,evening meal and breakfast the following morning.
I decided to book an Afternoon Tea at 12 pm as an extra treat.
We arrived and were made extremely welcome and shown to our table by the wonderfully welcome monk Alex who was extremely attentive to our every need. Excellent service.
Shown to our rooms which were both clean and comfortable, and a lovely touch to leave a lovely selection Of chocolates and a handwritten card wishing us a lovely stay.
First 2 girls headed off to their treatment while we put our champagne on ice.. The ice bucket and glasses we requested were delivered promptly, with a smile..
We then headed for our treatment. Slight hiccup when we had no clue where the spa was and in trying to locate it p, were 10 minutes late for a 25 minute treatment. The therapists were lovely and did their best to ensure we still had full treatment even although they were booked back to back.a tip here would be to book treatment well in advance , and to give yourself a little time after checking in to settle in room before your treatment time. We found ourselves quite rushed between checking in and rushing straight to treatment. Spa facilities excellent. Lovely pool, sauna and jacuzzi.
Meal was served by very attentive staff, and food was delicious although the 3 of us that had ordered chicken found our food only just 'warm' and not nearly hot enough!! We did not wish any deserts although plenty to choose from and instead opted for the cheese board... Hiccup.. No cheese!!! As way of compensation we were offered a liqueur of our choice by john the restaurant manager.. We were led through to the beautiful open fire lounge for our complimentary drinks. The fire was expertly lit by the the jovial night porter Jim!!breakfast was in form of buffet and there is an excellent choice for all tastes.. Though as you always tend to find with buffet style.. Not really hot enough.
We had a wonderful stay at Ardoe House and would most definately return. Thank you to all the staff from the 4 girls who all turned up dressed as Audrey Hepburn. X

PeterArdoeGM, Manager at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2014

Dear Elaine R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and Spa experience with us at Ardoe House Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and particularly your time spent in our Spa.

I very much look forward to welcome you back on property during your next visit to Aberdeen or for another treat way with friends

Hotel Manager

in 3 reviews
"pity"
"wee"

Reviewed 30 November 2013

It has taken me a few days to decide whether to write a review or not but improvements cannot be made if you are not aware of guest experiences.

We had won a spa day voucher via a competition and had a choice of venues to claim it from, we decided to go to Ardoe House Hotel and Spa. We were really looking forward to it as I had been told by a few people that it should be really good.

Our voucher entitled us to one treatment (we went for a massage), use of all the facilities for the day and a light lunch. We had also booked to have gel nails. When we arrived we were asked to fill in forms. We were then taken to have our nails done, our jackets were not taken for us and we just had to put them over the back of our chairs having been offered anywhere to store them. While having our nails done the beauticians were taking about how one of the machines had not been drying the varnish, it turned out to be the one that was being used for my nails. I was slightly taken aback at how the machine was still being used when it was not functioning properly. Since having our nails done (just 4 days ago) the gel is starting to peel up. I have had gel nails done many times and have never experienced this - they have usually lasted about 3 weeks - and were done at half the price.

After our nails were finished we had an hour and a half before our massage. We decided to use the facilities. We felt a bit like lemons as none of the staff directed us where to go so we had to ask. After getting us towels and robes they directed us through to the changing rooms. We were told the steam room was out of order but the sauna, pool and jacuzzi were open for use. However the pool was slightly cold and the Jacuzzi not much better. The sauna was the best place to be. Before we went to get changed we had intended to have a shower but found them to be uninviting.

We then returned to the reception area and were then taken through to have our back, neck and shoulder massage. After we had had our massage we sat in the relaxation room and discovered some discrepancies - the room I was in had heated water cushions on the bed and soothing music was played. In my friends room, no music was played and there were no heated water cushions.

We ordered lunch not long after we arrived for 1pm, however we were asked a further 3 times what time we wanted lunch.

Needless to say we were both glad we hadn't had to pay for this experience with the exception of the nails.

There seems to be a general lack of organisation and communication between staff and the customer service is not what you would expect at a 4 star establishment.

1  Thank Ella W

Dear Ella W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your visit in our Spa. I was very disappointing to read that you encountered several inconveniences during your visit. I would like to reassure you that the points mentioned have been actioned and hope we will have the pleasure of a return visit in the future where you can enjoy the relaxing experience we pride ourselves of offering to all of our guests.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I had booked a voucher for my mum's birthday for a Spa Day for 2, this entitled us each to two 25 minute treatments and the use of all the spa facilities (gym, pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam Room). I had an appointment in the afternoon so we arrived in the morning to make the most of the Jacuzzi etc only to be told on arrival that the Steam Room and the Jacuzzi were both out of action. They did have someone coming to look at them that day (apparently). As my mum doesn't swim it was going to be a long hour and 45 minutes until our first treatment.

What really is annoying is that one of the leisure club members advised us the Jacuzzi has actually been broken for 3 weeks and this wasn't a new problem. The steam room had also been reported for it's unclean state and subsequently closed so to say these were new problems was a blatant lie. We weren't the only people there for a spa day sorely disappointed. The hotel should have contacted us to advise the facilities were out of action and provide us with the opportunity to rebook when they were fixed. It was a waste of a day off to get 10 minutes in the sauna and less than an hours pampering. We did manage to go into the pool as it wasn't too deep but overall a disappointing day and had we known of the issues with the facilities we most certainly would have postponed.

On the plus side the treatments were relaxing it's just a shame they were clouded with the negative of the other facilities (or lack of).

2  Thank CC1981

Dear CC1981,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your visit at the hotel and more specifically in our Spa. I am terribly sorry to read that on this occasion your experience did not meet your expectations. I fully appreciate your feedback with regards to some of the facilities being closed. I would like to reassure you that some time has passed now since your visit and the problems you encountered have for long been addressed.
I hope we will have the pleasure of a return visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I would like to say a big thank you to the following staff for making my stay at this hotel so nice.
Both Erins, Frances, Alexandra in fact all the alex's, Leigh, Erika, Emily, Katherine, Anita, Greg, David, and Neil. If I have forgot any body I'm sorry but all the staff deserve praise for making my stay here so nice. the food is nice but it could do with a specials board maybe. the lighting in the room could be brighter as well. But apart from that thank you all for making my stay so pleasurable in the Ardoe!

Dear Chris e,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit at Ardoe House Hotel & Spa. I was very pleased to read that my whole team at the hotel was able to make your stay a special one. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team.

I very much look forward to welcome you back at Ardoe during your next visit to Aberdeen

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I recently booked a birthday treat for myself and a friend - £95 each, day spa. What a disappointment!
The pedicure was pathetic - basically a wash of your feet in a wooden bucket, nothing else - not even a proper pedi chair. The exfoliation treatment was pathetic - a dry loofah brushed over you for two minutes. The back massage was average, but the best part of the deal. The manicure was Ok - but very basic. The facilities need an overhaul. The lunch menu was Ok, but nothing special - for a special day like this you expect more, and the spa day is not cheap. We planned to relax at the pool (as advertised) but they failed to tell us that they run back to back mum and toddler/baby swimming all afternoon. The staff are nice enough, but frankly seem bored and lacking any real quality spa experience....they don't seem to understand much about a true spa experience. Choose somewhere else - this was such a disappointment, you will get better value for money and a superior experience at many other places in Aberdeen area.

Dear Loody14,

Thank you for telling us about your recent experience. I was very disappointed to read that your visit was disappointing. I would like to reassure that some time has passed since your visit and that the problem you have highlighted have long been addressed.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back on property.

Hotel Manager