“Stunning room and even better food”
Review of Malmaison Aberdeen

Malmaison Aberdeen
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My boyfriend booked a suite for my birthday and I taken away by how gorgeous the room was. We stayed in the Slains suite, which aligned with the price of the room - with the king sized sleigh bed, the waterfall showers, the wide screen TV, cosy couches and Foosball table, it was definitely a great treat. The only downfall, and the reason why full marks are not given, was due to the dirty bath-tup, where I was very unfortunate to find many dead flies.
The braisserie provides delicious food to suit all tastes. We shared a bottle of wine, an anti pasti board with bread for starter, I had a the pan-fried seabass for main (delicious but quite salty) and the fondant for dessert. The atmosphere was very romantic, although I would suggest that more candles or lighting was added as the restaurant was very dim (not recommended for those who are hard of sight!).
I would recommend Malmaison to all - but only for a treat or special occasion. Lovely place but very pricey!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Alison,
thank you for your comments, we will share them with the team, I am very sorry that the bathroom cleanliness let you down a point I have raised with our housekeeping team. we will also take on board the comment about the lighting in the Brasserie and we hope to see you here again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We returned to Mal for Christmas Eve after staying there the previous year and we were delighted to be given the same room as before which was as always - cosy and comfortable. The staff are always very attentive and helpful and it was nice to be given another christmas treat as we did the year before but it was different and arrived the morning of christmas day instead of christmas eve.

All in all a delight which has now become a tradition for us so 2014 christmas eve - we'll be back for more!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great comment, we will ensure it is shared with the team. we look forward to welcome you back in 2014.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Visited for dinner. Pricey menu with a 'shortage' of certain dishes. When we enquired if this meant 'shortage' as in limited number or actually 'off' as in none available, discovered it meant the latter. So why not say so. Very chatty young waiters offered their unsolicited opinions on all aspects of food and wine, including their personal favourites, which was a little strange. Food average, wine pricey, bar noisy - and expensive. Over £10 for a glass of wine and diet Coke. Decor very nice but incidental in view of other criteria.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jmac23_10

Thank you for your feedback, our Brasserie is very busy all week, which leads in some occasions to shortages of items on the menu due to their popularities, and the volume we sell. Our waiters are trained to provide guests with all the information about wine and food as well as make a personal recommendation as part of their service delivery to make your experience more personal, however we understand this may not be everyone cup of tea, and please feel free to let us know that on your next visit and we will gladly adjust.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I've never given a review before but felt I needed to add one for this hotel. We were on the Sunday night deal that if you spend £75 in the brasserie you get the room for £25. I accept, that with that price , not to expect the best room in the hotel, but do expect a clean one .
We checked in at 1445 and told our room wasn't ready. Not a problem as we went to the bar and were told they would let us know when room was ready. At 1545 I asked and room still wasn't ready. My wife then asked at 1600 and was told our room was given to someone else by accident!! Eventually , having spent £40 at the bar for 4 drinks!! We got room at 1615. Room 206 is in the old part of hotel. The floor is uneven , feels like the solid uncomfortable bed is on a hill. We both rolled downhill to one side of the bed. The bathroom was disgustingly dirty. And the lighting is poor. We had to get lamp replaced as it wasn't working. See attached pics.We were already late in meeting friends so decided to stick with it.
The brasserie had no burgers and could only offer prime rib steaks as they had run out of sirloins,fillets, tbones. We had 2 prime rib steaks, 2 sides and a bottle of wine for £102. Worst steak of my life, total rip off
There are no hoteliers here. Just apathy from the staff when things go wrong. Even at check in they said " ah, you've only booked the double room". It was almost as if they knew it was a rubbish room.
No mention of breakfast or were its served. Nothing! No steps taken to take our bags while we wait in the bar. Little things like this matter.
Plenty of other , better, and cleaner hotels out there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I am very disappointed that so many aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory, we would love to invite you back to experience our true standards and would ask you to contact me direct on rsamaha@malmaison.com

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night with my husband. Unfortunately we were not happy with our room but on complaining to reception the manager came & spoke to us very quickly & offered us a discount on our rate which I was very happy with. We were also offered an alternative room but as we had dinner reservations said we would stay where we were. Our room was very quiet & had a lift to go to bar / restaurant. Food was lovely no complaints there at all.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I am very pleased that the team has responded and resolved your concerns on the day, promptly and efficiently, and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Had a lovely stay at this hotel in November, had booked for our 1st wedding anniversary, we booked the cocktail and dreams deal for a friday evening, hotel nice and clean, disappointing part was when we had the set menu that was included in the deal, starter was nice, for my main course I opted for steak and ale pie and couldn't believe when it arrived that it was served on its own, no vegetables or potatoes, the pie was far to rich to eat on its own, have never came across this before that a main dish doesn't include something served with it, very disappointing. We then went to the bar to order our cocktails that were included in the deal, on 1st glance there appears to be plenty of choice of cocktails but on looking further they are not the usual cocktails and I struggled to find one that I liked, would suggest should include regular cocktails such as mojito, cosmopolitin, pina colada etc - the one I opted for in the end I could not drink so again was a waste of money. As previously stated lovely hotel but few things let it down and due to this would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jenni,
Thank you for your feedback, I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your meal, we take your comments on board about the addition of vegetables to our prix fix menu, and chef will look into the balance of these dishes in the future. Our bar staff are very skilled at making individualised drinks so on your next visit please let us know what you would prefer and I am sure we would happily prepare an tailor make drink for you.
Thank you again, and we look forward to welcome you here soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Over recent months my company has booked me into this hotel twice and having been less than smitten first time around was hoping for a better experience. Its a quirky boutique style with darkness prevailing. I struggled with the lack of bedroom lighting, had no issues with beds and cleanliness, yet take these for granted in higher end hotels. Distincting lacking are the services which are plain and basic, frugal quantities of tea etc, bathrooms likewise, lacking robe, anything other than shampoo and shower gel. My local contacts spoke well of the food and my dinner bookings invariably took me to seats at the grill counter, and being occasionally smoked out by the chefs preparing steaks etc which though generally good to eat did not make for especially enjoyable dining experiences. After ordering porridge on my final morning and still waiting after 15 minutes, I was more than ready to check-out. I could not recommend this hotel if I was paying only half the cost of my room rate, and will not trust to third time lucky.

Room Tip: Unless you prefer living in the shade, ask for rooms on higher floors - they should get more natural...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Alan,
Thank you for your feedback, our rooms are indeed on the darker side, an ambience Malmaison is known for, however we are more than happy to add more lighting to your room on your next visit. Apologies you had to wait for your porridge, not our usual standard of service and I can only attribute it to a one off incident. We tend to seat individual guests at the grill as it is a more lively space to see the action first hand and chat to the chef, however we will ensure that on your next visit we offer you a seat in the brasserie to avoid the Josper smoke. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon to allow us the opportunity to resolve the issues you have raised.