“Don't read all the reviews!”
Review of Malmaison Aberdeen

Malmaison Aberdeen
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 20 April 2014

TripAdvisor strikes again! You really do have to carefully read through some of the reviews - the best and the worst - and then make your own decision. This is an excellent hotel and the restaurant produced an excellent meal, but, reading their TA reviews could have put us off - and we are so glad we were not put off!

There was a very friendly welcome at the hotel and an upgrade to a wonderful terrace suite on the top floor. This was an impressive room with a stunning bathroom - well done Malmaison!

We wanted dinner on a Sunday night - and not everything was open in Aberdeen that was more highly rated so we went to the hotel restaurant. We enjoyed excellent steaks and a good house wine so were very happy with the whole experience. Don't worry about the waiting staff up-selling! Just order what you want and say 'no' to what you don't want!

We would highly recommend this hotel for a great stay in Aberdeen!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for your thorough review and sincere comments, we appreciate your feedback and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We will share your comments with the team and we look forward to welcome you back again to Malmaison Aberdeen.

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Aberdeen

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We enjoyed the hotel bar & restaurant. The bar had atmosphere & the restaurant food was very very good as was the service. Our room was a superior double. It was disappointing. A bit on the small side. No dressing table area to sit & do hair, just a mirror on the wall. The shower area was tight too, with a large shower head that was difficult to control. In general it was ok. Some of the bar staff seemed to be inexperienced & they struggled to cope in the not so busy spells! However they were pleasant & polite.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

thank you for your feedback, I will make sure the bar manager looks into your feedback and implement some training. We are pleased you had a good stay, in the future we recommend perhaps you upgrade to a Junior Suite for a larger choice of rooms.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We recently had dinner in the bistro to celebrate our friends anniversary. The atmospher is fantastic and the venue had a real wow factor. Staff were friendly and welcoming and couldnt have done more to make the evening special. The food is fantastic and I had the best steak I have ever tasted...even beating the Waldorf Estoria in New York which I thought was never going to be beaten. I would certainly recommend the restaurant as somewhere for a special occasion and would love to try out the hotel if on another visit to the city.
Many thanks to the team for going out of their way for a special visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your lovely comments, chef is delighted that you have enjoyed your steak, he is also delighted to beat the Astoria in NY, you have made his day. We are very pleased your trip was a success and we look forward to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Have often stayed at this comfortable hotel. I enjoy the comfortable rooms and crisp linen. Menus has changed since my last visit, lovely piece if sea bass. However all that aside it is the friendly staff that make the difference. Compliments to Evelina in the restaurant, knew the menu inside out, gave me enough time and space to enjoy each course, even managed to persuade me to have a quite lovely and light cheesecake. Take your time, enjoy the experience. It still competes with the new Chester.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at back of hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Doularg

Thank you very much for your kind comments, Evelina has been passed on your feedback, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel/restaurant.The service was good and the food was excellent.
It was not too expensive and i would definitely go back.
The bedrooms are very nice ,very comfy beds .All staff very helpful and polite

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Upperdysart

Thank you for your kind comments, we will ensure they are shared with the team, and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My comments relate to two visits in January. The first was a business dinner. The food was decidedly average. I had a pasta dish that was over cooked. It;s a great venue - no doubt about that.Visitors in business feel comfortable there because there is an air of expectation that you are going to get reasonable food at a reasonable service. It just seems to have really slipped even further though. The bizarre thing about the service was when ordering our main dishes the waiter proceeded to sell dessert by taking a most inappropriate leaf out of the Amazon dot com book of sales techniques. "Sir, what we find is that customers who order the pasta generally order the profiteroles for dessert! May I put you down for profiteroles?" Ok I really can't remember if it was profiteroles - but as each guest at the table ordered they encountered this over zealous and ill-fitting sales assault. Really... It's always notable that from the moment you are seated you are going to get the big sell for the extras - bread for the table, olives, bottled water etc etc etc but this is a step too far.

My second visit that month was to the bar again on business. We had in mind that we might venture through to the restaurant. One thing in its favour is that Mal Maison is good at accommodating late night diners. However, the waitress/bar made was in a sulk. We had been standing at the bar for about three minutes when my colleague had the temerity to ask the bar maid if there was anyone serving as she strutted past. "Wait a minute!" she barked. She came back a minute later and demanded to know what we wanted. "Could I have an orange juice and grenadine?" asked the unfortunate fellow. "A what?" She snarled. He repeated it and she sighed. He said we will have three glasses of Merlot. Off she went to fulfill the order. We drank up but had lost all interest in staying so we left.

I haven't been back since. No doubt I'll be obliged to return at some point because when a client picks the venue you don\t want to appear negative - however, I'm getting close to it because after all you want a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank AGordon789
Roula S, General Manager at Malmaison Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate your feedback and would have hoped that this was brought to my attention earlier to enable us to identify the service failings and deal with them. Most of our team has changed since January with students movements and career developments. I will share your comments with the team to ensure that we learn from our mistakes Our teams are incentivised to upsell like most businesses this is a great skill, I appreciate maybe the waiter employed a creative tactic that may seem far fetched; non the less we encourage the staff not to be order taker but sales assistants.
I do hope your client picks this venue soon in the future to enable you to experience the changes in the past 3 months.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We had lunch here the other day and have vowed now not to return after another very disappointing experience. The food, although nice was cold and the service was slow despite there being only three/four other tables with guests. My husband received the wrong sauce for his steak and despite waiters going passed our table we could not get a response so he ate the steak without any sauce.
We have stayed at the Malmaison several times since it opened and initially you we guaranteed a great time. However, the over last year or so the food and service has been terrible. On one occasion, when dining with friends we had our starters delivered before we got our dinks and even then it was at least twenty minutes after ordering!
This hotel has got constantly worse and each time we say we wont return but invariably end up doing so in the hope things have improved but I'm sorry to say they haven't.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I would really appreciate if you could email me direct with some more specifics of your experience so I can follow up personally with all concerned. I am sorry you did not enjoy your meal and was let down by the service.
My email address is rsamaha@malmaison.com