“Crathes Suite”

Ranked #12 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Kinross, United Kingdom
“Crathes Suite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Had a lovely time with my partner in the Crathes suite....breakfast was good and the atmosphere in the place was really warming and relaxing. We found the suite to be superb and had everything we needed, really good television. mini bar etc. The double monsoon shower was great!!!! The staff all really friendly and attentive.
Definitely would go back!

1 Thank TwoEnt
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Great to hear your feedback, and thank you for taking the time to do so, we appreciate your comments which will be shared with the staff. we hope to see you again soon, perhaps when the weather gets warmer you can take advantage of the large balcony of the suite too.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I've eaten here many times and accept the fact that you pay more for the nice atmosphere, reputation and good food. However, the wife and I went on Valentines day and I was generally disapointed with the set menu. My fault I suppose for assuming the normal menu would be availiable but the set menu was just a bit tying and at £110 before we even order a drink - too expensive. We would have just had a starter and main course as were were out for the night so having to pay for all the courses when we didn't want them was a bit poo.
Just left feeling they were taking the mick a little at hiking the prices so high and giving so few choices.
Service was generally a bit rushed and lacked a little smile here or there. The hotel clearly left the restaurant half empty for those people staying, which meant an awful lot of empty seats around us, despite only getting the booking due to a cancellation.
Won't be our first choice next year.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jason, thank you for your feedback, we have now consistently offered a set menu for valentines for the past 3 years, as we do for all special occasions, we believe the menu should reflect the celebration, the seats you found empty on the evening were due to external guests that had booked and paid and did not bother turning up, which in reality is a shame as they prevented other people from taking advantage of the seats.
Thank you again for your time, and we hope to see you again soon
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Reviews on here for this hotel are a bit mixed - you have to speak as you find. We have just returned from a five day stay at Malmaison Aberdeen, visiting family, we had excellent service, comfortable room and welcoming staff. Ate in the bar and brassiere on several occasions, again, excellent food and service.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Brandy,
thank you for taking the time to write your lovely comments, I am pleased you enjoyed yourself. we hope you will be coming back to Aberdeen soon.
I will share your comments with the team who would be delighted
Aberdeen,Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have never stayed in this hotel but have visited the restaurant a few times and the bar fairly often but I am unlikely to return.
When Malmaison opened in Aberdeen, the lounge bar was a very popular meeting place-particularly for drinks after work on Fridays. Service was impeccable with full time professional bar staff and complimentary nuts and olives which were regularly replenished.
I decided some time ago that I would not be returning to the restaurant-at least not if I was paying for it out of my own pocket-there was nothing wrong with the quality of the food it was just that the portion sizes were in inverse proportion to the prices.
After our last visit to the bar on Friday, we are unlikely to return to it either. The impeccable service had gone with the full time professionals replaced by the indolent part timers encountered far too often these days and a meagre dish of peanuts which was not replenished and no olives. When I ordered a G&T for my wife, I was given no choice of gin before a shot of Beefeater was thrown into an unsuitable glass then the whole bottle of tonic was chucked in all for the bargain price of £5.90.
It is the beer which particularly annoys me though. Some time ago Malmaison decided to do away with pint glasses and introduced schooners-not a measure for sherry as you might think but an Australian beer glass which I believe in that country is aimed at women who might want a slightly larger measure than a half pint. A friend and I ( and a number of other people I have seen) got round this by ordering two half pints at a time for each of us but on Friday we learned that half pint glasses had been withdrawn too.
These "schooners" hold two thirds of a pint and are priced at a whopping £3.80 which equates to £5.70 a pint which must surely be the most expensive Heineken lager in Scotland.
Perhaps this extreme pricing and the indifferent service had something to do with the bar being half empty with no familiar faces-I suspect the only other customers were hotel residents.
The Chester is opening shortly next door and Malmaison will have to up its game considerably if it hopes to compete with it.
Finally, I gather the Malmaison chain is no longer "dog-friendly" which is disappointing. I know one couple of friends who used to stay regularly at the Mal in Edinburgh primarily because they could take their Labrador with them but who will not be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your honest feedback, although we try and maintain a consistent team, change over in hospitality is very common thing, I will raise your concerns with the Bar manager over the staff comments you have made. I appreciate the Schnooer is not as common in the UK, however this is a brand policy and not an Aberdeen deviation, we have found it to be a HIT over the past 24 months of introducing it. As I had raised in my previous comment, the cost price of food has increased around 10% in the last 2 years alone and our prices are in line with our Fresh Produce. we are all looking forward to the Chester opening next door as it will bring more footfall back up the West End.
Aberdeen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Went for an anniversary meal in the Aberdeen Malmaison restaurant yesterday. We were giving it another chance, with the wife's pre-Christmas lunch being a disaster here previously. Soup which was clearly watered down and a pasta main that consisted of literally 3 pieces of ravioli, for around £5 a piece = £15. Terrible value. Probably a victim of the usual Christmas meal hike-in-prices.

Anyway, this second chance outing was slightly better. Menu choice is still limited. Fillet steak at nearly £31 is just a steak. No accompanying sides unless you wish to pay for the extras. Seems very mean indeed.

Over £107 for the two of us, 2 starters, 2 mains, one side, one £25 bottle and 2 drinks. A bit OTT hence my criticism over value for money.

However, contrast this with their Sunday Brunch offering and it's chalk and cheese. Excellent value for money. I last went with my brother and his family - 3 kids, 4 adults and just over £100 all in excluding drinks. Superb buffet offering, unrivalled I think in Aberdeen, hence its popularity.

Await with interest as to how the evening meal offerings are influenced by the opening of the old Simpsons Hotel next door. Hopefully Malmaison will up their evening meal offering accordingly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, and taking the time to share your experience with us. I appreciate some items on the menu are dearer than other, fillet is the most expensive cut of beef, however we do have a streak frites at a reasonable £21.00. Price of food has increased around 10% in the last 2 years alone.
Our Sunday Brunch is indeed a great value for money and is aimed at our local families for a relaxed Sunday treat. I am glad you enjoyed the Brunch and we hope to see you here again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Visited with my partner and my parents for a treat for my mums birthday! We upgraded to two junior suites which were lovely and spacious with a large bath in the bedroom! Very stylish! One of the rooms had a shower unit with four showers....!!!! Reception staff were very good, and informative. Rooms were clean, and mini bar well stocked! Went for a meal at the brasserie Which was super.... Only planned to have two courses but ended up having 4 courses!!! And cocktails! Very accommodating when asking to split the bill between the two rooms, however they did forget to take off the £20 per room food allowance which we had, but this was quickly sorted at reception when checking out without a fuss!! Cannot wait to stay again, and after visiting both Edinburgh and Glasgow MALS I still maintain Aberdeen is the best by far!

Stayed January 2014
thank you so much for your kind comments, and apologies for the belated response, I am very pleased that you had a great time, and we look forward to have you stay with us again! we have just launched a new menu in the Brasserie so please come and try some of our new dishes.
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Decent meal but the room, whilst nice, was across the corridor from the back door to the restaurant which had to be left open for some reason. We were also next door to a noisy function suite which meant staff standing outside our room door chatting waiting to go in and out. They'd set up some tables right outside our door for food to be left before going in/ cleared away so much clattering of plates etc. called reception after ten pm to ask that they close the restaurant door and keep it down, was told they'd call me back but they didn't. Girl on reception on check out was nice and we got a discount (she said they should have offered to move us) but we only get one anniversary night and having a young baby and limited childcare we won't get another night away anytime soon. Disappointing. Top tip: specifically avoid room 29 unless you sleep like a log.

• Stayed January 2014
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased the team offered you a discount on check in, ideally we should have offered to move your room, and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Please feel free to contact me direct on rsamaha@malmaison.com, we will be happy to offer you a preferential rate on your next stay. we hope you will give us the opportunity to make it up to you.
Best Regards