“Saturday Night Stay ”
Review of Malmaison Aberdeen

Malmaison Aberdeen
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night with my husband. Unfortunately we were not happy with our room but on complaining to reception the manager came & spoke to us very quickly & offered us a discount on our rate which I was very happy with. We were also offered an alternative room but as we had dinner reservations said we would stay where we were. Our room was very quiet & had a lift to go to bar / restaurant. Food was lovely no complaints there at all.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I am very pleased that the team has responded and resolved your concerns on the day, promptly and efficiently, and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Had a lovely stay at this hotel in November, had booked for our 1st wedding anniversary, we booked the cocktail and dreams deal for a friday evening, hotel nice and clean, disappointing part was when we had the set menu that was included in the deal, starter was nice, for my main course I opted for steak and ale pie and couldn't believe when it arrived that it was served on its own, no vegetables or potatoes, the pie was far to rich to eat on its own, have never came across this before that a main dish doesn't include something served with it, very disappointing. We then went to the bar to order our cocktails that were included in the deal, on 1st glance there appears to be plenty of choice of cocktails but on looking further they are not the usual cocktails and I struggled to find one that I liked, would suggest should include regular cocktails such as mojito, cosmopolitin, pina colada etc - the one I opted for in the end I could not drink so again was a waste of money. As previously stated lovely hotel but few things let it down and due to this would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jenni,
Thank you for your feedback, I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your meal, we take your comments on board about the addition of vegetables to our prix fix menu, and chef will look into the balance of these dishes in the future. Our bar staff are very skilled at making individualised drinks so on your next visit please let us know what you would prefer and I am sure we would happily prepare an tailor make drink for you.
Thank you again, and we look forward to welcome you here soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Over recent months my company has booked me into this hotel twice and having been less than smitten first time around was hoping for a better experience. Its a quirky boutique style with darkness prevailing. I struggled with the lack of bedroom lighting, had no issues with beds and cleanliness, yet take these for granted in higher end hotels. Distincting lacking are the services which are plain and basic, frugal quantities of tea etc, bathrooms likewise, lacking robe, anything other than shampoo and shower gel. My local contacts spoke well of the food and my dinner bookings invariably took me to seats at the grill counter, and being occasionally smoked out by the chefs preparing steaks etc which though generally good to eat did not make for especially enjoyable dining experiences. After ordering porridge on my final morning and still waiting after 15 minutes, I was more than ready to check-out. I could not recommend this hotel if I was paying only half the cost of my room rate, and will not trust to third time lucky.

Room Tip: Unless you prefer living in the shade, ask for rooms on higher floors - they should get more natural...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Alan,
Thank you for your feedback, our rooms are indeed on the darker side, an ambience Malmaison is known for, however we are more than happy to add more lighting to your room on your next visit. Apologies you had to wait for your porridge, not our usual standard of service and I can only attribute it to a one off incident. We tend to seat individual guests at the grill as it is a more lively space to see the action first hand and chat to the chef, however we will ensure that on your next visit we offer you a seat in the brasserie to avoid the Josper smoke. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon to allow us the opportunity to resolve the issues you have raised.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is my second stay here and overall I think it as good as any other premium hotel in Aberdeen. The rooms are extremely comfortable although the ones on the ground floor are far better than those in the main block. Breakfast is good but service at dinner time can be a bit hit and miss. Try not to be seated too near the kitchen as the smoke extraction isn't as good as it could be. Bar is always vibrant and the gym, though small, is more than adequate.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mark,
Thank you for your feedback, the extraction for the Josper grill is reviewed quarterly and we will look at increasing the air suction at the next routine maintenance. We train our staff continuously to offer the best service and we will share your comments and work on ensuring a more consistent delivery, thank you again for taking the time to comment about your stay. we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Invited some family members to dinner at Malmaison this evening (Tuesday), and was surprised that the Brasserie was unavailable to our party of 4 'unless we were hotel guests'. As this was my 3rd visit, I was surprised that the pretty young hostess was not at all welcoming to unannounced guests. Odd, as I observed that the restaurant was never more that 50% occupied throughout our 3 hour stay in rather uncomfortable bar chairs.

On to the bar. While the cocktail crowd disappeared before 8:00, the service can best be described as slow and indifferent. Had to pursue a second glass of Malbec, water, and even the bill. When we discovered how limited the bar menus was, access to the Brasseries menu was absolutely denied. In fairness to the kitchen, the fried halibut was good, and my guests with pleased with their choice of seafood penne.

To conclude, Malmaison has fallen to the bottom of my business travel restaurant list in Aberdeen. There are plenty of fine dining establishments in Aberdeen that are not offended by walk-in business.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jim j
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel could be great but certain details totally ruined the stay: upon arrival at this so called 4 star hotel, no doorman, no valet but youth hostel type receptionist to welcome us... We were asked if we wanted someone to take care of our luggage... Yes that would be great... Parked our car ourselves in a street in the back after being explained that we cannot park in front of the hotel.
Carpet on the stairs leading to the rooms (no elevator) was very worn and dirty, which gives a bad impression.
Pretty nice room with good TV but with view on a wall (thus very dark) and next to a school: do not plan to sleep later than 8.30 during the week because of the children's noise...
Breakfast very poor without any fresh products and cherry on top: provided with butter that has been used by someone else...
When we left, the people hired for window cleaning were sitting in the lobby...
Staff very unprofesionnal during the whole time, seems it is not managed properly.
Would never return especially for 240 GBP....

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Went here for overnight stay with friends for my 50th birthday. Found bubbly and chocs and little card wishing me happy birthday in our room. Room was lovely . Girls in the spa deserve a special mention , they went out of their way to make sure 2 of us got nails and pampered too as they couldn't get massages. They made us all feel so relaxed and were lovely. Meal in restaurant and breakfast next day was just a treat. We were very well looked after and staff were very attentive even though restaurant was very busy. Have been many times before and just gets better ,

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends