“Nice new hotel.”

Courtyard Aberdeen Airport
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night prior to travelling to work. Compared to the usual standard of hotels used by the company I work for, the Courtyard Marriott by far exceeds their standard. The hotel is obviously new and very clean. The decor is functional and modern. The room is nicely decorated and furnished, with a modern and well lit bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and had a sensible collection of pillows.The television has a good range of channels and tea & coffee are available in the room. The dining room is well staffed and the hot breakfast, although a little cold was nicely cooked and well presented. Are there any negatives?... For the offshore worker probably. There is no hotel courtesy bus from the airport or to the heliports. Although the local hopper bus can be used as a concession. For me this is the only negative which is only an issue if it's raining or the pavements are icy or you have heavy/multiple kit bags. Otherwise this is a very nice hotel in a good location.

• Stayed: August 2013
Lauren C, Manager at Courtyard Aberdeen Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your positive review of our new hotel. It’s always nice to receive 5 stars, and be assured I will be sharing this with the team

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Aberdeen Airport

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed at the new Courtyard for 6 nights from the 28th July.
Check-in took a lot longer than normal, I was also not told anything about the parking charge at check-in.
Luckily I overheard some people talking about it and went to reception to enquire; luckily I did as if I had driven off the next morning without paying 7 registering I would have been fined £100.
This is the first hotel in Aberdeen that I have stayed in that has charged me for parking whilst I am a guest.
Room themselves are new so still fresh, I do not think the wash hand basin is meant to be used as its shape and proximity to the mirror make it almost impossible to have a wet shave & rinse.
There is a fully equipped fitness room.
Small areas called “The Market” were you can get odds & sods; you would however be cheaper & have more choice walking around the corner to the Shell service station.
The Bar does not have a very good selection of either alcoholic or soft drinks.
The evening menu is really not up to the standard for any hotel, as someone has already mentioned you can get a better selection at the local supermarkets.
They do not have a shuttle service to either the airport or Dyce railway station.
The staff were all really pleasant even when coping with problems not of there doing.
The cleaning staff although doing a good job did not seem to have got into a routine yet, it didn’t seem to matter what time of day you returned to your room there always seemed to be someone knocking at your door.
However as stated it is a new hotel and some teething troubles will always be present. The staff all seem very keen to get all these troubles sorted and the location is perfect for the airport.
I will probably give it another go in a couple of months to see if things have changed for the better.
However I still think they need to reconsider the parking charge for customers staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: No room service available. Although you can ask for a tray for your meal / drink & take it up t...
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Aberdeen airport has been crying out for some new hotels. So I was excited to see the Courtyard under construction. It's brand new, and it shows. The staff are very slow at check it, but they are trying hard, but do make too much of the £50 deposit. I watched this annoy everyone they checked in.

They have gone for a modern decor and that is sort of nice.

There is a limited menu and no room service, but the food I had was good and the service was exceptional by UK standards.

The bed was horribly lumpy and the sheets very scratchy, but the room had everything you need, and there is a good fitness room. WiFi is included in the rate and available throughout the hotel that was very good. However, you had to pay to print out your boarding card and that seemed strange.

There is no shuttle to the airport. You can walk it fairly easily, but there are no sidewalks, and it was raining when I was going, so I called a taxi.

For £149 a night, I didn't think it made the mark, but it is newly open so perhaps it is too soon to say. One other note is that it was full of guys going offshore. These are good guys, but they spent a bit of time in the bar. Returning to my room was a bit uncomfortable as they were too friendly for a woman on her own.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor away from the elevator
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here in the first week after it opened and must say that if I keep aside some starting trouble that any establishment will face, this is a good hotel. I stayed during the weekend so my room rates were lower than the week rates hence I found it to be good value for money as well.

+ves
Close to airport
Clean and lots of light (for a UK hotel)
Rooms have all facilities that you would typically ask from a good business hotel incl free wifi
Breakfast - was good, no complaints as some reviewers have pointed out

-ves
Had some trouble with my reservation (I had paid for the breakfast and car parking as part of my room rental) but was still charged for both. However, after speaking to the gentleman at the reception they reversed both the charges. Guess it had something to do with the fact that they are a new hotel and probably the staff are getting used to things.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel. As a new hotel, it’s always nice to get good feedback, which is a wonderful motivator for our team, and be assured I will be sharing this with them.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Firstly had to wait for half an hour to get into hotel and check in, the staff were slow, basically answering complaints about a 50 pound deposit made on top of the room charge in case of breakages.
Finally got into a very nice room after making the same moan about deposits. The room looks nice and modern, with a glass walled shower room, the bed is big, but a bit soft for my standards. There is a nice glass table in the room, but the chair is on the side of the wall,, so can not be accesed easily.
The worst thing about the hotel is the food, not the quality but the quantity and lack of selections available. I have seen more choice in the local supermarket resteraunt. Luckily there are other hotels nearby with better food who don't mind you using their resteraunt. Personally I will not choose this hotel again, when there are other older but better hotels in the same area

Dear Guest,
I’m sorry to read that the Courtyard brand is not for you. We do take on board your comments regarding check-in and Food and Beverage, and have already made improvements based on customer feedback. As a new hotel, we don’t always get it right, but be assured we do take every comment seriously
I do hope you take this in to consideration when you next visit Aberdeen

Reviewed 23 July 2013

As a former Marriott employee, I am always keen to check out a new property. I spent one night there during the first week it was open. This hotel is new, beautiful, and a very much needed addition to the Aberdeen airport. Let's start with the positives.

Positives:
-beautiful, modern, clean
-staff very friendly
-lovely glass desk on wheels great versatile workspace
-reading lights in bed
-fridge
-NO airport noise
-good thick blackout curtains, essential for long Scottish summer days
-AC (a rare treat in the UK)
-safe
-plenty of plugs for laptops, phones (even one under full length mirror for hair dryer or wand/curling iron)
-recycling bin (first one I’ve seen in a corporate hotel)
-supportive, comfortable bed
-ice bucket and free ice machine
-corkscrew

There are a few things that can be improved as the staff gets used to running the hotel:

-Long wait at 3pm check in (staff seemed a bit flummoxed and were not not greeted for several minutes)
-No bill slipped under the door during the night (a Marriott standard)
-Internet billing issue: our rate package included internet but we were charged anyway. The front desk associate kindly took the charge of our bill but did not seem to believe me that our rate included internet.
-Market under stocked, no still water (the staff kindly got us some from the bar)
-Needs milk/creamer and caffeine free tea or coffee in the tea tray

A few issues could be clarified for guests through in-room instructions:
-AC not automatic so I had to keep turning it on (Is there something I'm not doing right?)
-Difficult to work sink (How to drain the water? Never worked it out)

And finally - things that irked us but are not likely to change:
-No privacy in bathroom due to glass wall (very pretty design and for solo business travelers privacy isn't an issue)
-Half-enclosed (or what I call a "cold bum") shower
-£5 overnight charge for parking (free under two hours for picking up and dropping off)
-Needs an airport shuttle

Once the staff get their act together, I have no doubt that this property will receive top reviews. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a quiet area far from the elevator if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Exhausted after a delayed connecting flight via Paris, we found ourselves unable to drive home safely from Aberdeen airport, hence the reason for our visit to this newly opened Courtyard by Marriott hotel.

We are HUGE fans of the Marriott hotel chain, but had never stayed in the 'Courtyard' type of hotel which they now have, but we thought we'd give it a try. (For those of you who collect Marriott loyalty points, the same applies in the Couryard establishments).

So.....the good, the bad and the ugly...........

Starting with the good -
This hotel is newly opened and stills smells very fresh (if you like the smell of paint and new carpets). It is ideally situated for Aberdeen airport, in fact we had a terrific view of the airport from our 5th floor room (523). I was a little concerned that the noise of the aircraft would be disturbing - but not....great soundproofing.
The rooms have a wall light with the room number on it in the hallway - a nice touch I thought. The room was very well equiped for a disabled person, with alarm pulls, fire buttons etc. It was also spotlessly clean and airy. There was a kingsize bed and a brand new rollaway bed brought in for our son. The room was tastefully furnished with more than enough lights and sockets. In the wardrobe was a safe, fridge, tie rack, hairdryer and plenty of hanging space. There was a stylish glass topped table/desk with a comfortable swivel chair which would have served well to eat or work at. The tea and coffee making facilities were adequate, the bedlinen was crisp and clean and the towels large and fluffy.

The bathroom was well stocked with soap, body wash, shampoo, body lotion and had a disabled toilet, twin level wash basin and a large 'wet room' type shower with seat. It had plentiful grab rails to hold on to (although the floor was not slippery at all), alarm pulls, and large, well lit mirrors.

So far so good.......now for the bad (in my opinion).....
The bathroom wall was glass!!! A modern idea I know, and I may just be a little old-fashioned, but I prefer privacy when using the bathroom. Admittedly, the glass was opaque PROVIDED YOU KEPT A SAFE DISTANCE FROM IT - otherwise....well, enough said!

Room service - forget it....you have to fetch the food yourself from the bar beside reception. It was a little pricey and limited in choice in my opinion. Certainly room for improvement there. Similarly, breakfast is limited in choice and a bit overpriced......we would have been charged £4.50 per head for yoghurt for example. However, Lidls along the road has freshly baked baguette and a choice of yoghurts for a fraction of the price!

The cost of the room was a little steep at approximately £140 a night on a room only basis - and for that reason we will find better value elsewhere in future and not return here.

OK....for the downright ugly......................
WHO LAID THE CARPETS!?!? What a mess!
First impressions are lasting impressions. If I need reminding about this hotel, my husband will say ' you remember that place with the wavy carpets?' - I will instantly recall being there at that thought.
The carpets are a mess. The fitters have not taken out any slack, not fitted the edges against the skirtings and have left white glue blobs on the surface of the pile making the carpets sticky to the touch. I couldn't help but wonder if the fitters were under pressure to get the job done in time for opening. But really, opening should have been delayed to allow for a proper job to be done. Unsecured carpets 'walk' and form waves. So easy to trip on. Marriott, get the fitters back before you face an insurance claim.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts if you want a peaceful night.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TellTheTruthPlease

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback on our new Hotel. I found it very useful in identifying areas we could improve on. As you correctly pointed out, this is the courtyard brand, and therefore, we don’t offer the same services as our full service Marriott hotels, yet we do expect our team to be just as courteous and helpful. I do hope you will give us another try in the near future, as I’m sure you can grow to love us
Thank you again!