“Our stay at the premier inn”

Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre Hotel
Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
forfar
“Our stay at the premier inn”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We got a great welcome from the girls at reception. Apologised that kitchen was not able to do cooked breakfast (due to extractor fan). Continental breakfast had great selection with them also offering to cook porridge or scrambled eggs. Great sleep , tidy room, quiet ...what more do you want for£29 a night

Stayed January 2014
Derek A, General Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Ronbalneaves

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and you received a warm welcome. I will pass on your comments to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I spent 5 nights in this hotel in December 2013. The staffs were very friendly. They gave me a room on the ground floor, which is nice. The downside is the auto-heater was a bit peculiar and it didn't seem to work. There was also no fridge, which let me down since I bought food and no place to store. The location is very good because you can just walk to Union Street in 5-10 minutes. There's a hotel car park you can park your car, but I took the bus from the airport to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Derek A, Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Conrad_Grayson

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed your short stay and I will look into the problem you had with the heater, as for the storage of your food items, we do not supply fridges or any food containers in any of our rooms.
Your kind comments regarding the friendliness of my team members, will be passed on to them, as we are constantly making every effort to improve our service to yourself and other members of the public who use our hotel.

Once again thank you for your time and we hope to see you in the near future.

Derek Anderson
Markinch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night just before Christmas. Have stayed several times previously. Reception staff very pleasant and welcoming. This time we had to pay for the car park, haven't had to pay previously. Hotel situated in good central spot for shopping, restaurant and visitor attractions. Only problem we had was that water was not hot enough to have a bath.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Carol189531

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the team pleasant and welcoming, I will pass on these comments.

I would like to apologise that the water was not hot enough and if you find this to be the case in the future please contact reception.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I was a bit worried about staying at this Premier Inn after reading some of the reviews but they turned out to be unfounded. It was as high quality as all of the other premier inns I have stayed at - in fact I think that the restaurant Thyme was better than some. My only gripe was that the room was chilly and the TV volume wouldn't go up enough for my slightly deaf ears but the staff were very quick to provide an extra heater and an extra duvet so all was well. I didn't report the small problem with the TV as I wasn't that bothered. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful at all times. Very good choice for Aberdeen city centre or the university as it is slap bang between the two.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mary D

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your kind comments to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here on Business for 2 nights. First night i was woke up all night by a noisy radiator and someone getting there room door knocked at 5am for a wake up call, no phones in the room. i was moved rooms second night and then when i was getting changed a man and his wife walked in to my room as they had been given the same room key! tbh i thought it was funny but still poor from the hotel. The food was extremely average there was no decent lager and what there was came out the tap warm and tasted slighlty off. I have stayed at other premiers in Aberdeen and had good stays, this one is well away from the standards of the others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear craigp280885

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

I would like to apologise that we did to live up to premier inn standards. We are due a refurbishment in the near future.

I will also investigate the incident with people gaining access to your room so this does not occur in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here with a colleague on business, The location, near King ,was perfect for our work, just off Union Street, and for our evening walks to town and to Union Square where we dined. Central, and close to the beautiful Aberdeen Townhouse and Marischal College.

Our first impression was not a good one, they had both of us booked under my surname but with 2 separate christian names. How hard can it be to read a booking made through an agent? Once we had established with them that we were 2 separate people, 2 separate rooms, with booking made in same transaction, they had still allocated us rooms on separate floors, one on ground floor, one on 3rd floor. Crazy.

However we got that sorted out, as I insisted we were at least on same floor, if not adjacent rooms. They did provide us with rooms opposite each other on ground floor.Then I enquired about the Internet, which was £3 per night. I expected them to take a credit card scan and charge us for this at end of our stay, but no, it was cash up front.

The rooms were adequate. Reasonable size, with adequate storage on shelfs and with hangers, also coat hooks on wall by door. We had tea and coffee making facilities. Serviced daily, which was nice.

