“Luxurious”
Review of Malmaison Aberdeen

Malmaison Aberdeen
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My wife and I have now stayed twice in the same room at the Aberdeen Malmaison - the 1st time on a Christmas deal; the 2nd time as part of a theatre deal. We liked the room as it is a good size, the bed is comfortable & the black/tartan decor to our liking. However, we just loved the bathroom! Superb bath and fantastic drench shower - you could stay for hours under it! In fact we used some of Malmaison's ideas when having our own bathroom refurbished recently! Staff were helpful and attentive both at reception and in the restaurant. The restaurant is attractive and food very good though pricey if you aren't on any deal. We would definitely consider staying here again - if the price is right!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2010

We really enjoyed our stay in the Malmaison in Aberdeen early this year. The staff on reception were very welcoming and we were really pleased with our room. It was big and with a comfortable bed and a lovely clean bathroom. I was pleased to see the room had incorporated some 'Scottish touches' as well....the carpet was a tartan and the bed had a tartan throw.

The hotel as a whole is well situated on an elegant street, very nice and I really liked the decor in both the bar and restaurant. We enjoyed a drink in the pleasant bar before having dinner in the restaurant. Again, the service in the restaurant was very good and attentive but I though the food was just okay...nothing special and quite expensive. However, I thought the wine list was extensive and the wine we chose was very good. We also had breakfast in the restaurant and the choice was wide. From the menu I chose a full Scottish breakfast. I thought the food tasty but there wasn't enough of it!

A good experience which I would recommed. It would be nice to have more time to take advantage of the spa facilities.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2010

..after staying in the centre of town for 2 days I decided to try here. Got a rate less than what I was paying for basic in town centre. The decor is amazing and the staff really nice. Value for money was great and the breakfast had a tasty traditional scottish selection. Having stayed in a lot of quality hotels the only things that bothered me 1) the rooms are decorated mostly in grey and black which is nice but only works if you have a lot of light. My room was lacking lights to put on make up and for my partner to shave. One light above the sink is not good. 2) although the bed linen is lovely and good quality , we found the matteress very hard. On the flight that night was shoulder was aching from the bed but I guess that is more personal choice. All in all a great stay and I would go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights while on business, got a great business rate. Hotel is very trendy with very modern decor. The bed is very comfortable and the rain shower is divine! I enjoyed the box breakfast every morning although i wish they would call to let you know it has arrived instead of leaving it outside your door. The hotel has a very hip and popular bar and the scottish displays are very nice. The restaurant i would say did not wow me, i had high expectations but the food did not live up to par, it was good not excellent. Its in a nice location in a nice neighborhood less than 5 minute cab drive to the main street with all the nightlife, shops and restaurants. This will always be my hotel of choice for a stay in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I’ve stayed in quite a few hotels in the Aberdeen area and this is definitely my favourite. It isn’t very big but it’s stylish, welcoming and the rooms are very homely. I had a beautiful room in the eaves with a very grand bathroom. Everywhere was really clean and fresh.
I ordered room service and while the meal was nice I thought it was overpriced. I had tried to walk out of the hotel (right) but there was nothing there. I think if I’d walked the other way I may have had more luck finding something.
Unfortunately I’m usually stuck in Dyce or Portlethen but if I’m able to stay in the city again I’d definitely stay here for a great night’s sleep.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank axcooper
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Its hard to fault the malmaison as a building. Great little hotel. If the staff could just a little more attention to detail then the hotel might just be perfect. I stayed here for the best part of month for a business trip. The hotel held its own for that period but felt no recognition from the staff that I was giving them more business than probably 90% of their other clientele.

Minor requests or gripes (like my room key constantly wiping itself, after I'd climbed 3 flights of stairs) at the front desk were more "huff, puff, blow the house down" rather than "three bags full Mr", that was rather disappointing given that I spend almost £3000 at the hotel over the month and a bit.

On a chain level, I'm also disappointed that Malmaison has no loyality scheme. Again when you stay there for more than a twelve of the year, you think you might have something to show for it.

Postivies about the building, rooms were immaculate, comfy, felt very homely. Bar is also very nice and its especially good on a Friday night.

Negatives, food is expensive, especially room service. Food is below par for what they charge.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Stuart G
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Stayed here with my wife for a romantic night, our first impressions were quickly changed for the worse, on checking in we were informed there would no electricity the next morning between 10-11am for maintenance work (I KID YOU NOT) although the staff are very nice.

Our room for the money £145 was a let down, carpet sticking up, toilet seat broken, and view from the window a wall 2 feet away, no snacks in the mini fridge, only got one bath towel.

Never ate in the hotel so cant rate the evening menu, bar is really nice with friendly staff and good choice of drinks, breakfast the next morning was good, lots of choice but we had to hurry before the electric was switched off.

Back to the room to get ready to leave, yep you guessed it the electric went off so had to get changed and packed in the dark.

NEVER in all my years have i ever came across anything like this in a so called top hotel, we had to up and leave because the whole hotel was in darkess.

This a nice hotel let badly down by silly little problems, and as such i wouldnt go back, there's far better hotels in Aberdeen that charge a lot less as well...

As for the electric........?????????????

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple