As stated in the title, this is the third visit to the Mal, Aberdeen in as many months each time, mid-week because of business commitments. The two occasions before, we were very happy, thank you very much! The Superior rooms are delightful with a separate shower and bath, lovely surroundings in the room and free internet - perfect! Thank goodness for that, when you're a tired business traveller, spending weeks in hotels.
However, we have become increasingly despondent with the brasserie. On each occasion, we have elected to use the 2000 Two Dine for £29 voucher, where you get a bottle of wine thrown in. The first and second occasions, the food was very nice, with bread, tapenade 'starter' just arriving without even being ordered. Nice touch we thought! The third occasion, last week, it started with having to pay for the bread and tapenade without knowing about it. Now, that might sound petty, so let me quantify it.
When you're used to being given loaves of bread by really attentive staff who know what they're doing and have a smile on their face, that's just great. Couple that with delicious blade of beef main courses and you're on to a winner. When you go back and all you get is an attempt to sell you up all the time "would you like water with your meal...yes.....still or sparkling.... tap, thanks' and then extras charged, you walk away feeling a bit sad. In addition, ordering mackerel main courses and one small fillet arrives with barely anything else on the plate and you begin to feel ripped off, especially when you're paying £150 for the night (and no breakfast)
So, all in all, we do like the Mal alot for the luxury of a steam room, the trendy staff and nice bed linen - especially when everywhere else in Aberdeen is pretty poor. However, if there is a next time, we might not just bother with the brasserie and eat somewhere else. It's a real shame - people warned us that Mal Aberdeen is getting an 'upsell/ expensive' reputation and we didn't heed, so beware.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Malmaison Aberdeen is the latest luxury hotel to join the Malmaison family. This boutique hotel used to be the famous Queen’s Hotel and truly is fit for a Queen. Retreat from daily life in the spa or enjoy a work out at the gym. Look no further than Malmaison Aberdeen for the perfect venue for business trips or leisure breaks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline, Lastminute, TripOnline SA, HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Malmaison Aberdeen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malmaison Aberdeen Hotel Aberdeen
- Malmaison Hotel Aberdeen
- Aberdeen Malmaison Hotel
- Malmaison Aberdeen Scotland