All the wall sockets were at eye level, so no kneeling on floor to plug in laptops, phone charger, etc.I wish more hotels would adopt this policy.

The bed was very comfortable, and had a chioce of pillows. Although I was alone, I still like to use 4 pillows when available, as I am a restless sleeper. 2 extra pillows were stored on a shelf.

The first night, although it was late November, the room was like an oven when we checked in at 5pm. I turned the temperature down from 18 to 11, we went out to dinner, and when I came back the temperature had risen again to 16, if I remember correctly. Why do they not allow us to control our own temperature, especially as their literature says "A good night's sleep guaranteed? ". The temperature next night was too cold, and even after adjusting it, the room never warmed up, and the radiator was cold to touch.

Also, when I came back form work on day 2, there were now only 2 pillows on my bed, the extra 2 had been put back on the shelf by the maids! Naughty me, helping myself!

The shower was not the best, the rigid direction of the water flow was such that in order to avoid scalding or freezing yourself, you had to select the correct temperature BEFORE stepping into bath, otherwise you had to lean into flow of water to reach the controls. (the hotel I stayed in the next week, Hilton Garden Inn, was the complete opposite of this, their shower controls were just perfect). A health and safety concern which needs investigated by Premier Inn, surely?

Apart from these check in issues, the dangerous shower, the self adjusting air con, and the pillow fight with maids, believe it or not, I was quite happy with my stay.

An area where the hotel however did excel was breakfast!

On day one we were met by Charles, who is a credit to the hotel. He asked us had we been here before, and as we replied that we hadn't, he showed us where everything was from toaster, tea/coffee, cereals, fruit juices to the hot plate, explained we could help ourselves, that it was unlimited, and then showed us to our table, which became our table for the week. He greeted us with a cheery smile every day. Also, he was local, with an accent, which was nice, as my colleague was from overseas. Real Scottish hospitality.

The breakfast was very good. tasty pork and leek sausages, bacon, lovely tasty mushrooms, hash brownsm and scrambled eggs/fried eggs always available. (Hilton Garden Inn take note, this is how breakfast should be done!). There was no haggis, disappointingly, but everything else was there in abundance, no empty spaces where food had run out, no wait for hot items! If we wished - we could go back for more hot food, I think some hotels give you the plate of cooked breakfast, and it's only the cold items you can return for more of.

As breakfasts in hotels go, 10/10 to this Premier Inn. Also 10/10 to Charles.

The personal touch was lovely, and saved us wondering Where is the butter?, Where is the milk?, etc.

In summing up, would I stay here again? I am not sure, if my work sends me then yes I would.

Personally? probably not, too many little niggles. There was a customer comment card, but a very small one, not room to write more than 2 sentences.

It was shame because the location and the breakfast/breakfast service were fantastic, but I would choose another hotel, for the better facilities of shower and air con.

Room Tip: no room preference, but please do take advantage of the lovely breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Derek A, General Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear scottishlassie64

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the inconveniences you incurred when you arrived at our hotel. We will look into this further to prevent the same issues arising again in the future.

The heating in the rooms is controlled by the panel on the wall.
The heating system does adjust to what guests set it at however at present it is only a heating system without air con so the temperature on the panel will display what the room is sitting at and can not cool the room down. We do hope in the future to also have air con units installed.

I have passed on your lovely comments to Charles and the breakfast team.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you at city centre in the future.
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is really basic. Very small rooms a bit shabby, no free Internet (only 30min/ day free), no breakfast included but a ATM is available.
My room (to back yard) was very noisy thanks to the windows and thin doors/ walls. The bed wasn't good at all. Good thing is the centre of Aberdeen is only few meters away but the hotel is located on a very busy road and looks like an concrete block from Soviet Union.
The prise was quite high...

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sebaksebak

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

I am sorry to hear you did not find our hotel to meet Premier Inn standards. We are due a refurbishment in the future and would hope you will come back and stay with us then.